It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-13-2011, 05:54 PM   #1
(female)

Pickally7 HB User
Posterior Tibial Tendon Repair

I'm 26 years old, and I'm preparing to have surgery to repair a tear in my posterior tibial tendon on Friday. I've struggled with foot pain in my left foot for the last 2 years. I finally went to a podiatrist in January 2010, and he told me that I had plantar fasciitis. That diagnosis made sense to me; my mom struggles with PF, and after years of competitive and college volleyball, I figured I'd just over-used my poor foot. After the orthotics, stretches, and multiple cortisone shots, he suggested that we try the Topaz procedure. In July 2010, I had the surgery and was hopeful that it would fix my problem. Within 3 months, I was in worse pain than I was to begin with. I kept telling the doctor that I was still hurting; his only solution was to give me more cortisone shots.

I realized that I had to do something different; I was in pain, and it didn't seem that my doctor was quite getting it. So, in May of 2011, I decided to see another podiatrist. After hearing my story, looking at X-rays and a quick ultrasound, he decided to give me another cortisone shot in a different area to see if this was possibly a nerve issue. A couple of weeks later, he decided (based on the cortisone shot temporarily relieving some pain) that I had Baxter's Nerve Entrapment. And of course, the only treatment was surgery. I wasn't too excited about surgery involving the nerves, so I decided to wait a while before I made a decision.

In the meantime, the pain was increasing and traveling. I had constant pain from the arch of my foot up through the back of my leg into my calf. Having played sports my entire life, I've had my share of MRI's, and I just felt like I needed some type of diagnostic test before I just jumped into another surgery that would end up making things worse again. I decided to see an orthopedic/sports medicine doctor... and low and behold, she ordered an MRI and a nerve conduction test. After 2 MRI's (apparently the first one didn't get enough of my leg), they determined that I have a tear in my posterior tibial tendon. I, like so many others, tried the boot (which I've been wearing now for a month), and it really only gave me slightly more comfort than my dress shoe. So, I'm now eagerly anticipating surgery on Friday. I'm ready for a permanent fix.

All of that rambling to say, I'm curious about the recovery. My doctor told me to tell my employer that I'd be out of work for 2 weeks, but being a fairly new employee, I indicated to my boss that I'm hopeful to return after a week off. I had back surgery in the Spring of 2005, and after a week off from school, I was able to go back to class. Of course, mobility was limited, and I was in some pain, but I was able to function. That being said, I'm feeling pretty confident that I can head back to work after a week of concentrated rest (I'm at my desk most hours of the day... outside of walking to and from the parking lot and and an occasional trip to the printer). Is that realistic? I know everyone handles pain and surgery differently, but I just thought I'd see if anyone had any insight/suggestions. I'm mainly nervous about the cast and the stitches as I've never experienced the joy of either one Also, I tend to get nauseated as a result of anesthesia and pain meds, so I'm praying that I won't be throwing up in conjunction with being crippled! I am super thankful that this is all happening to my left foot; not being able to drive would certainly complicate things considerably.

So, any advice/tips on the recovery process would be appreciated. Or, if anyone has suggestions on items I need to have during the recovery process, then that would be helpful as well. Glad I stumbled upon this blog. I feel like less of a weirdo now that I know other people have struggled through this as well!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-06-2011, 02:02 PM   #2
(female)

obwats HB User
Re: Posterior Tibial Tendon Repair

I just had a postibal tendon repair, spring ligament repair, and a strayor procedure on my calf on Aug 1st. I am non weight bearing for anther 3 weeks. It is my right foot so I cannot drive. My doctor told me 4- 6 months recovery. you might want to get a second opinion.

Old 10-06-2011, 03:52 PM   #3
(male)

j9879 HB Userj9879 HB Userj9879 HB Userj9879 HB Userj9879 HB Userj9879 HB Userj9879 HB User

Pickally7,

One thing to understand is that most tears in the posterior tibial tendon do not occur based on an injury. It is a wear and tear of the tendon based on structural abnormalities in your foot. The posterior tibial tendon is most important in supporting the arch. When you over pronate due to structural abnormalities in your foot (ie - flatfoot), the tendon gets over worked and can tear. The MOST important factor when looking at the posterior tibial tendon is finding out if its tear was caused by structural problems in the foot. If it is, then by just fixing the tendon you are bound to having it reoccur in the future.

Treating the posterior tibial tendon is very different from most other tendons in the rest of the body. When your achilles tendon tears, it can be fixed. When the flexor tendon in your elbow tears, it is fixed. When the posterior tibial tendon tears, it is fixed but other things are done to the foot to prevent it from happening again. For this reason, you need to make sure the physician you are seeing specialized in foot and ankle. Most general orthopedic physicians will see the tear and fix it like any other tendon. It is doomed for failure and you will have 2 surgeries instead of 1. It looks like your post was from back in September and you already had surgery. Hopefully, the appropriate procedure was done to fix the problem and not just fix the tendon.

The Following User Says Thank You to j9879 For This Useful Post:
j8oxas (11-09-2011)
Old 10-06-2011, 03:57 PM   #4
(female)

obwats HB User

Gosh I hope so. I am a police officer and a very active soccer player. I have been going insane not being able to be mobile. Have you had your surgrey yet?

Closed Thread