It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-15-2011, 12:08 AM   #1
(female)

lola456 HB Userlola456 HB Userlola456 HB User
upcoming pttd surgery

Hi,

I have surgery scheduled for next Wednesday for PTTD. (And am of course terrified as I've never had surgery before.)

First and foremost, I wanted to thank everyone who has posted on here. I've read a vast majority of the PTTD related posts on here and your stories and posts have been incredibly helpful. So many, many thanks.

And last, I had some questions
1 - I had my pre-op today and after, I realized that they took no vitals, no blood, nothing of the sort. They did take my blood pressure about a month ago when I first saw them, so perhaps they're using that. But, it struck me as kind of odd that one could go under anesthesia based on a month old blood pressure reading..So - is this normal?

2 - Thanks to your posts, i plan on being on my butt for about 6 weeks (which, the doctor simply saying 'in a cast' for 6 weeks had me imagining i'd be hopping around everywhere, not that i'd be toes above my nose for that long!!). For the first few days though, were you guys able to make it to the bathroom okay? I figure i might wear a panty liner in case it takes longer than desired, but in my head, i'll be able to make it...is this realistic?

I think that's it for now. Just thank you all again and again.
Because of the posts here, it suddenly dawned on me that I've had a metal allergy since I was a kid and thus should make sure I get titanium screws...I found out that my doctor saying I could try running again in a year wasn't that I needed to take (a lot of) time off - it was that the full recovery for this is a year-1.5 years..Well, I could go on and on with the stuff that I learned here that I never would have known about until I learned the hard way. So again, *thank you all* for taking the time to post. I am indebted.

---
Forgot to mention:
I'm supposed to get a calcaneal osteotomy (he thinks he can get by without the lateral lengthening), an FDL tendon transfer, gastrocnemius recession, and a TMT fusion.

Last edited by lola456; 09-15-2011 at 08:46 AM. Reason: please do not post a commercial website, for any reason.

The following user gives a hug of support to lola456:
profmia (09-20-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-15-2011, 05:03 AM   #2
(female)

swimbunnie HB Userswimbunnie HB Userswimbunnie HB Userswimbunnie HB Userswimbunnie HB Userswimbunnie HB Userswimbunnie HB User
Re: upcoming pttd surgery

Did they at least take an ekg? I had that plus a chest x ray, and blood profile along with the blood pressure. J would think the ekg and blood profile are extremely important since if there is a problem with either, you could have huge problems undergoing surgery. I also had to come off my RA meds one week before surgery and stay off them for 6 weeks after. If I were you I'd call and find out why such a limited pre-op. I had calcaneal osteotomy, FDL transfer, and tmt fusion, along with marrow injection. That was June 1st. Although I was in huge splint, I was able to get out of bed and to the bathroomn with a walker, but always called for nurse as soon as the inkling to go started rather than wait till it was imperative. When I was home on my own I didnt wait either, because I needed to put a sneakers on my other foot since the extra strain was getting to it.
Today I go for my 14 week check up and hope to get go ahead to drive (its my right foot) and begin weaning in to a shoe. Good luck.

Last edited by swimbunnie; 09-15-2011 at 05:10 AM.

The Following User Says Thank You to swimbunnie For This Useful Post:
lola456 (09-15-2011)
Old 09-15-2011, 06:36 AM   #3
(female)

Zoeys Grammy HB UserZoeys Grammy HB UserZoeys Grammy HB UserZoeys Grammy HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lola456 View Post
Hi,

I have surgery scheduled for next Wednesday for PTTD. (And am of course terrified as I've never had surgery before.)

First and foremost, I wanted to thank everyone who has posted on here. I've read a vast majority of the PTTD related posts on here and your stories and posts have been incredibly helpful. So many, many thanks.

And last, I had some questions
1 - I had my pre-op today and after, I realized that they took no vitals, no blood, nothing of the sort. They did take my blood pressure about a month ago when I first saw them, so perhaps they're using that. But, it struck me as kind of odd that one could go under anesthesia based on a month old blood pressure reading..So - is this normal?

2 - Thanks to your posts, i plan on being on my butt for about 6 weeks (which, the doctor simply saying 'in a cast' for 6 weeks had me imagining i'd be hoping around everywhere, not that i'd be toes above my nose for that long!!). For the first few days though, were you guys able to make it to the bathroom okay? I figure i might wear a panty liner in case it takes longer than desired, but in my head, i'll be able to make it...is this realistic?

I think that's it for now. Just thank you all again and again.
Because of the posts here, it suddenly dawned on me that I've had a metal allergy since I was a kid and thus shouldn't make sure I get titanium screws...I found out that my doctor saying I could try running again in a year wasn't that I needed to take (a lot of) time off - it was that the full recovery for this is a year-1.5 years..Well, I could go on and on with the stuff that I learned here that I never would have known about until I learned the hard way. So again, *thank you all* for taking the time to post. I am indebted.

---
Forgot to mention:
I'm supposed to get a calcaneal osteotomy (he thinks he can get by without the lateral lengthening), an FDL tendon transfer, gastrocnemius recession, and a TMT fusion.
Hi,

To answer you, I had to have a chest xray and ekg, pre-op. There was a list of meds that I had to quit taking 10 days before surgery, also.

Regarding the bathroom, I had a portable potty chair directly beside the recliner where I made my nest.

My surgery was June 6. I had a post tibial tendon transfer anda subtalar fusion.

Good luck to you. Zoey's Grammy

The Following User Says Thank You to Zoeys Grammy For This Useful Post:
lola456 (09-15-2011)
Old 09-15-2011, 08:00 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Missyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB User

I had ptt repair, fdl tendon transfer, calcaneal osteotomy, achielles tendon lengthening and kidner procedures August 2010. At the preop, they drew blood and blood pressure. Many times, x-rays and ekg are only taken if there is a pre-existing condition or some doctors may require it based on age. I was 50 when I had my surgery and had no pre-existing conditions. I also had general anesthesia. Will you have a nerve block? I had a 17 hour popliteal nerve block and it worked wonderful. I stayed in the hospital for two nights due to having a drain in place (they found a fractured bone and had to shave my bone). Make sure you keep your toes above your heart at least for several weeks. It will help with pain and swelling. Stay ahead of the pain by taking the pain pills when due. Also, I had no problem hobbling to the bathroom and no accidents! My screws are titaneum and fortunately I have never had a problem with them. This was my first surgery and I was also scared. Everything went fine. It really does take between 9 mths to a year for your foot to really heal. Just be sure to follow your doctors instructions. Good luck

The Following User Says Thank You to Missyluke For This Useful Post:
lola456 (09-15-2011)
Old 09-15-2011, 09:34 AM   #5
(female)

All -

Thank you!

Nope, the only thing you all listed that they did do was have me give them a list of medication/supplements and tell me what I couldn't take 2 weeks in advance (though that was done by mail prior to the appointment).

He briefly held my foot/had me push against it to test my ptt, showed me where the incisions would be and other than that, it was pretty much just talking.

I'll call the clinic and find out what the usual is.

In the meantime: a new question
Based on Swimbunnie's post, I'm wondering - which foot did you have done & when did the rest of you start driving again?

Swimbunnie -
I'm glad you mentioned the other shoe part. My other foot has not been happy with this and I need to do whatever I can to prevent it from going the same route!

14 weeks until driving? eek. My doctor said 8 weeks, but as I'll only be 2 weeks of partial weight bearing at that point (and not wearing a shoe until 12wks), I was wondering how I would be reliably pushing an accelerator/slamming on the breaks if needed..(it's my right foot too )

Thanks also for a prior post that mentioned 'atv' knee rollers. I didn't realize they existed, but would be incredibly handy as my driveway is rocky and I'll primarily be using the walker to walk the dogs which doesn't really include too many smooth surfaces)

Zoey's Granny -
A subtalar fusion...wow...I hope things are going well for you now that you've passed the 3month mark!

Missyluke -
I will be doing a nerve block (another thing I learned about here!). I'm hoping it does the magic it did for you.

It looks like you're just past the one year mark (congratulations!) Do you feel like you're now at the 'recovered' stage and able to do what you once could?

(as a side note - I mistyped and wrote 'shouldn't get titanium screws' - i meant 'should' I updated)

Last edited by lola456; 09-15-2011 at 09:35 AM.

Old 09-15-2011, 02:26 PM   #6
(female)

indaslot HB Userindaslot HB Userindaslot HB Userindaslot HB Userindaslot HB Userindaslot HB User

My son had no tests, X-rays or other prior to his surgery, probably due to his young age (18). The only instruction was not to take NSAIDS for 10 days before the procedure.

The Following User Says Thank You to indaslot For This Useful Post:
lola456 (09-16-2011)
Old 09-16-2011, 12:31 PM   #7
(female)

I talked to the doctor's office and it wasn't a case of one person thought the other one was taking care of it..
They said that:
~they don't do any involved checks for anyone who doesn't have diabetes or a heart condition
~they don't do blood tests on people in my age group (37)
~they'll take my blood pressure the day of (when it will be sky high! )

So, I guess that's it...
While thankfully still a spring chicken to some, I would have thought my age group (or rather, any age group) would still need a basic CBC for say a white blood count to ensure there is no underlying/active infection..or some other basic health check. But, apparently not.

The countdown begins...

Old 09-16-2011, 11:11 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

velvetrain HB Uservelvetrain HB Uservelvetrain HB Uservelvetrain HB Uservelvetrain HB Uservelvetrain HB Uservelvetrain HB Uservelvetrain HB Uservelvetrain HB Uservelvetrain HB User

I sincerely hope everything goes well for and is uneventful. I wasnervous just like you. It was my first ever surgerey too. I was so nervous that I didn't sleep at all the night before and had to be given anti anxiety meds before I was taken into the operating room. Don't be shy asking for something if you feel the same. I had to have a physical before surgerey in which my primary doctor did an EKG. I also had a thorough pre- op the day before my surgerey. They made me scrub my foot and entire body with some antibacterial body wash they gave me for two days before surgery.

The Following User Says Thank You to velvetrain For This Useful Post:
lola456 (09-17-2011)
Old 09-17-2011, 02:32 AM   #9
(female)

swimbunnie HB Userswimbunnie HB Userswimbunnie HB Userswimbunnie HB Userswimbunnie HB Userswimbunnie HB Userswimbunnie HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lola456 View Post
So, I guess that's it...
While thankfully still a spring chicken to some, I would have thought my age group (or rather, any age group) would still need a basic CBC for say a white blood count to ensure there is no underlying/active infection..or some other basic health check. But, apparently not.

The countdown begins...
Yeah I had knee surgery at 29 and they did bloodwork. Times change

Old 09-17-2011, 07:38 PM   #10
(female)

velvetrain -
*thank you*
Your tag line played a big part in my getting the guts to go through with it. I kept reading things on HealthBoards and would read your posts; the fact that you're glad you went through with it over half a year after is quite helpful.

It's funny how different doctors/hospitals do things. In a pre-foot surgery form letter I got in the mail, it requested I cut my toenails and wash my toes/feet/ankles the night before. Though I had planned on using anti-bacterial soap regardless, the letter doesn't even mention it.

As for pre-surgery anti-anxiety assistance, I do believe I'll either be shockingly calm about it all, or borderline panic attack. As the latter is more likely, I most definitely will be asking!!

swimbunnie -

I hadn't thought of it, but when I had my wisdom teeth out about 20 years ago, they did a heart test first. The procedure was to be done with IV sedation, not full anesthesia, but something in one of their original basic tests raised enough of a concern that I had to see a cardiologist before being cleared. I don't remember what it was..perhaps that I have a flutter? Either way, at about 18yrs old, they ran pre-tests - and that was just for IV sedation..

I guess times do indeed change.

Last edited by lola456; 09-17-2011 at 07:40 PM.

The Following User Says Thank You to lola456 For This Useful Post:
velvetrain (09-17-2011)
Old 09-17-2011, 08:54 PM   #11
Veteran
(female)

velvetrain HB Uservelvetrain HB Uservelvetrain HB Uservelvetrain HB Uservelvetrain HB Uservelvetrain HB Uservelvetrain HB Uservelvetrain HB Uservelvetrain HB Uservelvetrain HB User

It was a wild range of emotions. My surgerey was supposed to start at 9:30 but my doctor was running behind. I was his second surgerey of the day. It being delayed made me panic and question if I really wanted to go through with it. I knew I had too because the pain was very bad. I kept running to the bathroom 4 times in a hospital gown holding my iv bag of fluid in an attempt to empty my bladder even though I did that on the first trip. After the fourth trip they gave me something to calm me.

Honestly even though I still have pain in my foot due to the screw in my heel( will more than likely have it removed early next year) I am glad I had surgerey as I don't have that awful burning pain in my foot when I walk like I did before surgerey. I'm a bit more active but still can't run or walk very fast.
I am glad to be back on two feet walking even though it's with a slight limp.

Old 09-19-2011, 06:40 PM   #12
(female)

Wow. Going in for surgery is bad enough. But then having it delayed...That would be almost unbearable. I don't know what I'd do with that one!

It is lovely to think that the burning would be gone..that does get quite tiresome.

Old 09-19-2011, 07:58 PM   #13
Veteran
(female)

Sending your good vibes. All of us truly know what it feels like to walk in your shoes. It will be a relief to finally have the surgery and start your recoverey process and get the whole ordeal behind you. I'm still a bit envious of folks around me with no foot issues. This is going on two years for me from the tendon tearing to recovering from surgerey.

Closed Thread