It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-06-2011, 04:53 PM   #1
(female)

Momof3as HB User
Possible stress fracture

About two months ago I started a new style of running and within the last three weeks I started having foot pain. It started mildly and I could still run. Then last week, it got to the point where walking was pretty much excruciating so I went to the doctor. He took an xray, said he didn't see anything, and put me on some steroids to help with a "stretched ligament or tendon". After the five day course of those, I had no relief. Today i still have excruciating pain when walking (but worse if that is possible), aching pain when sitting still(which i didnt have last week), and pain that i can find by poking around (there was a spot that ached a little when pressed last week, but today, when poked in the same spot i get a horrible, almost electical feeling pIn). Called the doctor today and he wants me to go for a bone scan. He thinks I have a stress fracture. If that ends up being true, has anyone experienced this? What is the usual course of treatment? Also, I just noticed tonight, that both my feet were cold (it is chilly here today) except where my pain is. In that spot there is a lot of heat. Is that normal with pain? I have three small children, so sitting still and being off of my foot is really not an option, as I am typically alone with no help.

Old 09-06-2011, 05:10 PM   #2
(male)

marlin33 HB Usermarlin33 HB User
Re: Possible stress fracture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momof3as View Post
About two months ago I started a new style of running and within the last three weeks I started having foot pain. It started mildly and I could still run. Then last week, it got to the point where walking was pretty much excruciating so I went to the doctor. He took an xray, said he didn't see anything, and put me on some steroids to help with a "stretched ligament or tendon". After the five day course of those, I had no relief. Today i still have excruciating pain when walking (but worse if that is possible), aching pain when sitting still(which i didnt have last week), and pain that i can find by poking around (there was a spot that ached a little when pressed last week, but today, when poked in the same spot i get a horrible, almost electical feeling pIn). Called the doctor today and he wants me to go for a bone scan. He thinks I have a stress fracture. If that ends up being true, has anyone experienced this? What is the usual course of treatment? Also, I just noticed tonight, that both my feet were cold (it is chilly here today) except where my pain is. In that spot there is a lot of heat. Is that normal with pain? I have three small children, so sitting still and being off of my foot is really not an option, as I am typically alone with no help.
Prolly a boot or cast for three weeks NWB or wb.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-06-2011, 05:42 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

Get the bone scan as soon as possible. The doctor may be able to give you a special boot to let you walk comfortably.

If the scan can't be scheduled within the next few days, the doctor may prescribe the boot anyway, just so you can get around.

Old 09-07-2011, 01:20 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Missyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB User

I had flat foot reconstruction surgery last August and returned to work in January. After about a month of working, I had really begun to limp and my foot hurt. I was diagnosed with a stress fracture of my tibia due to overuse. My surgeon put me in a boot (cam walker). I was able to work with the boot and the stress fracture healed well. My foot did not bother me to much in the boot and I could work without any problems.

Old 09-07-2011, 04:13 AM   #5
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

I'm a runner and had stress fracture of the 4th met a few years ago. They put me in a surgical shoe for 6-8 weeks. It really hurt to walk on it at first so I was on crutches a lot but that went away after a week or so.

Old 09-07-2011, 06:42 AM   #6
(female)

indaslot HB Userindaslot HB Userindaslot HB Userindaslot HB Userindaslot HB Userindaslot HB User

My son was given a boot to wear when walking outside, but could remove it at home. He didn't have a true stress fracture, but a precursor called a stress reaction. It took a good 6 wks or more to be pain free and can take up to 12 wks, but they almost always heal well.

Closed Thread