It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-09-2011, 07:44 PM   #1
(female)

patience101 HB User
Walking again... shattered heel

I shattered my heel into 14 pieces due to a car accident 6/4/2011. Plates and screws of couse. I am now weight bearing as of this Wednesday 9/7. Using crutches of course. I have a knee scooter but doc said try to get rid of it. Just wandering......the pain is like a BAD stone bruise when I step....that sound about right? I have REALLY enjoyed all of your info out there and would like a little description on how it felt for other heelies.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-10-2011, 01:54 AM   #2
(female)

lightstepper HB Userlightstepper HB Userlightstepper HB Userlightstepper HB Userlightstepper HB Userlightstepper HB User
Re: Walking again....shattered heel

I had flat foot reconstruction surgery which part of it entailed them cutting my heel off. My post-cast instructions were to "just walk" and get rid of the walker/crutches within a week. They said to go back on pain killers because it is going to hurt so much you will think something is wrong, but just do it. The more I forced myself to do it, the better it got after a while and the swelling went down. It hurt so much it brought tears to my eyes.

Good luck to you and I hope this time passes for you quickly.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-10-2011, 12:19 PM   #3
(female)

adbow HB Useradbow HB Useradbow HB Useradbow HB Useradbow HB Useradbow HB Useradbow HB User

Yes...lightstepper is right. Boy, I remember taking more pain meds when I started walking. That hurt so bad...but the more you do it - it does get better. Just remember to still elevate and ice.

Good luck!

Old 09-10-2011, 12:40 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Zerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB User

Your going to have to push through some pain if you want to progress. How much is to much, is hard to say. Pain levels vary alot by people. Some it based on how much pain they have had to deal with.

For me the pain came with use. But maybe what I call discomfort you call pain, or maybe yours is worse. Hard saying.

Old 09-10-2011, 01:54 PM   #5
(female)

patience101 HB User

Today is Saturday and I can already tell some difference. I'm sure the PT will help alot next week. I start on Wednesday. I'm like you Zerk, the pain comes with use. It's not a constant pain. Thank God! I guess it's just frustrating. Ready to get back to normal! Thanks for the info. Good luck to all of us!!
Patience and Strength!!

Old 09-11-2011, 10:08 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

Zerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB User

What it felt like for me, was I had been on my feet all day. Not so much pain as sore. The pain for me is not so much my heal, as it is my ankle. I also shattered my talus, wrecking my subtalar joint.

The pain started getting better around 10 months.

Old 09-15-2011, 07:13 PM   #7
(female)

patience101 HB User

Started PT on Wed. 9/14. Mainly range of motion stuff. I am able to walk with one crutch pretty much all day with my boot but I have taken several steps with my shoe on. It almost seems as though it feels better with just the shoe on. Sometimes I think that the walking boot makes the heel more sore. Anyone else experience that?

Old 09-16-2011, 06:35 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

I started PT around 6 weeks, for ROM. When I got my 2nd opinion, doc was impressed with my ROM for only being weight bearing for a weak.

Old 09-16-2011, 07:09 PM   #9
(male)

Logan1985 HB User

I broke both my heels 8 weeks ago and have been NWB since. At my last check up I was told my fractures were almost completly healed and I could start weight bearing. I just started PT this week. My rom is almost normal which my PT was very surpised about. I have been able to walk around with the assistance of one crutch just for stability. The only pain I have is right below my ankle, it just feels really sore. I can usually deal with the pain most of the day but by the night time it is to much and I usually go back to using my wheelchair and ice up my feet.

Old 09-16-2011, 07:55 PM   #10
(female)

patience101 HB User

Today the heel has been very sore. Therapist says the humidity is a factor. Yay! I live in GA and there is always humidity. I probably want to push things so I have tried the last two days to walk with only 1 crutch with a shoe on. That could be my problem. I just feel the need to be normal. I am going to try to be patient and realize this is a process. Very blessed to just be here and be able to enjoy my life. Found out today a good friend has breast cancer. There's always something we are going to have to go through in this life. Have a good weekend!

Old 09-17-2011, 11:04 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by patience101 View Post
I just feel the need to be normal.)
This is a life changing event.

You need to strive to do all you can, but at some point you may have to find balance between hope and life.

Old 09-17-2011, 05:30 PM   #12
(female)

TessaAnne HB UserTessaAnne HB UserTessaAnne HB UserTessaAnne HB UserTessaAnne HB UserTessaAnne HB User
Re: Walking again... shattered heel

Wow-I really feel for you-I just got on here to rant about my heel/bone spur . Bad stone bruise is exactly how it feels-Good Luck, fellow heelie.

Old 09-18-2011, 05:35 PM   #13
(female)

patience101 HB User
Re: Walking again... shattered heel

Yeah Zerk you are right....life changing event. I am accepting that...slowly but I am also liking the fact that each day I can get around a little better and that makes me feel like life is getting back to normal even if normal is different.
Yesterday I was actually able to walk across the living room with shoes only with no crutch!!! Very exciting!!!

Whether it's a heel/bone spur or a shattered heel or whatever...we are in this for the long haul. Glad others feel what I feel. It helps to talk/type it out.

Closed Thread