It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-01-2011, 03:32 PM   #1
(female)

molliefrog24 HB User
UCBL orthotics with wrong diagnosis!!

i REALLY need some help here! i am so overwhelmed!!

a little backstory...(i know some of you have seen this backstory in recent posts and hopefully, those people will see this post also)

i am 26 years old. when i was 11 i had flat foot reconstruction on my left foot. when i was 17, i had the same surgery on my right foot.

i always had atrophy in my left calf as a complication from the surgery. i also always wore custom made orthotics. over the years, i was limited on my feet due to migratory pains and dealt with a good amount of fatigue from the atrophy but was still able to function normally.

then, in 2010, i started getting pain in the medial ankle area. my physical therapist told me i had posterior tibial tendon dysfuntion. we did exercises and stretches and the pain went away. then, february of this year, the pain came back worse then before and never stopped. the more i tried to be on my feet, the worse the pain got. i put myself on crutches because the pain was so bad and thinking that maybe it needed to rest. i was on crutches putting all my weight on the right foot for 3 months. during this time, my left calf/leg has become even weaker than it was before because of the inactivity.i also bought myself an aircast pttd brace which didn't help much. finally, i got insurance and was referred to an orthopaedic doctor who "specializes in feet". i got xrays done and he said structurally, i looked fine. but, seeing how i was in all this pain and still on crutches, he wrote an order for new orthotics for "posterior tibial tendonitis"(the ones i was wearing were 6 years old). he also sent me to physical therapy.

when i went to get fitted for the orthotics, i found out they were going to be UCBL. when i started wearing them, they felt ok but i was never able to really test them out because i wasn't able to bear weight for long. i decided to see a different doctor, someone who is more well-known and knowledgeable. when he evaluated me, he didn't seem to think i had PTTD. he ordered an MRI of both feet (because i also have an overuse injury in the right foot.. i might have partially torn my plantar fascia).

the MRI showed that my left foot posterior tibial tendon looked fine! and so did all the other tendons. he said that it looked like my surgery was done well. so all this time....i was misdiagnosed completely!! AND given UCBL orthotics before getting an MRI!! UCBL orthotics are complete motion control for people with adult aquired flatfoot/ptt tendon problems.

the MRI DID show some fluid in the back of my ankle. he believes that i have scar tissue built up in the medial ankle area (because of the surgery) and they would have to do an anthroscopy. he gave me time to think about it. the problem is, my right foot has gotten worse lately (even taping it isn't helping like it used to). so , i want to treat the right foot first before i do anything with the left.

my other problem is, since i found out that i don't have PTTD, i've been trying to walk more on it (since i don't have to fear that i will make the tendon worse or potentially tear it) and the pain lately has subsided some anyway(either due to physical therapy, chance, or both..) and since the right foot has been really bad lately, i've been trying to put more weight on the left foot. after doing this though, i started getting awful awful throbbing aching pain in my left arch yesterday evening and it hasn't stopped. the pain feels like it's in the bone. and after reading about UCBL orthotics, i learned that they put a ton of pressure on the arch area!
i'm assuming that since i don't have PTTD, UCBL orthotics are probably not good for me, right??

has anyone ever had this problem with UCBL orthotics? when i go back to my doctor on the 12th, i'm going to figure out the right foot. but, i'm definitely going to ask him about getting different orthotics. my insurance paid for these ones.. but, are they going to pay for a different pair?? i was given them for a misdiagnosis! it's the other doctor's fault for not ordering an MRI to make sure. it will really suck if i have to pay for a new pair myself because of a doctor's mistake!

what type of orthotics should i be wearing? i've always worn rigid orthotics with a medial and heel support because my left foot does overpronate some still, but i don't want to overcorrect.. but i definitely need support to maintain what the surgery corrected. same with the right foot. i just don't know what to do for now... my arch is killing me! but, when i go back to my old orthotics, they don't help.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-01-2011, 04:13 PM   #2
(female)

swimbunnie HB Userswimbunnie HB Userswimbunnie HB Userswimbunnie HB Userswimbunnie HB Userswimbunnie HB Userswimbunnie HB User
Re: UCBL orthotics with wrong diagnosis!!

Why don't you give your 2nd ortho doc a call and ask him. He'd be much better qualified to answer your questions than any of us....if he's hard to get on phone, see if he has an email address where you can ask your questions.

Closed Thread