It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-20-2011, 06:08 PM   #1
(female)

woods5 HB User
I don't think the surgery fixed my ball of foot pain/swelling...

Hi all,

It's been a while. I had surgery on my right foot July 2010. Not sure of all he fancy names, but this is what he did. He shortened my second metatarsal and took the nerve out between the 2nd and 3rd. Before surgery I was experiences pain and swelling in the ball of my foot.

My foot took a long time to heal, but finally got released from my ortho DR in May. I mentioned to him that I felt like I was still having swelling in the ball of my foot (like before I had surgery). Dr's reply was he depends with pain, not swelling. I think I had to pick my mouth up off the floor. I decided to wait it out, as it had not been a year just yet. I work for a school, so I had the summer off, but we stayed busy. I have been back to work for 3 weeks now and boy has the pain and swelling come back. So now I don't know what to do, return to the ortho Dr or go back to the podiatrist. They are in the same office. I am now wondering if this may be more nerve related. I just don't know at this point and I am so frustrated that I went through the surgery and feel like I am right back where I was before. I am looking for any ideas on what is going on or what to do next...

Old 09-20-2011, 06:28 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: I don't think the surgery fixed my ball oof foot pain/swelling...

Are you talking about a Morton's Neuroma?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-21-2011, 04:46 AM   #3
(female)

woods5 HB User
Re: I don't think the surgery fixed my ball oof foot pain/swelling...

Yes, it was a Morton's Neuroma.. So now I have some numbing sensation in the ball of the foot, but still have pain.

Old 09-21-2011, 05:50 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

Dancinboots HB UserDancinboots HB UserDancinboots HB UserDancinboots HB User
Re: I don't think the surgery fixed my ball of foot pain/swelling...

I'm still having nerve problems and complications in ball of foot following mortons neuroma surgery over 3 years ago. Have been to many pods and ortho docs, chiropractors etc. since looking for help, and no one seems to know anything. I've had injections, cold laser therapy, acupuncture just to name a few. Wish I hade never got my foot cut on. It was better before the surgery. I continue to look for answers but it gets very discouraging. I wish you success in finding help. Hopefully we can find answers to our similiar problem.

Old 09-22-2011, 04:07 AM   #5
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Some numbness is normal - in the area between the toes and in the general area where the neuroma was removed. Did they explain that to you? Is this the numbness to which you refer? If you are near Baltimore and can get in to see Dr. Mark Myerson, he's one of the best in the country. If not, get a suggestion from his office for someone else to see.

Old 09-22-2011, 12:50 PM   #6
(female)

woods5 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
Some numbness is normal - in the area between the toes and in the general area where the neuroma was removed. Did they explain that to you? Is this the numbness to which you refer? If you are near Baltimore and can get in to see Dr. Mark Myerson, he's one of the best in the country. If not, get a suggestion from his office for someone else to see.
I looked Dr. Myerson up before, but they don't accept our insurance, so kind-of stuck there. At this point I don't know if I should see another podiatrist, another ortho Dr, or maybe someone else.

I am aware that I will have some numbness in my foot for the rest of my life, due to the nerve being removed. What I am feeling is not numbness. It's PAIN. Some nights it's so bad, I have to take some meds and ice it. And when I go to bed I just lay there, because it hurts so much. It just aches. I have tried buying new shoes that I have spent hundreds of dollars on, but the pain is still there. I only work 5 hours a day at an elementary school and I am not on my feet all day. I am usually up and down. I just want to know what is causing this pain and how to make it go away.

Old 09-22-2011, 02:46 PM   #7
Facilitator
(female)

Then call the Ravens and see who they use. Go to him/her.

Old 09-22-2011, 05:38 PM   #8
Facilitator
(female)

Got to thinking about this while I was jogging tonight....I know you aren't real up on what all the procedures were called but - exactly how was the neuroma removed? Or was it removed at all? There is a procedure called decompression surgery where they don't really remove the neuroma but cut some ligaments holding the bones together and then bury the neuroma where the ligaments were cut. The standard procedure is to remove the neuroma and then bury the end in the muscle without cutting the ligaments. Perhaps the ending wasn't buried properly. It's too soon for a stump neuroma - or least normally too soon.

Just some thoughts...

Closed Thread