It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-15-2011, 07:29 PM   #1
(female)

dbizz11 HB User
Question walking after broken calcaneus

So I broke my right calcaneus 8 weeks ago today. No surgery was required. I have been on crutches and in a boot this entire time with NWB. At week 4 I was told the fracture wasn't healing so I was prescribed an ultrasound bone stimulator that I use daily. I went for my 8 week check up today and x-ray showed significant healing! My OS says I can now begin PWB. He also said for me to wear my regular athletic tennis shoes with a cushioned heal insert. Here's my dilemma. I am absolutely terrified to try to walk again! When I try to do regular movements it's very uncomfortable and painful. Tendons and ligaments have tightened up and are very stiff and my muscles are non-existent in my leg. Any suggestions on how to make this journey and transition back into walking any easier? How long will this take before I can walk again without any support ie; crutches, cane, etc.?

Old 09-16-2011, 07:01 PM   #2
(female)

patience101 HB User
Re: walking after broken calcaneus

I shattered my heel June 4th. 14 pieces, surgery, NWB for 12 weeks so it was worse that yours but I would still take it easy. Use the crutches when you first start putting weight on your foot. Then you can increase as you see it's possible. Are you doing therapy? I would definetely take baby steps. It will get better with time. I am just a week of weight bearing and can tell alot of difference. Of course mine is different due to the hardware (which may have to come out) but still it does get a little better each day.

The Following User Says Thank You to patience101 For This Useful Post:
dbizz11 (09-22-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-17-2011, 01:54 AM   #3
(female)

lightstepper HB Userlightstepper HB Userlightstepper HB Userlightstepper HB Userlightstepper HB Userlightstepper HB User

Maybe some physical therapy will help you? My post-cast instructions were to walk as normally as possible and be done with the crutches/walker within a week. They said it will hurt so much you will think something is wrong. They said to go back on pain killers if you need to to get through this time. It took me two weeks to ditch my walker, but the more you use it, the less swelling and you can move better. It really is true.

Best of luck to you and congrats on getting rid of your cast. I remember I was soooo thrilled to be rid of it!

The Following User Says Thank You to lightstepper For This Useful Post:
dbizz11 (09-22-2011)
Old 09-17-2011, 10:08 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Zerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB User

You need to be excited about walking. Its the next phase to getting back to your life. You are going to have to suck up some pain, if you want to get there though. But the pain will come with use, not every little step.

Cushioned socks help alot. I wear wool hiking socks year round. Light in the summer, heavy in the winter.

The Following User Says Thank You to Zerk For This Useful Post:
dbizz11 (09-22-2011)
Old 09-17-2011, 10:09 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

Zerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB User

You need to be excited about walking. Its the next phase to getting back to your life. You are going to have to suck up some pain, if you want to get there though. But the pain will come with use, not every little step.

Cushioned socks help alot. I wear wool hiking socks year round. Light in the summer, heavy in the winter.

Old 09-22-2011, 06:43 PM   #6
(female)

dbizz11 HB User

Thank you so much everyone for your advice! I am new to this site so I'm still figuring things out! Anyway, I began PWB with my crutches last Friday and it went surprisingly well. I have been massaging my foot a lot and things seem to have "loosened up". I can get around ok with one crutch but only with shoes on. Going barefoot doesn't work out so well. I work in a medical laboratory so I'm up and about all day long. I'm shocked my foot hasn't swollen since I've been on it more. I'm only feeling slight pain where the actual fracture is (outer side of my right heel). I get worried that by trying to put weight on it that it will re-break. Doctor said he isn't going to recommend PT, which was a little surprising but he must be confident that I don't need it. I go back in 3 weeks and hopefully by then I won't need the crutches anymore. I'm wondering if a cane would be a little more convenient than crutches? Again, thanks to everyone who responded!

Old 09-23-2011, 06:29 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

[QUOTE=dbizz11;4847673] I'm wondering if a cane would be a little more convenient than crutches? ! [/QUOTE]

I went from wheelchair to walker to cane, with overlap of each. Started out 1/2 days on the next one, and then had walekr free day, though I still went back to it for big days.

I used the cane for a few months for support goign places. You need to learn how to use it and set it up. It goes on the side of the good foot, and follows the bad, taking pressure of the good foot, that you are favoring. Plus you want it kinda high so not to much pressure on your elbow.

Closed Thread