It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-10-2011, 05:21 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Missyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB User
MRI to rule of tear in peroneal tendon

Here is my story. In August 2010 I had flat foot reconstruction surgery (ptt repair, fdl tendon transfer, calcaneal osteotomy, achielles tendon lengthening, kidner procedure and bones shaved down due to a fractured bone found at time of surgery). I had finally come to a place where I could do what I wanted without discomfort and was so happy to finally have a normal foot. On 8/8, while doing a patient transport with breathing equipment, the RN put the patient transport monitor in the doorway on the floor. When I came in with the equipment I tripped and went flying. The first appt. with the w.c. ortho doc he said bilateral ankle sprains and tendonitis. I have been in a considerable amt. of pain and when I tried to get an earlier appt for followup (they scheduled it for 9/21) the office refused. The PA called and pretty much said I must not be following the docs orders. My manager got involved and I got an appt for 9/8. This appointment has me really scared. He said if it was a sprain & tendonitis it should have been much improved. He is really concerned about my foot that I had surgery on. He wants to rule out a tear in the peroneal tendon and is worried about the ATL and ATFL. He is also checking the achielles tendon in both ankles. If this is not bad enough, originally he said my the xrays, the arch on my "good foot" is falling but from behind looked ok. This appointment, from behind my heal has the classic crooked look and my foot is rolled in. He said I am probably looking at the same surgery on this foot. I don't know if I can go through this again so soon - and really don't know if I am up to the possibility of two surgeries. He ordered MRI's on both feet and I should know next week the results. It is so depressing to know how much I have already gone through to have to go through more with my feet. I am not sure that my employer will be able to hold my position if there is more surgery.

Last edited by Missyluke; 09-10-2011 at 06:51 AM.

The following 3 users give hugs of support to: Missyluke
adbow (09-10-2011), lightstepper (09-10-2011), maggietaz (09-10-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-10-2011, 11:16 AM   #2
(female)

adbow HB Useradbow HB Useradbow HB Useradbow HB Useradbow HB Useradbow HB Useradbow HB User
Re: MRI to rule of tear in peroneal tendon

Oh Missyluke! I'm so sorry. I can not imagine re-injuring the surgical foot...let alone look at surgery for the other. We'll pray that that is not going to have to happen.

But, if it does...you do know that you come out the other side of all of this and you know what and how to prepare. I would think because it's a work injury they would have to hold a spot for you at work.

I know...not much help....I pray that it all goes well and that you just need to rest for a bit to help it heal.

Take care,

Angela

Old 09-10-2011, 11:41 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Missyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB User

The thing is, I am still working. The doctor told me to wear ASO's on both ankles and it was back to work. I'm sure the ASO's help, but my job requirements take me all over the hospital and I have to be able to move. I have continued to work but at times it is really painful.

Old 09-10-2011, 07:27 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

roxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB User

If you need surgery as a result of an injury at work, doesn't the employer have to hold your position?

Old 09-11-2011, 05:27 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

The way it has been explained to me is that I will have to use FMLA for the first 12 weeks then medical leave. According to the hospital policy, they do not have to hold my position. I think this is terrible since this accident was due to an employee's negligence. If a patient's family had tripped over it there would be a lawsuit. I think I can hold off for a while for my right foot (there is no getting around it - I will need flat foot reconstruction) but my left foot (the one I had surgery on) is hurting pretty bad. I have aching that goes up my leg and although as a rule I do not swell much, it is swelling. Once I am on my feet for a half hour, the pain really kicks in. This foot I really hope there is an alternative to surgery.

Old 09-11-2011, 07:51 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

maggietaz HB Usermaggietaz HB Usermaggietaz HB Usermaggietaz HB Usermaggietaz HB Usermaggietaz HB Usermaggietaz HB User

MissyLuke,
I know nothing about the law, but that does not sound right to me. Have you checked with the websites for your state to see what it says- maybe a workman's comp lawyer might be helpful.I am just asking as I want to make sure that you get what is yours. You have been through so much. And, you are right, if a patient's family had tripped over that equipment they probably would be suing them.
I know workman's comp. is tough to deal with. I am a district manager for a company-injured my shoulder back in April and am still dealing with it, and last week- they decided no more PT- didn't tell me- jsut told the PT place- shoulder isn't better- I have left messages for the nurse case manager and she hasn't called me back. It can get very frustrating. Just make sure that you keep records of everything.

Good luck and stay strong.

Old 09-11-2011, 01:37 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

roxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB User

Have you spoken with a lawyer to see if you can sue for negligance just in case they stick it to you

Old 09-11-2011, 04:23 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

No I have not spoken to a lawyer. I think I may have to - received mail yesterday from w.c. stating that if there is anything wrong with the ptt, they will not cover it - stated that it is a preexisting condition.

Old 09-11-2011, 06:35 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Oh no! I hope you get some good news for once. Is the pain similar to before the surgery?

Old 09-12-2011, 01:12 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

On the foot that I had surgery, I do have pain right along the ptt. When the doctor ordered the MRI, he is looking at the ptt as well as ruling out a tear in the peroneal tendon, achielles tendon and also the joint. On the other foot, he is looking at the ptt and achielles tendon. Since the beginning of August, this foot has rolled in.

Closed Thread