It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-09-2011, 04:25 PM   #1
(female)

Wendy2shoes HB User
Calcaneus fracture/waiting for surgery

I fractured my left calcaneus 10 days ago. I was checked 3 days ago, and the swelling was still too bad to do surgery. Hopefully I'll be able to have it soon. There's at least six pieces of bone rattling around down there. My problem is with relatives and friends not believing how much pain I am in, and also encouraging me to get up and move around. They think that hopping up stairs on one foot shouldn't be a problem.
I am absolutely terrified that I am going to slip on my crutches and hurt myself even more. I only have a splint, not a hard cast. I'm keeping my foot elevated and iced, and as far as I have read, that's what I should be doing.
Am I right in taking it easy right now, or am I being a "wuss". I'm 59, and was fairly active.

The following user gives a hug of support to Wendy2shoes:
lightstepper (09-10-2011)
Old 09-09-2011, 05:16 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: Calcaneus fracture/waiting for surgery

If you are waiting for surgery, your foot needs to be elevated 24/7. Do not move around more than you have to. That's the only way the swelling is going to come down well enough for surgery.

Politely tell your friends and family that if you had a sprain or something, you'd be hopping around to your heart's content, but with this injury, you really do need to keep still until you've had the surgery AND begun to recover. Your ER discharge paperwork probably says exactly that, if they don't believe you.

I remember after I had a much lesser injury (minor knee fracture) the worst day was when I had company. We wound up going out to dinner, and I was NOT up to being off the couch for that long. Then, my friend kept jostling my leg, even after I pointed out that it really hurt. They wanted to be helpful, but they didn't really understand the severity of the injury, and as a result just made things harder.

The Following User Says Thank You to janewhite1 For This Useful Post:
Wendy2shoes (09-10-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-09-2011, 06:53 PM   #3
(female)

patience101 HB User

I would be very careful! I shattered mine into 14 pieces 6/4/11. I had surgery 2 weeks later but had a semi-hard cast before surgery. I too did not want to damage anything any worse than it was. I was extra careful and kept my foot elevated as much as possible. My family was VERY supportive and understanding. Maybe they should read some of these posts and talk to your doc. This is very sericous and you need to treat it as such. Good Luck. Patience and Strength!!!

The Following User Says Thank You to patience101 For This Useful Post:
Wendy2shoes (09-10-2011)
Old 09-10-2011, 06:43 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Missyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB User

The only way the swelling is going to go down is by elevating and icing. The more you do, the more it will swell and the intensity of pain will also go up. Good luck.

The Following User Says Thank You to Missyluke For This Useful Post:
Wendy2shoes (09-10-2011)
Old 09-10-2011, 11:51 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

Zerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB User

Foot needs to be elvated, really elevated. Toes above the nose, and on it as little as possible. At your point, you should be off it about 23 hours a day.

They wanted to do surgery on me, but I was to swollen. At one point, he briefly metnioned, that sometimes amputatio will get you on with your life. Then I go serious about elevating, and next time he was full of positive words.

I put it on two pillows on my recliner tilted back and slept with it on two pillows.

My foot ruptured due to the swelling early on and the bottom was black. Around 8-10 weeks the black skin peeled off to shoe pink brand new skin underneath.

Luckily, ha, I was on a coma for 2 weeks, trach, and lots of other injuries, that no one thought I should be getting up.

The Following User Says Thank You to Zerk For This Useful Post:
Wendy2shoes (09-10-2011)
Old 09-17-2011, 11:48 AM   #6
(female)

Wendy2shoes HB User

I had my surgery 3 days ago. Home now, and not in too much pain. It's switched from my heel (felt like some one was drilling into it) to the outside of my foot where the incision is. Now it feels like a weasel with sharp teeth is gnawing on my foot! Painkillers are a godsend, and a wonderful hubby who imported a knee roller from the States for me. They're not approved yet for sale in Canada yet. I can't wait to go zooming into the fracture clinic next week when I get my permanent cast. Good luck to everyone else who has had this injury. I'll keep you posted on my progress. .....Wendy

Last edited by Wendy2shoes; 09-17-2011 at 11:49 AM. Reason: Spelling error

Old 09-18-2011, 04:46 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

I am so glad to hear that you were able to get the surgery and that it went well!

About the knee roller: Rolleraid and Turning Leg Caddy are good brands. Invacare has this alarming tendency to drop patients on the floor.

Old 09-18-2011, 05:30 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Missyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB User

Good luck with your recovery and keep us posted. Remember, continue to keep your foot elevated.

Old 09-19-2011, 01:15 AM   #9
(female)

allydownthehole HB User

I fell 15 feel down and unmarked manhole on september 1st 11' and I just had surgery yesterday september 17th.

I am still in the hospital and still in a bit of shock about how much this is going to change the next year of my life. I am dedicated to treating my body with patience and care and want to heel my heal the best i can !! I hope that this site will give us a support network to share the questions of us newbies and hopefully that those who have experienced it can ease our worries or at least shed light on the mysteries !!

im on 6 grams of delauded every 4 hours and antibiotics.... they havent changed my first cast yet, so i have not seen the incision 'flap'.... tomorrow will be the day when they change it and clean and i get to see my newly hardware installed footie.... for now its swollen and sad....

The following user gives a hug of support to allydownthehole:
Wendy2shoes (09-19-2011)
Old 09-19-2011, 06:08 AM   #10
(female)

Wendy2shoes HB User

How could the town leave a manhole cover off? Wow! You could have been killed!

Closed Thread