It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-09-2011, 02:57 PM   #1
(female)

jowen90 HB User
Healing Pain Normal or not? Please please help.

Hi there,
I fractured my calcaneus four weeks ago (non displaced, single fracture, no cast etc.) A week later had another appointment and was told to do three more weeks on crutches and then to weight bear as tolerated. This seemed odd to me because I didn't think bones healed in 4 weeks but I wasn't going to argue. Have been weight bearing since Tuesday. There is NO swelling whatsoever, and I can fully take my weight and walk without a limp. However, there is a strange pain in the lateral side of my heel, kind of burn-y and *****ly. There is weird discomfort in the centre of the heel on the underside, as if there is a pebble stuck between my bone and skin, and my achilles is still very stiff. I couldn't, for example, run with it being the way it is.

Does this sound normal or do you think I'm not healed? I have another appointment due on Tuesday but I'm worried if I keep walking on it like I've been told to that I'll refracture it...

Any advice?

Old 09-09-2011, 07:49 PM   #2
(female)

adbow HB Useradbow HB Useradbow HB Useradbow HB Useradbow HB Useradbow HB Useradbow HB User
Re: Healing Pain Normal or not? Please please help.

I would ask my doctor if I were you. Or at least wait until your tuesday appointment. You could just stay off of it until then...a few more days letting it heal should not hurt. But, I am not a doctor and we all heal differently.
I had a lot of surgery done on my foot and I was completely non- weight bearing for 8 weeks...and then it was gradual weight bearing in a walking boot. i had lots of pain...even with walking. Right now, I'm 19 weeks post op. I walk without crutches...but i definitely limp. It hurts still - but mostly after a long day or if I've been sitting and then go to stand up.

Take care...and remember this takes a long time to heal.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-09-2011, 08:14 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

Well, when you've been on crutches for a while, your foot is going to be stiff, and it's going to feel very weird when you start putting weight on it. Still, if it seems wrong to you, stay off it a little longer.

I strongly recommend stretching the achilles, though, and massaging your calf and gently rubbing the bottom of your foot. I suspect tightness in the calf and tendons could be causing the pain.

Old 09-13-2011, 01:44 AM   #4
(female)

jowen90 HB User

ARGH. Went back to Fracture clinic today, they didn't even xray me (this is 5 weeks post fracture.) Guy literally looked at me, said 'Oh brilliant, you're walking' then let me go. When I said about my achilles being sore he said 'if you think about it too much you'll make it worse.' Um. Okay. Then they discharged me.

Eh? I'm worried It still really does hurt quite a lot.

Old 10-06-2011, 02:53 PM   #5
(male)

harley0711 HB User

If your still following this post AND if your cash or insurance will allow... You need a second opinion....

Old 10-07-2011, 06:04 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

Zerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB User

He is in the UK. I have seen a few people here that just don't seem to get the attention over there.

Another probelm I have seen from the UK is lack of physical therapy, which is one of the most important things out there. I would read some of the old stuff here and read up. I can post a few things later. But time blurs your memory on it.

A hard thing to judge about this injury is it varies alot on severity. I shattered my calc and talus, wrecking my subtalar joint, which is not uncommon. Some people just fractured the calc. So it varies.

If you are walking on it and it doesn't hurt, that is good. Be thankful. If not swelling be good too. If you have problems ice and elevation help. I still put my foot up when I can. I was icing it 2-4 times a day for the first 3-9 months.

One theory about putting weight on a broken bone is that it will help it become denser. I don't know if it is true, but have heard that.

Also when they you use it as tolerable, your body will tell you when to stop. I know for physiacl therapy and in general my doc would always word it as tolerable.

Closed Thread