It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-16-2011, 02:19 PM   #1
(female)

runnerwriter HB Userrunnerwriter HB User
Post op NWB ankle, driving question

Okay, so, I'm about 7 weeks post op from drilling/OCD lesion, right ankle. I've got the roller that I love and all is well. Except, I'm going nuts not driving. I feel so trapped and the emotional toll is getting to me. I've had a bunch of kids tell me that they drove left footed when they were in a cast. Then, I've had others say I'd be in BIG TROUBLE insurance wise if I do it.
My question is,,,,, can I put a little pressure on the gas pedal with my bad foot? And then, as soon as I get to my short destination, (2 miles to my office) put boot on?
I'm scared to even try but surely people eventually HAVE to drive. Or is that just too much pressure for the foot?
What's the worst case scenario? I'm only doing minor range of motion in PT...

Old 09-16-2011, 05:44 PM   #2
(female)

jlynn66 HB Userjlynn66 HB Userjlynn66 HB Userjlynn66 HB User
Re: Post op NWB ankle, driving question

Hey I totally understand your frustration not being as mobile and independent. I am 9 weeks post op from subtalar fusion and tendon work, still nwb. My husband has been driving me everywhere. Now for me, it's the left foot, so I probably could get away with driving, but what we have to remember is that driving doesn't just impact our lives, it impacts every other driver on the road. My discomfort or awkwardness could be enough to impact my responses. You have to give your full attention to driving to be safe. What if someone pulled in front of you or someone on a bike got in your way... how fast could you stop with your sore foot?? I know it sucks but the risk just isn't worth it. And yes if something happened you would be in a world of hurt with your insurance company. You would be considered at fault for anything, no matter what the "other guy" did. Wait the extra few weeks it's gonna take for your foot to be stronger and you get back in a shoe.

The Following User Says Thank You to jlynn66 For This Useful Post:
runnerwriter (09-17-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-17-2011, 01:28 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Missyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB User

I had flat foot reconstruction surgery on my left foot in August, 1010. My doctor told me that if I were in an accident, I would be in trouble even though it was not my driving foot (I live in Florida). It is illegal in most states to drive while foot is in a cast. Laws vary in all states but I would imagine it is not legal to drive while right foot is casted. I was surprised to learn I would be cited as being at fault if something happened while driving while left foot casted. He said one of his patients was in an accident and got into alot of trouble driving with left foot casted.

The Following User Says Thank You to Missyluke For This Useful Post:
runnerwriter (09-17-2011)
Old 09-17-2011, 04:28 AM   #4
(female)

lightstepper HB Userlightstepper HB Userlightstepper HB Userlightstepper HB Userlightstepper HB Userlightstepper HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missyluke View Post
I had flat foot reconstruction surgery on my left foot in August, 1010. My doctor told me that if I were in an accident, I would be in trouble even though it was not my driving foot (I live in Florida). It is illegal in most states to drive while foot is in a cast. Laws vary in all states but I would imagine it is not legal to drive while right foot is casted. I was surprised to learn I would be cited as being at fault if something happened while driving while left foot casted. He said one of his patients was in an accident and got into alot of trouble driving with left foot casted.
Ditto with my doctor and my left foot. It would be even worse with the right in a cast. Don't tempt fate. Hang in there!

Old 09-17-2011, 12:25 PM   #5
(male)

LivesNearStore HB UserLivesNearStore HB UserLivesNearStore HB UserLivesNearStore HB UserLivesNearStore HB UserLivesNearStore HB UserLivesNearStore HB UserLivesNearStore HB User

I'll tell you what I did, though that doesn't mean it was either legal or a good idea. On the 6th day after surgery, I drove a mile to the gym. I wore the boot and braked with my left foot, because I was supposed to be NWB. I think I drove twice like that, both short trips because my foot would swell up whenever it was down. Otherwise I took the hotel shuttle, my wife drove, or I lay in bed.

Started driving more 3 weeks after surgery when the swelling was reduced and doctor said could bear weight in boot and take off boot for driving. I used the boot for short trips and took it off for long trips. It made it hard to control the gas pedal properly because you have to use your upper leg muscles and knee joint instead of lower leg muscles and ankle joint. I would not have felt comfortable doing an emergency stop with my right foot in the boot. Once I got a little "unintended acceleration" while parking because my left foot was on the brake but my right foot was slightly pushing the gas pedal and I didn't notice until the car surged forward.

I practiced left-foot braking for a few months before my surgery. This is in an automatic. In my stick shift it was hopeless; the boot wouldn't even fit and would hit the gas and brake at the same time.

Old 09-17-2011, 02:20 PM   #6
(female)

LauraDulley HB User

I drove for 6 wks with my left leg. I just put my right leg beside the console. It was a bit jerky at first but I got good at it.

Closed Thread