It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-21-2011, 08:55 PM   #16
(female)

lillan HB User
Re: Surgery Scheduled BUT scared to death!!

never used a kneewalker - guess mostly because of my other bad foot - i have used wheelchairs and then with walking boots crutches in the beginming. i have done the same for all of my five surgeries and plan to that for my next one. my experience with the stryker was excellent - this was dec of 2009.

Old 09-22-2011, 01:24 AM   #17
Senior Veteran
(female)

Missyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB User

If the doctor does not give you the pump, you will be ok. I had a seventeen hour nerve block and was kept for two days at the hospital - it was only suppose to be one day but I ended up having a drain in so I needed to stay an extra day for that. If you take your pain meds when due to stay ahead of the pain and keep your foot elevated, it will not be to bad. This was my first surgery and was really freaked out. I watched all of the procedures being done on you tube, and as awful as it was it actually helped me to know what exactly was being done. Good luck.

The Following User Says Thank You to Missyluke For This Useful Post:
Upside (10-17-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-22-2011, 12:05 PM   #18
(male)

Cycle50 HB User

I can also say the pain management is key to this whole thing. I had a Severe Calcaneus Fracture which was border line of being operatable. Mine ended up being a four day stay including surgery day. Dr. used a nerve block and Dilaudid for post-surgery pain management. Along with the IV Dilaudid I also had a pump I could supplement with. Once I got to day 3 I found I wasnít using the pump or IV Dilaudid and managed on the occasional oral tablet after this. So the surgery while not fun was manageable. I am now post-surgery 24 days and 55 days to walking again. Elevation is a good thing and cold packs help also for the post-surgery 3-4 weeks.
Good luck and I was trying to avoid surgery as much as possible too.

The Following User Says Thank You to Cycle50 For This Useful Post:
Upside (10-17-2011)
Closed Thread