It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-09-2011, 12:46 PM   #1
(female)

Momof3as HB User
Question Confirmed stress fracture

I posted on her about a week ago about a possible stress fracture and getting a bone scan. Well, I had the scan, and yes indeed, I have not one, but two fractures! One is in my fourth metatarsal and one is in my heel.

I have a question though, for anyone who has ever been through this...
My doctor wanted to do nothing but rest it and dope me up with tylenol3!!! I am alone with three young children. That is NOT gonna happen! Has any one ever heard of the do nothing approach? I couldn't believe it. Won't they just get worse? I don't know if this is typical for this doctor or not, but I have a feeling it might have something to do with me not having insurance. I am pretty sure they can't do that though. Why do the bone scan in the first place if you still aren't gonna do anything?

Needless to say, I went out and got a boot on my own because I don't have three months to sit around and do nothing and to be all drugged up.I can't imagine it will do anything but help it heal. It certainly can't hurt it!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-09-2011, 05:04 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: Confirmed stress fracture

Well, it MIGHT be that the doctor wants to do nothing because the stress fractures are very small. Sometimes you can get a tiny fracture and never even know it!

Still, if you are having trouble getting around, some sort of mobility aid seems like a smart idea, and a walking boot is MUCH more practical than crutches. For just about anyone, spending several weeks on the couch waiting to recover is not the best solution, unless the injury is so severe you have no choice!

For the metatarsal fracture, the boot should be fine support. For the heel fracture, I'm not 100% sure. See what it feels like. Maybe additional cushioning in the boot would make it work better.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-09-2011, 05:56 PM   #3
(female)

Momof3as HB User

Janewhite1, I think the fractures are actually pretty good sized since his exact words were, "well...you have some...aaahhh....pretty decent stress fractures in there. It is no wonder you can barely walk. I'm guessing you are gonna want some pain meeds. I know I would." so, I don't know. I should have said, "wouldn't you also want some support for those broken bones?"

Well, I got a boot anyway, and the part of my foot that felt like it was gonna break in half when I walked before doesn't hurt now, but my heel kills!

Old 09-09-2011, 06:08 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

Yeah, I was afraid of that. The boot just isn't that kind to the arch or heel area. Maybe if you took a padded insole out of a sneaker, it would be more comfortable?

If that doesn't work, call him Monday and see what he said. Maybe he intended for you to be on crutches and just failed to make that clear?

Old 09-10-2011, 06:06 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Missyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB User

In August 2010 I had flat foot reconstruction surgery. In January I returned to work and developed a good sized stress fracture of my tibia. My doctor put me back into a boot. I was able to continue working and doing whatever else I choose to do. He did tell me that if the boot was unacceptable at work, I could use an ASO

Closed Thread