It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-16-2011, 02:09 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB User
Peroneal Tendons Injured or Just "another" Sprain? Help!

Hey guys! Need some help. I was wearing wedge sandals at a wedding last weekend and we were standing on flat ground inside a building. I took a step with my left foot (surgically repaired ankle) and it gave out. Went all the way over. The only reason I didn't hit the floor is b/c someone caught me. I thought *whew that was close*! I was scared to take a step, but it felt ok. I thought I was good. By the time I got home from the wedding, it was so sore and stiff! No swelling, but slight discoloration. The ATFL is sore, but the main soreness/pain is beneath and behind the ankle between the ankle bone and the achilles. I have this pain on and off anyway from when I broke my 5th met and severely sprained the ankle a few years ago. But now it's intensified. Do you think I just have another mild sprain (which I'm sure I do b/c my toes hurt and every sprain I've had, my toes hurt) or do you think I've done something to my peroneal tendons? Anyone with experience with this? What are the symptoms and how were they treated? Thanks!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-16-2011, 05:29 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: Peroneal Tendons Injured or Just "another" Sprain? Help!

You know, during my ankle wars, I started to get pain in that area that turned out to be related to a spasm of the peroneal MUSCLES. I treated it by actually rolling a ballpoint pen up and down along my fibula!

I suggest you get some ice on it now, massage or roll out the muscles, and see what happens. If it doesn't seem to be getting better, call the surgeon.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-19-2011, 12:27 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB User

Thanks for your reply Jane! My peroneal muscles are knotted up and I've tried to massage them out. I'm getting my massage therapist to try today as well. Ankle is still REALLY sore. I'm fairly certain it is sprained, but I wonder if there is more going on with the peroneal tendons than just the muscle knotting? Like partial tears or tendinitis?

Old 09-19-2011, 01:52 PM   #4
(male)

Flaubert HB User

I had a "mild" sprain three months ago. When I got home, the ankle felt stiff and it hurt, but 5 days later I couldn't walk with that ankle. To this day I can't use that ankle very much, and it feels very weak.
Then, while I was using crutches, I had another "mild" sprain. This time my other ankle. When I got home, it didn't feel too bad, but a week later I couldn't walk with that ankle either!
At first I didn't think it was a sprain, because I hadn't really rolled my ankles or anything. I had just overstressed them, with a lot of walking. But with little care they got worse and worse, and now it's been 3 weeks since I can't walk, and my ankles only seem to get better when I don't move at all!

So I would advise against thinking it's nothing serious, or that it CAN'T turn into something serious, just because you didn't fall off the stairs or didn't twist your ankle like a roulette or something.

Old 09-19-2011, 02:47 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

It's tough to tell for sure whether the tendon is damaged. I can tell you, my muscle knots produced a sharp pain right between the heel and malleolus.

If there's any swelling in that specific area, if it's very tender to the touch, those would be clues. Also, see how much the pain improves once you get the knots out.

Old 09-19-2011, 04:52 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

FLAUBERT--Wow that's terrible! Are you injured right now? How is your ankle feeling? Are you able to walk? That is one of my favorite Bible verses by the way!

JANE--There's no swelling, but there never was much if any. There was some discoloration, but over a week later, that is almost gone. I am having that same sharp pain between the malleolus and my Achilles. There isn't any sharp pain when I push on the tendons, but they are slightly tender. I had a massage therapist really work on the knots in my peroneal muscles. I just about came off the table a couple of times b/c they are so tender. When he would put pressure on the knots, it radiated into my ankle, but further than just between my ankle and Achilles. It would radiate all the way over the ATFL area which is already sore from the sprain. That really lit me up! Now the leg is sore from the massage and my ankle is a little more sore/tender as well. The knots are still there. I've been working for a while to get them out and the massage hasn't worked either. Do they come out? I'm worried b/c other places I have knots like in my neck/shoulders, they don't come out. So wonder if these will? What does that mean if they won't release? How long did yours take and what all did you have to do? Thanks!

Old 09-19-2011, 05:02 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

That sounds almost exactly like what I went through. And yes, I have knots in my neck that don't release, either.

When the actual knot is too sore, sometimes I can get benefit from massaging a different part of the same muscle. Stretching the peroneals helped, too, if your ankle is sufficiently recovered. Basically, you sit with your leg out in front of you and pull in your toes, like you're trying to stretch your calf muscle, but you invert the foot, so you're really just pulling your BIG toe in.

All this helped. But honestly, the only thing that fully resolved it was getting back to normal walking. And I still get a little soreness in those muscles now and then.

Old 09-19-2011, 05:13 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Yes b/c of the knots were so painful, he would massage the rest of the muscle all the way up and down (both of them). I will try the stretches too, but will have to wait b/c my ankle is still too sore for that. My ATFL is pretty tender from the sprain. So your knots only came out once you started walking normally? I've had these knots a while even when I was walking normally before this most recent sprain. They just didn't hurt or hurt like this for some reason until after this sprain. But I can't take the radiating especially over my very tender ATFL much longer!

Old 09-21-2011, 01:24 PM   #9
(male)

Flaubert HB User

Well I don't know exacly what I have, and I don't think the doctors know it either. I think that my ligaments were overburdened, and I tried everything the doctors said and everything I could think of, and nothing was particularly helpful. I don't know what I can say about your condition, though, Hollywood! Last week's tuesday I decided to stop going to PT (for my left ankle) to let my right ankle get some ABSOLUTE rest. Because just getting myself to PT was too much movement for my right ankle, even when using a wheelchair (which of course I HAD to use)! And this week's monday I went to a renowed sports doctor (with A LOT of experience), and he gave me these zinc bandages and over the next three days he gave me diclofenac shots.

I just came back from the third and last, and he says that by next monday I should be completely OK. He's basing himself upon the fact that the MRI's show no structural damage, so I don't know how right can he be, but the zinc bandages (which are good for immovilizing my ankle), the diclofenac shots and the absolute rest are working wonders! After weeks of suffering and no seeing practically no progress, I finally see some results!

And of course, I'm praying and entrusting myself to the Lord's grace! And like I said, after weeks, I can finally see some improvements on my ankles.

Just thought I'd share my experience, in case it can be of some help. =) In my case, the massages and PT only worsened my right ankle (which was still too weak).

The following user gives a hug of support to Flaubert:
janewhite1 (09-21-2011)
Closed Thread