It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-10-2011, 09:03 AM   #1
(male)

Alotofmath HB User
Heel fracture walking boot and walking in shoes

Hi
I'm approaching the 12 week point (next week) and have been full weight bearing in a boot for a few weeks. At this point in the boot I can go for a long while walking with minimal pain....

It seems the pain lessens everyday. I spun around at the store today and my girlfriend said don't do that ( she's had the joy of being with me since week 1 lucky girl).

I'll probably be getting into a shoe next week...how different is the shoe from the boot? Will I wear the boot and work my way into shoes? I know my current shoes won't cut it...

I feel nearly back to normal...can't walk far distances, but can do activities of daily living...

Thanks for any information.

Michael

Old 09-10-2011, 11:10 AM   #2
(female)

adbow HB Useradbow HB Useradbow HB Useradbow HB Useradbow HB Useradbow HB Useradbow HB User
Re: Heel fracture walking boot and walking in shoes

Hi Michael!

hahhah....a lot of my friends respond like your girlfriend! But you know, it is so exciting to get to do some "normal" things again.

I'm 19 weeks out! In fact...I'm debating on trying to mow my own lawn today! (of course my neighbor has said that she will be walking right with me to make sure I'm okay...LOL!)

So, it got to the point when I was in the boot...that it bothered me to walk with it...because it hurt my other hip - I even had tennis shoes with extra height but that didn't seem to be enough. So, I liked going to tennis shoes (I still can't get my foot into any other shoes..) I'm not sure if I'm remembering correctly...but it seems to me that I like my shoes better than the boot. It did feel different...more vulnerable...but I had gotten over the hump of so much pain by then. I also wear (still do most days) compression sleeves. Those helped so much for me.

so...that probably wasn't much help! But congrads on healing!

Angela

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-10-2011, 11:45 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Zerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB User

You will probably want to get as wide as shoe as possible. New Balance makes 4E, but they are not a cheap shoe. Some say not to spend to much on the first shoe, which is true, but you still have to wear it.

If you do buy a good shoe, maybe get one that will be deep enough for an orthotic someday. Not all of them are.

I am a big advocate of comfortable socks, and think they make a big difference. I wear wool hiking socks year round.

I never walked with the boot. At week 12 he said to just get rid of it, said I woud be off balance. I broke the leg on the other side, so I had no good leg to put weight on, and had to wait the full 12 weeks.

Old 09-10-2011, 01:04 PM   #4
(male)

Alotofmath HB User

Hi
Where did you get the compression sleeves? At a pharmacy or special store?

Old 09-10-2011, 03:39 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Missyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB User

Congratulations on your progress. It felt great but scary when I went from boot to shoe. I also agree with Zerk on getting bigger shoes. I also went with New Balance as they are wider. If I do not wear a brace, I am now back into my current shoe size. Good luck.

Old 09-10-2011, 04:09 PM   #6
(female)

lightstepper HB Userlightstepper HB Userlightstepper HB Userlightstepper HB Userlightstepper HB Userlightstepper HB User

I got my compression sleeves from my physical therapist. She also used Kineseo tape to get the swelling down. Worked GREAT!

Old 09-11-2011, 08:58 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

Zerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB User

I am sorta back in my same shoe size. I sometimes wear a wide boot,. The odd thing is I am wearing 1/2 to 1 size bigger, cause my good foot is longer. This is especially an issue with steel toes. I figuring I must favor it more.

As for widths, your orthotic does come into play. Some boots I can wear Ds and need Ws to fit. When I get a new pair of boots I work the ankle area with my hands quite a bit, and rub boot dressing in them to break them in quicker.

I would start out with tennis shoes to work your mobility, plus you may be to weak for taller boots. But eventually I find 8" boots give me good support, and thats all I wear, other then around the house. I like the sport tatical styles such as Danner, Magnum, or Bates that are marketed for cops.

The Following User Says Thank You to Zerk For This Useful Post:
Alotofmath (09-11-2011)
Old 09-12-2011, 08:56 AM   #8
(male)

Alotofmath HB User

Hi
I tried some of my shoes on last night...they simply don't fit...the wide sneaker may be my shoe of choice this year...

Thanks for the advice; 12 weeks ago I thought this would last forever...Not out of the woods yet but I am hopeful...now to fix the rest of my life.

Michael

Old 09-13-2011, 03:51 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

Swelling will come down, try them on in a few months. Some people say they wear there old stuff. I can wear some, but I found I wanted new stuff that is more comfortable. Stuff loses its cushion over time.

I did wear an old pair of tennis shoes loose around the house for a long time, and still have them. But they were old and worn out, so they stretched good.

I can wear my big winter type boots. But nothing that pulls on. Also it seems no or little heal is best.

Closed Thread