It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-12-2011, 06:31 PM   #1
(female)

Upside HB UserUpside HB UserUpside HB User
Surgery Scheduled BUT scared to death!!

I have decided to get the FDL Transfer and Calcaneal Osteotomy...but I am so flippin scared I can't stand it. My doc said it would be the worst pain I have ever felt...that is making me want to chicken out. I am in so much pain now during the night, I want my foot amputated! I can't imagine it could get worse. Please give words of wisdom from your experience.

Old 09-12-2011, 07:35 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

velvetrain HB Uservelvetrain HB Uservelvetrain HB Uservelvetrain HB Uservelvetrain HB Uservelvetrain HB Uservelvetrain HB Uservelvetrain HB Uservelvetrain HB Uservelvetrain HB User
Re: Surgery Scheduled BUT scared to death!!

The pain I had after surgerey was nothing compared to what I had before. My foot burned all the time before surgerey because the tendon was pretty much shredded in there. I had so many tears that the surgeon told me he was pretty much sticking the forceps straight through open areas all through the tendon. After surgerey the worse pain I had was nerve pain that settled about two weeks after the procedure. My foot felt pain when I would attempt to lower it when I got ready to stand to get up to go to the bathroom. It would hurt from the blood rushing down to the foot.

Last edited by velvetrain; 09-12-2011 at 07:37 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-13-2011, 01:16 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Missyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB User

I really agree with Velvetrain. The pain I had post surgery was nothing in comparison to the pain I had prior to surgery. Pre-surgery the pain was relentless, there was never a moment of being pain free. It was even hard to sleep. Just be sure to follow your surgeon's instructions. It is especially important to keep your foot elevated - really elevated - foot above the heart. Also take the pain pills even if it doesn't hurt to bad. It is important to stay ahead of the pain. There is a thread of what to have ready while non-weight bearing. It has wonderful and important information of what to have ready before surgery. When is your surgery scheduled for? Are you staying overnight?

Old 09-13-2011, 01:30 AM   #4
(female)

lightstepper HB Userlightstepper HB Userlightstepper HB Userlightstepper HB Userlightstepper HB Userlightstepper HB User

I agree, too!! Once you are in the surgeon's hands you receive stuff for pain control. Even if you do experience pain after, it isn't the same pain. Injured pain turns into healing pain and you know that won't last forever like the injured pain!

Along with pain killers, I got a nerve block the day of the surgery which numbs your foot for a good 24 to 48 hours after. The two weeks after my surgery were the most pain free weeks of my life. Loved it and would do it again if necessary. I am not afraid of surgery any longer.

Deep breath! It's going to be ok. Keep us posted!! Best of luck and will be thinking of you sending you good vibes.

Old 09-13-2011, 02:43 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

velvetrain HB Uservelvetrain HB Uservelvetrain HB Uservelvetrain HB Uservelvetrain HB Uservelvetrain HB Uservelvetrain HB Uservelvetrain HB Uservelvetrain HB Uservelvetrain HB User

I think the biggest fear for me was the unknown of what was really going to happen on the operating table. I have a very strong stomach and ended up looking at the entire procedure being done by a podiatrist on a paitient. That calmed me a bit despite it looking gory. You'll be fine. Walking finally opened up another whole other can of worms for me in terms of pain. Being non weightbearing was them best time pain wise because I was totally off that foot!

Last edited by velvetrain; 09-13-2011 at 02:45 AM.

Old 09-13-2011, 05:11 PM   #6
(female)

Thanks for the words of wisdom. It is always good to read positive feedback. The Doc did say he was giving me a 12 hour nerve block and that once it wore off that the pain meds would just take the edge off and that I would be in excruciating pain...yikes! Surgery is scheduled for Oct 24, outpatient.

Old 09-13-2011, 07:10 PM   #7
(female)

lillan HB User

Do not worry - had osteotomy on both feet and STAR and other surgeries - nerveblock and pain killers will take care of you and your pain. just remember to overlap the pain meds so they do not wear off. and ELEVATE ELEVATE ELEVATE. good luck!

Old 09-13-2011, 07:13 PM   #8
(female)

lillan HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upside View Post
Thanks for the words of wisdom. It is always good to read positive feedback. The Doc did say he was giving me a 12 hour nerve block and that once it wore off that the pain meds would just take the edge off and that I would be in excruciating pain...yikes! Surgery is scheduled for Oct 24, outpatient.

Old 09-13-2011, 07:18 PM   #9
(female)

swimbunnie HB Userswimbunnie HB Userswimbunnie HB Userswimbunnie HB Userswimbunnie HB Userswimbunnie HB Userswimbunnie HB User

Ditto the other responses. I had very bad nerve pain once the block wore off, was hospitalized an extra day because of it. Pain meds were adjusted and things eased up. Good luck.

Old 09-13-2011, 07:22 PM   #10
(female)

lillan HB User

i always thought that docs were supposed to be against having pain and for controlling it - after my STAR i went home with a nerve block attachment which worked wonders. wish you good luck!

Old 09-13-2011, 07:26 PM   #11
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lillan View Post
i always thought that docs were supposed to be against having pain and for controlling it - after my STAR i went home with a nerve block attachment which worked wonders. wish you good luck!
I am very concerned with the word Excruiciating...has anyone heard of the OnQ Painbuster?

Old 09-13-2011, 08:25 PM   #12
(female)

lillan HB User

Quote:
I am very concerned with the word Excruiciating...has anyone heard of the OnQ Painbuster?

Old 09-13-2011, 08:35 PM   #13
(female)

lillan HB User

Quote:
sounds like the attachment that i had - but mine was just a continuous nerveblocker - i had the feeling they just left the nerveblock wires in and had a pump that administers the fluid i was in control of how uch and when which also meant if i spent toomuch i would run out faster- my husband pulled the wire out after four or five days - the gadget was like a small handbag with a wire sticking out of it and it was inserted in the back of my leg. being the patient, i was not really aware of how it worked - just know i had no or very little pain. this was for my ankle replacement - for the other osteotomies and tendons i had 12-16 hour nerveblock.

Old 09-16-2011, 01:44 PM   #14
(female)

lillan HB User

Back home now: I found the device they gave me in the hospital : 'Stryker PainPump2 BlockRid'. I had it while in the hospital and then it was refilled before i left and lasted for another two days. This was used when I had the Scandinavian Total Ankle Replacement..

The Following User Says Thank You to lillan For This Useful Post:
Upside (09-21-2011)
Old 09-21-2011, 07:05 PM   #15
(female)

I think the Stryker Pain Pump got recalled...I am going to email the Dr. and ask about it. I am practicing with the crutches which are difficult to use. Did you use a knee walker.... and why are the soooo flippin expensive?

Last edited by Upside; 09-21-2011 at 07:06 PM.

The following user gives a hug of support to Upside:
lillan (09-21-2011)
Closed Thread