It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-13-2011, 04:44 PM   #1
(female)

Nicole K HB UserNicole K HB UserNicole K HB UserNicole K HB User
Post Lapidus Bunionectomy 6 wks...had a question

When were each of you who have had this procedure (Lapidus Bunionectomy), full weight bearing?

My Dr. wants me walking full weight bearing to my appt with him at 7 1/2 wks post-op. I'm nervous and afraid it will hurt. I've only put weight on my heels so far with a walker.

Old 09-15-2011, 11:20 AM   #2
(female)

Re: Post Lapidus Bunionectomy 6 wks...had a question

Strange.....I've had a 142 views and counting and not one reply. (?!?!). Weird or what. Not one reply just views....nosey people I guess. Not even a: "Sorry, I can't help but hope you find the info. you're looking for..." or something of that nature.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-22-2011, 03:48 PM   #3
(female)

hannahbee HB User

Hey Nicole
i just made an account on here so I could answer your question! I'm 18, live in UK and had Lapidus Bunionectomy on my right foot on the 11th August 2011. My bunions are hereditary and so I have waited to have the surgery after my feet stopped growing!

I was in a plaster cast for 1 week, then a fibreglass cast for 3 weeks. After 4 weeks, I had a metal pin which was supporting the surgery removed (the pin was poking out of my skin) and was given an air cast boot and my Doctor told me that I could fully weight bear. I must say, I laughed at this. At first, I used a crutch to support me and I was very downhearted. My leg was so weak, my ankle hurt every time I put a teeny bit of weight on it, I just felt like crying.

However, I kept resting and elevating my foot and kept using my crutch to support me and then around 3/4 days after I was given my boot, I was able to walk in the air boot without the use of the crutch. I was a little shaky at first, and my ankle used to twinge, but now I can walk perfectly in this boot, and whats more my incision site has not hurt at all. Today I am at 6 weeks post op and I have been able to walk without the boot (I have the boot for 2 more weeks) although I'm only doing this to try to strengthen my foot a bit.

I would say to use a crutch to begin with as your 'safety net', and you'll soon get stronger. I realised that what was holding me back was fear, and once I got over that my healing process quickened.

I hope I helped in some way!
Hannah

Old 09-22-2011, 04:02 PM   #4
(male)

j9879 HB Userj9879 HB Userj9879 HB Userj9879 HB Userj9879 HB Userj9879 HB Userj9879 HB User

Nicole,

Weight bearing after a lapidus procedure is all depended on the fixation used during the surgery and how fast you are healing. There are fixation plates that are used and some physicians are allowing weight bearing within a few weeks after surgery. Typically it is around 8-10 weeks when full weight bearing begins. You have to allow yourself to progress forward. If you are too tentative with weight bearing, you will find it more difficult to make the next steps - walking without the boot, walking barefoot, jogging, etc.

Old 09-22-2011, 05:39 PM   #5
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hannahbee View Post
Hey Nicole
i just made an account on here so I could answer your question! I'm 18, live in UK and had Lapidus Bunionectomy on my right foot on the 11th August 2011. My bunions are hereditary and so I have waited to have the surgery after my feet stopped growing!

I was in a plaster cast for 1 week, then a fibreglass cast for 3 weeks. After 4 weeks, I had a metal pin which was supporting the surgery removed (the pin was poking out of my skin) and was given an air cast boot and my Doctor told me that I could fully weight bear. I must say, I laughed at this. At first, I used a crutch to support me and I was very downhearted. My leg was so weak, my ankle hurt every time I put a teeny bit of weight on it, I just felt like crying.

However, I kept resting and elevating my foot and kept using my crutch to support me and then around 3/4 days after I was given my boot, I was able to walk in the air boot without the use of the crutch. I was a little shaky at first, and my ankle used to twinge, but now I can walk perfectly in this boot, and whats more my incision site has not hurt at all. Today I am at 6 weeks post op and I have been able to walk without the boot (I have the boot for 2 more weeks) although I'm only doing this to try to strengthen my foot a bit.

I would say to use a crutch to begin with as your 'safety net', and you'll soon get stronger. I realised that what was holding me back was fear, and once I got over that my healing process quickened.

I hope I helped in some way!
Hannah
Aww, thank you Hannah...you have helped. Words of encouragement always help.

Well, things have been progressing well, but slower for me as I had both feet done at the same time! Bunions also run in my family...on my mom's (mum's....UK lingo haha) side.

It seems all surgeons do the lapidus a bit differently from each other. I only ever had thick guazue bandages and the hard soled velcro bunion shoe. I was able to bear weight on the heels during the healing process. My fixation screws stay in permanently in both feet. They are deep inside the bones as my surgeon showed me my last set of x-rays. I don't feel them at all and my incision area is feeling fine as well.

Thanks again! Good luck to you as well with your healing Hannah.

Old 09-22-2011, 05:45 PM   #6
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by j9879 View Post
Nicole,

Weight bearing after a lapidus procedure is all depended on the fixation used during the surgery and how fast you are healing. There are fixation plates that are used and some physicians are allowing weight bearing within a few weeks after surgery. Typically it is around 8-10 weeks when full weight bearing begins. You have to allow yourself to progress forward. If you are too tentative with weight bearing, you will find it more difficult to make the next steps - walking without the boot, walking barefoot, jogging, etc.
Thanks j9879!
Again, I find your advice very helpful and you are very knowlegdable with respect to all of our foot issues here on this board.

I am finding the more I use my feet, legs, ankles, the better they feel, a bit achey yes, but if you don't use it, you lose it!

Old 10-03-2011, 11:13 PM   #7
(female)

Mobilizeus HB User

Hey All! My first post! Whoo!

So...I am 7.5 weeks post lapidus bunionectomy and shortening of the second and third toes. I'm freaking out a bit because my pod took my cast off today...which I loved because it felt secure and put me in a cam boot, which I don't love. I don't like cam boot because it hurts the area where the bone is healing.

I still can't bare any weight for at least another two weeks. My bone is just healing super duper slow and my toes look like sausages. But..my foot is soooo much more narrower. They look like a lady's foot for a change. Yay! Even though I have sausage toes. ha!

I'm really sad. I thought at this point I would be starting to weight bare...but alas...I will be scooting on my knee scooter a bit longer.

Old 10-04-2011, 06:42 AM   #8
(female)

Hi There,

It seems every ortho surgeon does this surgery a bit different. I guess it depends on the type of fixation. I have two screws in each ft.

I was able to bear weight a few wks post surgery on my heels with velcro bunion shoes.
At 6wks, I could start bearing full weight gradually in the velcro shoes and now going in to my 9th wk, I walking in wide fit running shoes.

Be prepared for lots of swelling when you go FWB. My feet looked so small and narrow too before FWB, now they look like Fred Flinstone feet..lol because of the swelling. Left ft is pretty bad with swelling, rt foot is not too swollen.

It takes A LOT of time and healing with this procedure! Good luck!

Last edited by mod85; 10-20-2011 at 03:54 PM.

Old 10-12-2011, 07:51 PM   #9
(female)

Mobilizeus HB User

Hey! Thanks for the advice...I'm still waiting to WB.....

Old 10-19-2011, 09:50 PM   #10
(female)

Mobilizeus HB User

After seeing my bone not healing quick enough, my Pod advised me to start weight bearing anyway... I am 10 weeks post op lapidus. Is it normal for the heel to hurt like crazy? Just partial bearing on heel and it has sharp pains.
Thanks for the help!

Old 11-06-2011, 04:34 PM   #11
(female)

hannahbee HB User

Hey Nicole! I was just wondering how you're doing? I'll give you an update on my situation...

I am now walking, however not properly. I don't walk the normal heel to toe method, mainly because of fear of breaking something but also because of swelling. I am improving though, and I know I should not get impatient. My walking is so much better from when I first started in normal shoes, I was hobbling like an old lady! I do still have a bit of a limp, but it's definitely not as bad.

The swelling is slowly going down, I can see some of the veins in my foot! My scar is healing very nicely although it feels all weird and tingly when I touch it, something like Harry Potter! I have not gained all the feeling back near some of the incision site, although this is normal (apparently). I can't walk for very long because of pain, I think I can walk for around 4 hours before needing a sit down.

I want to start going to the gym, I think I might try the stationary bike (only using the heel on my operated foot) to try and gain some strength. I don't know about you but I feel very out of shape!

So there we are

Old 11-07-2011, 10:03 AM   #12
(female)

Hurtfoot HB User

Nicole, I am 6w post lapidus (plate was used). I just got home from a doctors appt. My pod says the very earliest he will let me try to walk is 8 weeks. He really wanted me to wait for 10 weeks but i am really need to get back on my feet...I have 3 kids and am going batty! Hope that helps! Good luck to you.

Old 11-07-2011, 10:17 AM   #13
(female)

Boa123 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicole K View Post
When were each of you who have had this procedure (Lapidus Bunionectomy), full weight bearing?

My Dr. wants me walking full weight bearing to my appt with him at 7 1/2 wks post-op. I'm nervous and afraid it will hurt. I've only put weight on my heels so far with a walker.
Hi I had bunion surgery on Sept 29th, after about 4 weks I am bale to walk on my heels, I have another appt on Nov 16 , and im still off work, he says il be off till at least Jan 1, 12

Closed Thread