It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-27-2011, 07:15 PM   #1
(male)

Ross28 HB User
Minor Calcaneus Fracture, Non-surgery: Recovery/Military Duty?

Greetings all,

BACKGROUND: On 7/16/11, I landed directly on my right heel while playing basketball. Thinking it was only a bruise (and full of adrenaline), I continued to play. Immediately after the game, I kept the foot elevated and iced it throughout the evening.

The next morning, the bruising and swelling had increased significantly, so I went to the ER. They took X-rays, but the ER doctor could not make out any fracture. However, the bruising and swelling had him concerned, so he referred me to see a DPM in a few days, after bruising and swelling had gone down. My foot was placed in a splint and I was NWB until my appointment with Podiatry.

I had my appointment with the DPM a few days later, on 7/21. DPM confirmed that I did indeed have a fracture and showed me the X-ray. It was a long crack along the top of the calcaneus. I was placed in a full cast, and told I would need to be in it, NWB, for six to eight weeks.

On 8/11, I had my first follow-up. They took some more X-rays and the DPM (a different one) said that the healing process going was going well. However, due to the location of fracture (top of the calcaneus, just below the ankle), I would be in a cast (NWB) another six (6) weeks. The rationale behind this was because there was a chance that the fracture could collapse, causing even more severe injury. I have another follow-up appointment this Thursday (9/1).

QUESTIONS: I estimate the cast will be off on 9/22. What can I expect after cast removal? Difficulty walking? Pain? Rehab/PT?

Also, I was supposed to ship out for Army Basic Training on 9/20. Obviously that's not going to happen. Assuming the cast will come off on 9/22 and that I am not medically disqualified, how long will it be before I am fully healed and ready to ship?

Thank you all in advance!

Last edited by Ross28; 08-27-2011 at 07:17 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-27-2011, 09:37 PM   #2
(female)

indaslot HB Userindaslot HB Userindaslot HB Userindaslot HB Userindaslot HB Userindaslot HB User
Re: Minor Calcaneus Fracture, Non-surgery: Recovery/Military Duty?

Sorry for your injury. You will need to speak to your doctor regarding the protocol for return to activities, but keep in mind that your leg will have been immobilized for a long period, you will have muscle atrophy and your leg bones will have lost density and will need time to rebuild. If you do too much too soon you risk getting stress fractures so it is important to progress somewhat systematically.

Closed Thread