It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-04-2011, 11:53 AM   #1
(male)

TomMc HB User
Post Calcaneus Surgery Recovery

Hello All, I was operated on for a shatter Calaneus on 7/25/11. I had an ell shaped plate installed with 9 screws. I had the incision staples removed on 8/5/11 and given a removable boot to inmobilize the foot. On 9/2/11 had a chec up with the Dr. and was told all is going well and to start flexing the foot and that I only needed to wear the boot with going out. I have been soaking the foot. There is still swelling and I keep the foot elevated as much as I can. How long before the swelling subsides? It feels like I am stepping on jello, when I place any weight on it. Should I apply ice to reduce swelling. Thanks, Tom

Last edited by TomMc; 09-05-2011 at 12:34 PM. Reason: misspelled word and add

Old 09-12-2011, 07:29 PM   #2
(male)

beetlejuice82 HB User
Re: Post Calcaneus Surgery Recovery

I had my calcaneus surgery in May, followed by a skin graft surgery in July, and I just returned to work last week. My foot is still very swollen, especially after putting weight on it again. The swelling will come and go for six months or more, but my osteo surgeon gave me the advice to apply ice and keep the foot raised to reduce swelling.
I haven't used ice for swelling since returning to work, but my injury appears to be different. If you have excessive swelling that doesn't subside with rest, you need to notify your doctor. Best wishes for good healing!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-25-2012, 07:55 PM   #3
(female)

curlyseller HB User

My husband broke his calcaneus 9/5/12. Had 2 screws put in 9/10/12-at the 6 week chk up...we were told the heel has collapsed and surgery failed. They are going to take the screws out 10/31/12 and we will see what happens. The screws were pointing up into the joint. The swelling is still bad and we elevate every night. He is so depressed and I dont know what to do. This is very tough.

Old 10-26-2012, 07:59 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Zerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by curlyseller View Post
. The swelling is still bad and we elevate every night. .
It needs to be elevated 23 hours a day. I slept with it on 2 pillows at night, and 2 pillows in my recliner, tilted back. Toes above the nose, which was hard, cause I don't have a couch.

Not being elevated probably didn't help the surgery recovery. Maybe should tell the doc this, so he knows, it may help him consider the next option, if you do better next time.

Also get a 2nd opinion. Unfortunately failed surgeries are not unheard of.

He has to wait this out, and move on with his life when the time comes.

Reply Reply