It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-28-2011, 05:16 PM   #1
(female)

transparent HB User
calcaneus - to operate or not

Hi,

I broke my calcaneus bone Aug. 11 and am tentatively scheduled for surgery the first week of Sept. It is a multiple break with displacement. I'm curious about the experience of folks who have healed without surgery as well as those who have healed with surgery and why they chose one option over the other. As a very active walker (three miles a day), I'm very concerned about my ability to be active again. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Old 08-29-2011, 08:05 AM   #2
(male)

dexatech HB Userdexatech HB Userdexatech HB Userdexatech HB Userdexatech HB Userdexatech HB User
Re: calcaneus - to operate or not

I shattered my heel in about 30 pieces. I choose surgery mainly so that I do not have to spend time and money on "special shoes." Has turned out good for me for the last 10 years.

Every injury is different and one should research and get opinions from at least a couple of doctors before deciding which is right for them. There are no guantees either way.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-29-2011, 08:25 PM   #3
(female)

Vicky446 HB User

I had surgery, and my foot is doing great. It was a stage 4 fracture, and I can walk 4 miles easily a day. A bit stiff in the morning and night, but I tend to sit with my foot under me which probably doesn't help. Most painful thing I ever went through. My surgery was probably 5 years ago now.

Old 08-29-2011, 09:31 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Zerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB User

I shattered my calc and talus in 09. They wanted to operate but I was to swollen and blistered.

I wonder if I would have been better off, and I wonder of they operate to much. I a, not in the mood to go through surgery and the recovery again. I may someday.

I do well and I am do ok on uneven surfaces. I do have pain based on use. Arthitis is coming someday, or maybe is here.

If I had the option for surgery I would have done it. Its yet to be seen if I am glad I didn't though.

Old 08-30-2011, 03:57 PM   #5
(male)

Toyman57 HB UserToyman57 HB UserToyman57 HB UserToyman57 HB User

I shattered my heel bone and flattened the STJ with minimal displacement in Dec 09, I was 52 and a non smoker. No surgery, I feel that I am doing fine. I do have some mild pain when I over do things. I can walk many miles with no problems and uneven surfaces are not a problem. Doc says says Uncle Arthur is comming. Everybodys injury is different, so far I think I made the right choice. Get all the info you can then make your choice. Good Luck

Old 08-30-2011, 04:21 PM   #6
(male)

Cashap HB User

My surgery was 2 years ago. My choice was to correct the slight displacement, compressed and 2 fractures. Surgery having installed 1 plate and 8 pins. 8 months recovery. At this point exactly 2 years later, I have loss of range in motion, nerve damage from the right side heel towards the right 3 toes. Not gonna sugar coat this injury. But, long periods of time on my feet bother. I stopped jogging and took up spin classes bike riding for my cardio. I have an appointment next week to see if there is possibility to remove the pins. My decision to choose surgery was based on healing with the bones the way they are or correct the problem... I went with the doctors recommendation.

Old 02-11-2013, 06:28 AM   #7
(male)

mitchrapp HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman57 View Post
I shattered my heel bone and flattened the STJ with minimal displacement in Dec 09, I was 52 and a non smoker. No surgery, I feel that I am doing fine. I do have some mild pain when I over do things. I can walk many miles with no problems and uneven surfaces are not a problem. Doc says says Uncle Arthur is comming. Everybodys injury is different, so far I think I made the right choice. Get all the info you can then make your choice. Good Luck
Fell last week. Broke heel bone. Thinking of opting out of surgery which seems to be a doctor protocol. Am 66, in excellent condition besides, and not going to stress this with surgery. Keeping foot up for next 3 months and will see doctor shortly so she can read me the mri. Not in severe pain at present. I know she thinks surgery, but her thoughs are not mine. Any suggestions, ideas, help appreciated. thank you

Closed Thread