It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-29-2011, 09:26 PM   #1
(male)

pink1987 HB User
Broken 5th Metatarsal (Non-Jones Fracture)

On July 24th I broke my 5th metatarsal playing ball hockey. It was a really innocent looking injury and I managed to hobble around and play the rest of the game on it. After the game I took off my shoe to find a badly swollen foot and went straight to the emergency room.

X-Rays revealed that I had a broken fifth metatarsal at the center of the shaft of the bone. I have been in an aircast and on crutches ever since. The pain and the swelling have slowly started to dissapate, but I just don't feel like much progress is being made. I was at the doctor a week ago, and the bones still have made very little movement towards union and I'm starting to get a little disheartened.

I've read some absolute horror stories about this particular injury but mostly of the Jones Fracture variety. The original doctor thought it might be about a six week injury, but the most recent visit suggested to anticipate something closer to 3 months once this is all said and done.

I don't smoke and I am all things considered a very healthy young man who is getting real close to going absolutely stir crazy staying off my feet for this long. The majority of the reads I find on injuries of the fifth metatarsal are of the Jones Fracture variety, so I'm curious to hear stories/recovery times/tales of encouragment from people who may have broken center shaft of this same bone. Hockey season starts up here again in a few weeks, and I'm trying to map out a return date, or if I will be returning to action at all before the new year.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread

Tags
fifth metatarsal, recovery expectation