It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-30-2011, 11:43 AM   #1
(female)

65yearold HB User
bunion surgery by a podiatrist

I have a huge bunion on my left foot and a contracted second toe. But I have no pain. The second toe overlaps on the first toe. The toes are getting worse and worse. I need bunion surgery. A friend gave me the name of S. Nadal and I went to his office. He said he uses the minimally invasive procedures which are different from the conventional bunion surgery procedures. He said he would charge me $6000 for the surgery. He said there will be only little pain in the surgery and recovery takes only 6 weeks. I don't know how good are Dr. Nadal's minimally invasive procedures. Will the bunion come back after a few years and I need a second surgery? Is $6000 fee too much or standard? Anybody who have had bunion surgery done by Dr. S. Nadal? Is it wise to have the surgery done by a podiatrist? Can anybody give me some advice? If I opt for a podiatric surgeon, do I have to wait for a long time?

Old 08-30-2011, 06:19 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: bunion surgery by a podiatrist

I can't speak for the health system in Canada but there is no way I would let a podiatrist do this on me. I have a pod whom I like and use for some things. But foot surgery involving cutting bones is not one. I would use a sports med ortho who is foot and ankle board certified. They have many more years of study than pods.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-30-2011, 09:09 PM   #3
(female)

creative2 HB User

I would recommend that you do much more research before agreeing to this procedure. Minimally invasive bunion surgery is not considered the standard of care in podiatry for a number of reasons including:
1. It does not properly correct the angle of the bones.
2. They could accidentally damage or severe a nerve resulting in lifetime chronic pain and disability.
3. Canadian podiatrists do not have hospital privileges. They do surgery in their offices where they are not subject to peer evaluation.

The price you were quoted is ridiculously high. A top notch orthopaedic surgeon would not charge anywhere near that amount.

Some names of good surgeons in Toronto are: Dr. Daniels, Dr. Law and Dr. English.

If you are in a hurry, you could opt to go to a good surgeon in the US instead.

Old 08-31-2011, 02:37 PM   #4
(female)

nicky87 HB User
Smile Re: bunion surgery by a podiatrist

Definitely do some research before you have this done. And $6,000 for the surgery sounds about right and well worth it, especially if you find the right podiatrist. But if I were you, Id have this done in the US by someone who has performed many of these surgeries and is foot and ankle board certified. Dr. Martin in Wilmington, North Carolina did my bunion surgery back in November 2010 and he did a wonderful job. I had terrible pain in mine and it actually got to the point where I couldn't exercise anymore because of it and I could never get any of those idiot doctors back in MS to do mine but within a couple of months of living here in NC, it took no time for me to have the consultation, xrays, and then finally the surgery, which was very successful.

The bad thing about bunions though, is that there is a chance it could come back, but thats not every case. I would at least talk to an experienced podiatrist and see what your options are.

Hope this helps!

Old 08-31-2011, 02:45 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

dee088 HB Userdee088 HB Userdee088 HB Userdee088 HB Userdee088 HB Userdee088 HB Userdee088 HB Userdee088 HB Userdee088 HB Userdee088 HB Userdee088 HB User

Let us know you decision on your surgurey. I need the same surgurey and in no hurry because I am scared. Don't know what to expect.

Old 09-04-2011, 09:45 PM   #6
(female)

dncergrl53 HB User

I had bunion surgery by a podiatrist and he did a fabulous job. I visited 2 orthopedic surgeons and they were dismissive over this "small" procedure. One I later found out is a bit of a "cowboy". And my podiatrist teaches new podiatrists and he was doing so, during my procedure in his office. Just because someone is board certified in the USA does not guarantee that you will get top notch care.

Old 09-04-2011, 11:43 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

dee088 HB Userdee088 HB Userdee088 HB Userdee088 HB Userdee088 HB Userdee088 HB Userdee088 HB Userdee088 HB Userdee088 HB Userdee088 HB Userdee088 HB User

Good idea, I'll asked mine if he'll do my surgury

Old 09-05-2011, 01:44 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Northwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB User

I had the choice of having my toe joint fused by either a podiatrist or an orthopaedic surgeon. As it turned out, the orthopod was the better choice for me. I also live in Canada, and would have had to pay for the podiatrist to do the surgery. It would have been done in the hospital, with all the supports of any other surgery. I knew this man did good work as my GP at the time had done anaesthesia for his surgeries.

I am with the rest who say do some research. You are in Toronto, and have some good resources. I have seen good things about the surgeons mentioned. Sometimes "minimally invasive" is not the best choice for that joint. The joint takes a lot of weight and there is a lot of torque on it. You do not want to have more surgeries than is necessary. I know that in my case, the minimally invasive procedure would not have lasted long, and I would have been having the fusion anyway at a later date.

BTW, I am not suggesting that fusion is the surgery for you. I am only mentioning it since I had surgery on the same joint. My reason for surgery was very different from yours.

Good luck!

Old 09-05-2011, 07:36 PM   #9
Veteran
(female)

Thanks for your info. I'll have the dr assess me. It sounds scary. but it has to be done soon! to much pain. Thank you again.! Tack care!

Old 09-05-2011, 08:00 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Northwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dee088 View Post
It sounds scary. but it has to be done soon! to much pain.

Good luck! I was very scared before I had my surgery. I had some crazy dreams, and was freaked about it. By the time I got to the OR I was ready and no longer nervous.I knew it was something that had to be done. Now I realize I should have done it much sooner.

I just participated in a walk for cancer. I walked 60kms in two days - 35 kms the first day, and 25 the second. It was in Vancouver which had a lot of hills! I never could have done that two years ago! The same walk will be in Toronto next weekend.

Here's hoping you will be able to do a long walk in the future!

Old 09-05-2011, 09:44 PM   #11
(female)

dncergrl53 HB User

This is a very personal decision. My foot hurt, but I could live with with it and I wanted some range of motion in my toe for dancing as long as possible. My podiatrist knew that I did NOT want the joint fused and agreed not to do it. In contrast one orthopod said it had to be fused at my age and that is what he would do. Said I would be able to walk without pain. Walk? Harrumph!

Long story short, that was a few years ago and my unfused toe and I took 3 dance classes this weekend, jumping, turning and generally acting half my age. I love my podiatrist.

Old 09-05-2011, 09:47 PM   #12
(female)

dncergrl53 HB User

The trick to avoiding pain post surgery is to lie down with your foot above the level of your heart for a full 6 weeks, like a bird hatching an egg. There are no shortcuts to bone healing.

Old 09-06-2011, 09:49 AM   #13
Veteran
(female)

Northwind, what an inspiration you are. First you calmed some of my fears (not all) but most. Second congrats on your walk for cancer 60 kms! That is a great feat in itself. Kudos to you! I'll get the surgery soon. Thank You!

Old 09-06-2011, 10:19 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

I'm glad I could help dee. It was a thrill to be able to raise so much money for such a cause. It was also great to be able to walk that far and have only normal aches and pains as a result.

There is no doubt this type of surgery is scary. For me, the idea that the joint would be destroyed freaked me out. I then realized that the joint was already wrecked, so I had nothing to lose, and hopefully lots to gain. Thankfully, I gained. I asked the doctor if the joint would eventually fuse itself. He said it would but that it would be more painful. That is when I asked where I had to sign.

Old 09-06-2011, 07:33 PM   #15
Veteran
(female)

Thank to all the members with their info. I want to walk normal with no pain. To dance, to walk a marathon, everything!!! I seen my podotrist 1 time and will see him next week, Monday. I'll talk to him and so what he has to say, so will be ok now with me. Once again, thank you all!!!

Closed Thread