It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-18-2011, 06:03 AM   #1
(female)

heatherdebar HB User
Surgery for bump on foot

Hi everyone- I've posted on Healthboards before but this is my first post on the Foot thread. To start I'm a healthy, 35 year old woman. About 6 months ago I noticed I was having pain in my left foot when I walked. I discovered a very small bump under the skin right below the 3rd toe. At the time it was about the size of a grain of rice and it hurt a lot when I pressed on it. It was annoying but I didn't give it much thought. It continued to get bigger (pea size) and more painful when walking so I started wrapping it with an ace bandage just to keep it padded but could never keep it on. People kept telling me it must be a corn. I ddn't really think so since its completely below the skin and the actual skin looks completely smooth but I've never had a corn and was heading to Disney World on vacation so i would try anything. I wore the OTC corn pads and pumiced the heck out of my foot but all it did was turn the skin white and make it peel off, the bump didn't change. I went through the summer just dealing with it but in the last month the pain got a lot worse and was spreading through my toes. I can not walk without shoes and keep flip flops by the bed so when I get up I can put them right on. Finally, my husband convinced me to go to the podiatrist which I did last week. She spent a long time studying it and moving it around and said she was baffled because it was clearly a "soft tissue mass" under the skin but doesn't appear to be attached to the skin. She said it has to come out and be sent to pathology. I know this is probably standard procedure but it is still scary! She told me I will have a sizeable incision since it's about the size of a dime now. I will be under full anesthesia and everything for the surgery although I forgot to ask how long it will actually take. As far as recovery goes, she told me I would go home with a foot brace that would allow me to walk without putting pressure on the incision and I'd be on crutches for a few days. I have 3 kids aged 1, 4 and 6. My one year old doesn't walk so obviously needs to be carried a lot. My 4 year old is autistic so he needs lots of attention. The dr. told me I would be in pain for day or two and would probably need help but after that it would just be like a bad cut on my foot. Has anyone had surgery like this and can tell me what to expect??? I need to know ahead of time what kind of help I will need. Also, I am going on a cruise 10/23 and want to be fully recovered by then. I have no idea when the surgery will be, the scheduler is supposed to call me this week. I want this thing out of me so I don't have to worry about it anymore and can get rid of the pain, but perhaps I should wait until after the cruise to do it?
Thanks for any advice!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-18-2011, 08:14 PM   #2
(female)

heatherdebar HB User
Re: Surgery for bump on foot

I just talked with my friend who's a nurse and has seen a lot of patients with surgeries similiar to the one I am going to have. She told me that it is going to be very painful! However, she did say that most of the patients she see have nasty infections which is why they are in the hospital. That worries me because after my c-section I got a bad infection even though I did everything they told me too. Ever since I found out I need surgery I am noticed the lump much more but I'm sure that's all in my head. I really hope they call me tomorrow to schedule so I'll know if I need to wait a few weeks or a few months.

Old 09-21-2011, 07:29 PM   #3
(male)

j9879 HB Userj9879 HB Userj9879 HB Userj9879 HB Userj9879 HB Userj9879 HB Userj9879 HB User
Re: Surgery for bump on foot

Did the physician order an MRI? In my opinion, when dealing with soft tissue masses an MRI is imperative especially when the physician is "baffled". The MRI will give information as the to size, attachments to other tissue, etc. It is pretty stupid to not obtain an MRI and just go in to cut it out.

Closed Thread