It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-26-2011, 09:05 PM   #1
(female)

Fortworth82tx HB User
Question Pedicure infection

2 days ago i had a pedicure done and lastnite my big toe was a bit sore and when i woke up it was a bit puffy, red, and sore. So i checked to see if i might have had an ingrown but didnt see anything but a bit of puss came out. Our budject is tight at the moment to try to see a Doc. So i was wondering if there is anything i can do my self at home. Please any info would be much appreciated Thank You!

Old 09-26-2011, 10:24 PM   #2
(female)

weaver02 HB Userweaver02 HB Userweaver02 HB User
Re: Pedicure infection

Vinegar Treatment for Toenail Infection

Treatment for toenail infection is required as symptoms of toenail fungus cause pain and discomfort. Treatment is usually done by following certain home remedies and sometimes medications (if necessary). Among the natural remedies of toenail infection, use of vinegar is one of the effective ways that has been followed by many people. The following info deals with uses of vinegar for toenail fungus treatment.

Vinegar is a dilute acetic acid produced from the oxidation of any liquid containing alcohol. Vinegar's acidic nature helps to kill fungi and bacteria that cause infection. Vinegar is proven to be effective in many cases of toenail infection. However, studies have found out that it is more beneficial in the beginning phases of toenail infection.

One way of using vinegar is by mixing it with water. Mix one cup of pure vinegar with two parts of lukewarm water. Soak the infected nail in this solution for about 20 minutes. Follow this method twice daily (morning and evening). It is recommended to clean hands and feet before and after using the treatment method. Also, make sure that feet and nails are dried, so as to prevent the spread of fungus infection.

Another method is to wipe the infected nails with cotton soaked in a mixture of equal amounts of vinegar and hydrogen peroxide or plain vinegar. One can also put two drops of the above mixture or vinegar in the infected nails with the help of a dropper. Following this twice per day will help in curing nail infection. As the infected nail grows, it is advisable to trim as short as possible until the affected part of the nail disappears.

Some people have claimed that drinking of apple cider vinegar speeds up the healing process. The recommended dose is two tablespoons of pure apple cider vinegar taken thrice daily. Before taking vinegar, it is advisable to seek advice of a physician as it may have certain side effects.

The major drawback of using vinegar in the treatment of toenail infection is that it needs around four to six months for effective results. Also, results may vary from one person to another depending upon advancement of the fungus in the nails. One can use any type of pure vinegar, but it is recommended to use apple cider vinegar and white vinegar (if possible) as they are known to be more helpful in curing toenail fungus.

Hope this helps

But you really should see a doctor, it can get worse.

Hysterectomy
Appendectomy
Cholecystectomy
Sinus surgery
Tonsillectomy

The Following User Says Thank You to weaver02 For This Useful Post:
Fortworth82tx (09-26-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-26-2011, 11:19 PM   #3
(female)

Fortworth82tx HB User

Thank you for the info! have a blessed day

Old 09-27-2011, 12:55 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Northwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB User

Fortworth82tx have you let the person who did the pedicure know you have an infection? They need to know about it too.

I had a mild infection after a pedicure and soaked my foot in hot water with epsom salts. That helped. The vinegar idea is good too.

Old 09-27-2011, 01:07 PM   #5
(female)

PinkEarthMama HB User

Warm water with a capful of bleach was recommended when my son had staph, soak for 10 min 2x a day.

Old 09-27-2011, 03:33 PM   #6
(female)

Nicole K HB UserNicole K HB UserNicole K HB UserNicole K HB User

You could also try tree tea oil...it is a very effective anti-bacterial and anti-fungal remedy. It sounds like what you have is bacterial, and not fungal...hence the redness and puss.

Fungus in the toenails turns them yellow, brittle, thick (very hard to cut) and sometimes they fall right off. This is not what you have by the sound of it.

Also, def. let the salon know and I wouldn't be going back to them anytime soon...who knows who else this has happened to..

Always be weary of these salons and their sterilization/cleaning techniques of equipment. These infections could be deadly if not treated. If not better in a day or two, def. go see the DR, ASAP.

We do not get charged for seeing a DR for something like that here in Canada...thank goodness!

Closed Thread