It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-25-2011, 03:33 AM   #1
(female)

lma1981 HB User
floppy 2nd toe after bunion surgery

Hi,

I had Bunion surgery 5 weeks ago and the surgeon also shortened my 2nd toe. Everything went well with the surgery and I am hoping to be out of my surgical shoe and splint this week. I have swelling when I walk on my foot for a while and numbness but this was nothing that I didn't expect or was warned about. My big problem is my 2nd toe, it hangs down under my other toes and I have no movement what so ever with it. It just hangs floppy and wobbles when I move my foot. At the minute it is in a splint holding it up but as soon as I take it off to shower it just drops down. I haven't seen the surgeon for almost 3 weeks when I had my stitches removed so haven't been able to mention it although I will when I see him on Thursday.

Has anyone else had this problem or know what the likely cause might be??

Many Thanks
Lisa

Old 09-26-2011, 05:06 AM   #2
(female)

cathlondon HB User
Re: floppy 2nd toe after bunion surgery

I have the exact same problem as you Lisa so will be watching this thread with interest.
I had a bunion removed and a 2nd metatarsal osteotomy 9 weeks ago. At 3 weeks post op I developed an infection and the wound split open resulting in a big recovery setback. I still cannot put ANY weight at all on my foot. My 2nd toe just sort of hangs down from the others and I cannot move it at all. I know what you mean when you say it wobbles when you move! In fact my 2nd toe now hangs down so much that the other toes seem to be sticking up in the air and not touching the floor.

I have to wait another 3 weeks until my next consultant appointment and will be very interested to see what he thinks about it and will post further once I have some more info on it!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-12-2011, 06:39 PM   #3
(female)

emmac25 HB User
Re: floppy 2nd toe after bunion surgery

I had the same issue as both of you. I was quite concerned after surgery as like you my toe hung lower and I couldn't move it without physically manipulating it. I'm 14 weeks on and while it still hangs slightly lower it isn't noticeable in shoes or even really when barefoot, the toe has "risen" and gained strength.

Hope the same happens for you both

Closed Thread