It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-01-2011, 12:24 PM   #1
(female)

PinkEarthMama HB UserPinkEarthMama HB User
OCD / Microfracture FAIL! Good new/ bad news?

Yesterday, I went in for arthroscopic surgery, listed as " Debridement, removal of foreign body, microfracture of talar dome defect ".

I came out of sedation ( what a horrible experience, no more students for me ! ) to find that the surgeon did.... nothing. Zero. Zip. Zilch.

My MRI 18 months ago showed several torn ligaments, a talar dome defect, and damaged cartilage. During the scope, though, the surgeon found that the cartilage was in much better shape than she anticipated. She did NOT microfracture because she was NOT going through healthy cartilage to do so. There was no foreign body that she could find, either. She did a tiny bit of debridement, but that was it.

What she DID find, however, is that my ligaments are " non existant " and I will need surgery to " tighten them ". I haven't spoken to her since waking up in recovery, so I have no idea what this actually means.

Meanwhile, my ankle is so full of fluid from the scope that I cannot keep it stable. I can weight bear fine, but my ankle wobbles horribly. I was under the impression that I'd be walking normally today.

Any thoughts or words of advice? I'm a bit upset.... I don't enjoy anesthesia and I'm pretty ****** off that I am not any better today than I was two days ago. I admit I was looking forward to being more stable!

Old 09-02-2011, 04:52 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

K_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB User
Re: OCD / Microfracture FAIL! Good new/ bad news?

If your ligaments were shown torn on MRI, then how come their was no plan at this surgery to fix them as well as the scope? I'd be mad you have to do another surgery. You can have ligaments and tendons fixed as well as microfracture in the same surgery. I have.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-02-2011, 06:36 AM   #3
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_Lana View Post
If your ligaments were shown torn on MRI, then how come their was no plan at this surgery to fix them as well as the scope? I'd be mad you have to do another surgery. You can have ligaments and tendons fixed as well as microfracture in the same surgery. I have.
My surgeon says that she uses too much irrigation during the arthoscopy to be able to do the ligaments at the same time. ( She let me know in advance that she was doing 2 surgeries instead of 1 ) I *am* mad though that this surgery accomplished *NOTHING* and now i am more unstable than before. With 6 kids, I cannot afford to be unstable.

Old 09-02-2011, 07:06 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

K_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB User

I've had all that done twice and the first time I had no scope, they opened up for microfracture and for ligament. THe other time I had a scope plus ligaments. What she said doesn't make sense. 2 surgeries has to be riskier than one.

Old 09-02-2011, 07:18 AM   #5
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_Lana View Post
I've had all that done twice and the first time I had no scope, they opened up for microfracture and for ligament. THe other time I had a scope plus ligaments. What she said doesn't make sense. 2 surgeries has to be riskier than one.
Hmm. That is frustrating. I know the original plan was to microfracture and then do 6 months of PT in the hopes that the ligaments would strengthen. I know they were in much worse shape than she expected. It could also be that I'm in Canada, and they space things out very, very, very differently.

Old 09-03-2011, 06:22 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Could be, but I was told if I didn't have my ligaments done at the same time, then the instability would just keep irritating the OCD. Think of bones clunking around. So if anything, I'd think they'd do the ligaments first. I sure hope you can get this fixed. I'd be so frustrated to have gone for surgery and not have everything addressed.

Old 09-03-2011, 11:02 PM   #7
(male)

LivesNearStore HB UserLivesNearStore HB UserLivesNearStore HB UserLivesNearStore HB UserLivesNearStore HB UserLivesNearStore HB UserLivesNearStore HB UserLivesNearStore HB User

From my limited experience (one ankle scope with OCD microfracture), it would be normal for your ankle to be less stable for at least a few days after surgery. Even if she did not do ligament work or microfracture, just going in with the scope is going to cause some swelling and scarring. You might try resting the foot and elevating and icing to make the swelling go down.

In my case I had to wear a boot and use crutches for 11 days, then continue wearing the boot until 5 weeks after surgery. Not sure how much of that was to protect the microfracture from normal weight bearing and how much was to let the rest of the ankle heal up. I suggest you call the doctor and ask her if you are supposed to walk on it immediately or rest it for a few days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkEarthMama View Post
Yesterday, I went in for arthroscopic surgery, listed as " Debridement, removal of foreign body, microfracture of talar dome defect ".
<snip>
Meanwhile, my ankle is so full of fluid from the scope that I cannot keep it stable. I can weight bear fine, but my ankle wobbles horribly. I was under the impression that I'd be walking normally today.
<snip>
I'm pretty ****** off that I am not any better today than I was two days ago. I admit I was looking forward to being more stable!

Old 09-04-2011, 09:37 AM   #8
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LivesNearStore View Post
From my limited experience (one ankle scope with OCD microfracture), it would be normal for your ankle to be less stable for at least a few days after surgery. Even if she did not do ligament work or microfracture, just going in with the scope is going to cause some swelling and scarring. You might try resting the foot and elevating and icing to make the swelling go down.

In my case I had to wear a boot and use crutches for 11 days, then continue wearing the boot until 5 weeks after surgery. Not sure how much of that was to protect the microfracture from normal weight bearing and how much was to let the rest of the ankle heal up. I suggest you call the doctor and ask her if you are supposed to walk on it immediately or rest it for a few days.
Her instructions said I should walk out of the hospital fairly normally! The swelling goes up and down right now. I've had a few bad twists ( mostly where I am standing still and turn my body - foot doesn't move, ankle pops... or I'm walking and put my foot down " normally " and it rolls to the inside )

My physio friend said there is no surgeon here who would do ligaments & arthoscopy at the same time, too much fluids would make the repair much harder.

I will callt he surgeon tuesday and ask about some other kind of brace. I'm getting very depressed from not being able to walk reasonably normally.

Closed Thread