It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-21-2011, 07:23 PM   #1
(female)

irena HB User
Angry Minimally invasive bunion surgery

Hi everyone.
I'm back again, and still looking for someone who does the minimally invasive bunion surgery in Seattle, I read of someone doing it in Vancouver B.C. from one of the posts, but didn't get any response from them to tell me who..
A lady had it done in the UK and was very sucsessful on both feet at the same time. Amazing! i too need both done, but doubt I could do that, I would be happy with one at a time as i have hammertoes to be taken care of at the same time. My age is against me, and one surgeon said "live with it" another said, Ok and I was scheduled for the surgery on the 30th Sept. Until I heard and read of this lesser traumatic surgery. So today I cancelled in hopes that someone can help me with information. Thank-you for any you can give.

Irena.

Old 09-22-2011, 07:08 AM   #2
(female)

Nicole K HB UserNicole K HB UserNicole K HB UserNicole K HB User
Re: Minimally invasive bunion surgery

Hi,

I'm in Toronto and I had it done by a top podiatrist here about 21 yrs ago (I'm 41 now). The name of the surgeon is Dr. Sheldon Nadal just in case you wanted to 'google' him and find out more info.

Another podiatrist that performs it here in Toronto is Dr. Chelin...again you can look him up on-line.

Another one is Dr. Neil Naftolin (not positive about the spelling of the last name).

My bunions returned after 21 years and I just had Lapidus bunionectomies performed on both feet almost 7 wks ago by an OS with permanent fixation of the first metarsal (two screws in each foot). I have hyper-mobility in my feet.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-22-2011, 07:15 AM   #3
(female)

Sorry, Dr. Neil Naftolin is an OS not a Pod.

Old 09-22-2011, 09:31 AM   #4
(male)

j9879 HB Userj9879 HB Userj9879 HB Userj9879 HB Userj9879 HB Userj9879 HB Userj9879 HB User

Do not get "minimally invasive" bunion surgery. I say this for several reasons.

1) They used to do minimally invasive surgeries much, much more often 20+ years ago. These were commonly known as "lunch time" bunions in NYC where you could be back on your feet by after a quick 30 min procedure. There is a reason they are not done any more and its not because it produced excellent results.

2) When you get a minimally invasive bunion procedure your not fixing the root cause of the problem. Minimally invasive procedures involve shaving down the bump on the side of your foot. In reality it is not a bump that forms, but an angulation of the entire 1st metatarsal bone. By just shaving down the bump, you are at a much greater risk of it returning and becoming problematic. So essentially you undergo a procedure that provides relief for a short period of time.

3) Not every bunion is the same. Some are very large and require an extensive procedure such as the lapidus and others are small and typically require much less. People that do minimally invasive bunion surgery do it on everybody because they can do it quick, provide short term relief and make money. They don't do it for the benefit of the patient.

I can't emphasize enough that you do not want to get a minimally invasive surgery if a different procedure will give you a better outcome. Trying to save a few weeks of recover time is not worth having an improper bunion correction.

Minimally invasive bunion surgery is not a new thing. It is in fact one of the first procedures preformed on bunions over 50 years ago. There is a reason very few people do it today.....it doesn't fix the problem. It is like having a flat tire and putting a piece of bubble gum over the leak. These are time saving gimmick procedures. You may get relief for a few months or a year, but it will most certainly come back. If a procedure is truly beneficial doesn't it make you wonder why it is so hard to find someone that does minimally invasive bunion surgery?

Old 09-22-2011, 10:49 AM   #5
(female)

I agree.

When I had it done 21 yrs ago, he charged me roughly $1700-1800 per foot. Now I hear some of the top podiatrists in Toronto charging between $3000-5000 per foot. Here in Toronto it is not covered by OHIP or private insurance. I paid it all on my own upfront.

When I went back to see him before going with an OS, he said he would do the procedure again and knock off (the current price ) what I had initially paid because I was unhappy!
He said "I can't give you perfect feet, or in your mind, what you consider a perfect foot", " I just can't do it".

Closed Thread