It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-31-2011, 07:17 AM   #1
(male)

cwbjwb2005 HB User
How to tell if heel is broken? No bruising/swelling

I fell of a ladder a week ago today from about 5 feet high. It has been hurting but as long as I walk on the side of my foot it is completely bearable. The problem is that it seems to be getting worse. There is a small amount of swelling and no bruising at all. Could I have broken my heel? How bad would it be if I let this heal on its own? I am a runner so the last thing I want is for this to be a long term problem.

Thanks ahead

Old 08-31-2011, 10:48 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Zerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB User
Re: How to tell if heel is broken? No bruising/swelling

I rely on a doctor to tell me these kind of things. Longer you wait, the more risk you have of doing more damage, or the windows of recovery closing for you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-01-2011, 11:08 PM   #3
(male)

cwbjwb2005 HB User

I have already made an appointment, it is tomorrow at 3. At first I didnt think twice about it because it was hardly affecting me. I just noticed it hadnt gotten better and decided to take it more serious.

I've read alot and from everything i can tell it is probably a minor simple fracture. It is barely swollen, no bruising and I can easily walk with a slight limp with no pain. I guess the xrays will tell me tomorrow.

Old 09-02-2011, 09:26 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Zerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB User

If it is actually broken, walking on it probably was a mistake. There is a reason why the docs order weeks non weight bearing.

Old 09-04-2011, 12:54 PM   #5
(male)

cwbjwb2005 HB User

I am going for a second opinion as soon as possible. The xrays came back negative, no break. Doctor said that it was just bruised really bad and that I needed to walk on it instead of limping on the outside of my foot because that would cause a stress fracture. It has been two days now of me walking on it and it is already significantly worse and now I cant put any weight on it at all without excruciating pain, no matter how much advil I take. Thoughts?

Old 09-04-2011, 01:10 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

roxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB User

Get another opinion. Stress fractures do no always show up on films. You may want to use crutches to keep pressure off of the foot until you know what is wrong with the foot. It is also possible that there is tendon or ligament damage which will NOT show up on an xray

Closed Thread