It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-26-2011, 09:48 AM   #1
(female)

AjL06Pc HB User
Prepping for Foot Surgery Recovery

Hi! I'm a 27 year old and I'm having a bunionectomy on 10/21/11. I am trying to prepare at home for my post-op recovery. I will be having the surgery on an outpatient basis so I will head home the same day as my surgery. I will have my someone with me 24/7 for the first three days, which I'm told will be non-weight bearing and then I will be on crutches for the following 3 weeks. My room is my home's basement, however there is my bedroom, a full bathroom and "living room" for me to crutch around.

I'm really looking for feedback on things to do to make my recovery easier. On day 4 post-op I will be home alone for about 3 hours a day. Any feedback and tips are greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Old 09-26-2011, 01:11 PM   #2
(female)

Grace404 HB UserGrace404 HB User
Re: Prepping for Foot Surgery Recovery

Hi - The "sticky" post just in the area above this message titled "Tactics for coping while non-weight-bearing after foot surgery" gives so much good advice for prepping before your surgery, so I would suggest you start there!

I am just at 13 weeks post-op from my surgery for Hallux Limitus / Hallux Rigidus and that post was so helpful for me, even though I could weight bear on my heel for two weeks.

Let us know if you have any questions!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-26-2011, 01:48 PM   #3
(female)

AjL06Pc HB User

Thanks!! I'll definitely check it out!

Old 09-27-2011, 01:28 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Northwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB User

The Canadian Orthopedic Foundation has a great booklet that can be downloaded from their site. It has all kinds of good tips.

I had my foot surgery two years ago. I got everything set up so I could stay on one floor. I think if I were to do it again, I'd invest in a nice recliner chair, but my love seat was good too. I could get comfy with my foot elevated. I had books, a computer, the phone nearby, and a husband checking in on me regularly.

I did not get friends set up to call on an as needed, human-connection basis. I had bad cabin fever after a couple of weeks. One friend said she'd have come over if I'd called. I didn't call her because she doesn't drive, and she lives quite a distance from me. She said she would have walked over. At any rate, don't be afraid to ask for help and to take advantage of your "invalid" status!

Most importantly, be patient. There are far better things on the other side! I just walked in a two day, 60 kilometre walk in August. I would not have been able to do that pre-surgery! (fusion of big toe joint)

Closed Thread