It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-11-2011, 05:29 PM   #1
(female)

Twix HB UserTwix HB UserTwix HB User
Question Transition from brace to just tennis shoe..

Hello! Well you may or may not know that I had flat foot reconstruction 14.5 weeks ago. After this week I will be transitioning from my Aircast brace to just tennis shoes.. I would like to know what to expect
I know it will probably be a painful adjustment at first but about how long does it take to get used to? Any advice at all you can give me will help! This also means I pick out new shoes next week! My doc recommended New Balance.
I'm a little nervous about picking out shoes because I won't know if any pain i experience is from the actual shoe or just from my foot walking without the brace. I guess that's just something I'll have to try my best to judge?

Also.. My right foot has had the surgery and is now arched, but my left foot is still super flat. I'm supposed to have good support for the right one but my left foot cannot handle that. Is it normal in this case to have two different types of inserts, or is that a bad idea?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-11-2011, 07:43 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

roxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB User
Re: Transition from brace to just tennis shoe..

You really need a custom orthotic. You may be wise to go to a shoe store staffed by a pedorthist to be sure you get the right shoe for your foot. Some new balance models are good while others aren't. Brooks, asics and saucony also have some good models but it is important to find the right shoe for your foot and not just look at a company.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-12-2011, 02:19 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Missyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB User

My doctor also suggested New Balance when I transitioned from boot to shoe. I had custom orthotics made prior to surgery and after surgery they were adjusted. The NB are wider then most other brands and I needed the extra width for my foot. Has your doctor mentioned getting custom orthotics?

Old 09-12-2011, 08:46 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

velvetrain HB Uservelvetrain HB Uservelvetrain HB Uservelvetrain HB Uservelvetrain HB Uservelvetrain HB Uservelvetrain HB Uservelvetrain HB Uservelvetrain HB Uservelvetrain HB User

I've had better success with Merell shoes. NB have always hurt my feet. I have custom orthotics but check for some referrals on whom you choose. Turns out mine were not made correctly which got me in the bad habit of weightbearing incorrectly with my foot. Major waste of 300 hundred bucks. It all worked out as one of the orthotistd we provide business too with our paitients knew about my struggle since surgerey and re casted me for an appropriate custom orthotic free of charge. I feel blessed as this surgerey has caused major financial strains.

Old 09-14-2011, 12:47 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

wilkinak HB Userwilkinak HB Userwilkinak HB Userwilkinak HB Userwilkinak HB User

Ditto on this!

I've got one OTC $4 arch support in one shoe and a lace up brace on the other foot. Whatever works. The $400 custom orthotics are thrown in a drawer never to return. Check if your OS has someone they trust to do customs if you go that route.

Last edited by mod85; 10-10-2011 at 10:07 PM.

Old 09-14-2011, 01:53 PM   #6
(female)

Thanks for the advice everyone! My OS didn't mention a thing about a custom orthotic.. I don't see him for another few weeks so I suppose I should call and see what he thinks.

Old 09-22-2011, 08:02 PM   #7
(male)

amainc HB Useramainc HB User

Twix I also had flat foot reconstruction on my right foot and also have an extremely flat left foot as well. I've continued to wear my custom orthotics in my left shoe since my surgery. I was in a cast for seven weeks then went to a walking cast for four weeks and finally got into an air cast about three weeks ago. Next week I am also going into a tennis shoe with a brace from what I was told. I've been walking around the house without the air cast or shoes for the last couple of weeks without any pain. These are short distances just going from room to room and the only problem I've had is my achilles, which was lengthened during surgery, is extremely tight. I've been able to stretch it out easily without pain but it tightens back up and I can't keep it loose. I'm curious to know how your transition went and what type of brace they put you in? Also what kind of tennis shoe did you end up with?

Old 10-10-2011, 09:18 PM   #8
(female)

I'm sorry I haven't replied sooner, I've just been so busy!
I'm glad to hear you aren't in much pain. I was in an aircast brace that I wore inside my tennis shoe. It took me about a week, maybe a week and a half to fully get rid of the brace. In the beginning, it was very painful to walk without the brace but I still did it for little amounts of time during the day. Then it finally got to the point to where it felt more awkward to walk with the brace than without, and the brace wasn't really preventing any pain anymore. Now I walk with just tennis shoes; no brace or other aid. I also don't wear my old custom orthotics because they hurt too much (The reason I stopped wearing them in the first place). I found that the shoes that were most comfortable for me were the ASICS GEL-DS Trainer® 16. New Balance shoes tended to be rather painful for me, and Asics shoes seemed to be a thousand times more comfortable.
When I walk I'm still having pain in the top of my foot and also where they put my subtalar implant. I still walk with a slight limp, but it's gotten much better. I'm hoping it won't be too much longer until I'm walking correctly and relatively pain free, but I know that might not happen for awhile. Some days are worse pain wise than others, but in general, the pain has greatly decreased over the past few months.
Good luck!

Last edited by mod85; 10-10-2011 at 10:07 PM.

Closed Thread