It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-07-2011, 02:06 PM   #1
(female)

anotherpatty HB Useranotherpatty HB Useranotherpatty HB Useranotherpatty HB User
Alcohol shots neuromas

If anyone has had alcohol shots for Morton's neuromas I'd like to know your experience with that. How many shots did you have and was it successful, etc. Thanks

Old 10-07-2011, 05:10 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: Alcohol shots neuromas

I previously helped moderate a board for a podiatrist. His limit was 3 alcohol injections. He would not do cortisone ones at all. If after three the alcohol had not worked then he recommended surgerical removal.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-07-2011, 05:52 PM   #3
(female)

anotherpatty HB Useranotherpatty HB Useranotherpatty HB Useranotherpatty HB User

Okay - thanks

Old 10-07-2011, 10:50 PM   #4
(male)

j9879 HB Userj9879 HB Userj9879 HB Userj9879 HB Userj9879 HB Userj9879 HB Userj9879 HB User

The standard series of injections for alcohol sclerosing injections of a neuroma is around 6. If someone is stopping injections after 3, they are doing it wrong. Of all the physicians performing alcohol injections for neuromas you will find less than 1% give fewer than 5 injections. So don't expect to get 3 injections because nobody really does it that way.

Old 10-08-2011, 06:18 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

Dancinboots HB UserDancinboots HB UserDancinboots HB UserDancinboots HB User

I had about 4 or 5 sclerosing alcohol injections and they didn't help at all. Then I had neuroma surgery in 2008 and sorry to say that didn't help either. I am still having terrible nerve issues and discomfort on ball of foot and my toes 3 1/2 years later. Have tried everyone and everything I can think of to get some help. I could write a book on what I have tried. Hope you have better success than I did. Some do, it just wasn't me.

Last edited by Dancinboots; 10-08-2011 at 06:22 AM.

Old 10-08-2011, 06:31 AM   #6
(female)

Dancinboots and others

Did you have the neuroma surgery from under the foot (after the alcohol injections)? Whether it was from top of bottom the foot - did they say the nerve was very thinned out? I heard that happens after the alcohol injections. I've had surgery twice from the top and each time I've gotten worse. Now it's so bad they might go from under the foot.
Thanks

Old 10-08-2011, 07:19 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

Patty

I had it done from under the foot and it was after the injections. I have been told that I have some loss of fat pad. It's most likely caused from the injections. What kind of bad feeling are you experiencing in your foot? I am scared to death of another surgery. I was much better off before I had the surgery. Does your doc suspect a stump neuroma?

Old 10-08-2011, 09:39 AM   #8
(female)

Dancinboots and others

Thanks for writing. My sensations from the stump neuroma are as follows:
crampy (this is the worst of it)
can hardly wear a shoe on it - only for short times
sometimes weak feeling in it - often can only get down one aisle in the supermarket. Yet, once I'm walking on gravel outside if it's also hot out I can sometimes walk 1/4/ to 1/2 mile. I have not been able to drive for five years due to it being on my right foot - it pulls and tugs. The It's really a tugging and pulling and cramping feeling.
Please tell me more about your experience with the surgery from under the foot. Did they tuck the nerve? Did it cause new, yet still as bad, sensations? Do you have an uncomfortable scar on the bottom of your foot? I have zero fat pad they told me Thanks so much.

Old 10-08-2011, 01:01 PM   #9
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

I - and my mother both had ours removed from the top. My surgeon does it that way unless there is some reason to do otherwise. Any subsequent procedures there, he then does from the bottom. We thought at one time mine might have shifted due to 2 injuries. If the orthotics had not shifted it back, then he would have gone in from the bottom to wrap it in teflon to it wouldn't rub any more. Luckily the orthotics worked and all is well now. I had mine removed 10 years ago.

Old 10-09-2011, 05:58 AM   #10
Veteran
(female)

Sorry for double post. Don't know how that happened. As far as I know they tucked the nerve. Before the surgery I was experiencing a bunched up sock feeling in my foot (not really pain) I did have the clicking sound in my foot when my pod examined my foot and it was determined that it was a neuroma.

After the surgery I still was feeling about the same feeling in my foot and I was told it would take up to a year for things to "settle down" It didn't happen. It only got worse. I understand that some numbness was to be expected in the toes and I could live with that, but not only do I have the numbness in the toes, right on the ball of my foot underneath where the incision was made on the top of foot it feels like I'm walking on sandpaper or broken up seashells all the time.

When I push on my foot from the top where the incision was and the bottom right underneath it hurts a little. I was also told once that perhaps it was scar tissue rubbing up against a nerve. So many have told me all these "could be's" but not one person has been able to help me resolve this problem. What's wrong with these "top docs"?

Last edited by Dancinboots; 10-09-2011 at 06:00 AM.

Old 10-09-2011, 06:31 AM   #11
(female)

Thanks for writing. I have heard about the numbness under the foot and in the arch area and that does concern me. It is like trading one bad set of symptoms for another. Does the scar on the bottom feel lumpy when you walk on it? Can you drive? Mine is so bad I can't even stand in line to buy something. I have that bunched up feeling too- especially when my shoes are on. Can you wear socks and shoes for awhile? I can't wear socks anymore with shoes on. The worst part to me if the pulling and tugging and also that bunched up feeling. Thanks

The following user gives a hug of support to anotherpatty:
Dancinboots (10-10-2011)
Old 10-10-2011, 06:13 AM   #12
Veteran
(female)

No the scar tissue doesn't feel lumpy. Yes, I can drive since the surgery was done on the left foot. About the only shoes I can wear are pricey athletic shoes along with my custom orthotics and gel pads. No more pretty shoes for me.

I have to wear shoes with good support and the most cushioning and even with all that I can still feel the terrible bunched up sock, feels like I am walking on course sandpaper feeling. So hard to make anyone understand our feelings and what we are going through.

I did purchase a couple pairs of thorlo thick cushion walking socks that do give me a little extra padding. Only problem is I can only wear them with my slippers in the house. They do not work in my shoes since they are thickly padded. I will never give up looking for a solution. We can't give up hope. I have been reading about foot reflexology and wondering if I should give that a shot. If anyone has tried it, I would love to hear your thoughts on it. Keep posting Patty. I am hoping and praying we can find some answers.

Last edited by Dancinboots; 10-10-2011 at 06:15 AM.

Old 10-10-2011, 12:31 PM   #13
(female)

Thanks for the info Dancinboots and others

Yes - I had tried reflexology - actually before I had any surgeries - but it did not help. Yes, we must not give up hope! Thanks - Patty

Old 10-11-2011, 08:49 AM   #14
(male)

killneuroma HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancinboots View Post
Patty

I had it done from under the foot and it was after the injections. I have been told that I have some loss of fat pad. It's most likely caused from the injections. What kind of bad feeling are you experiencing in your foot? I am scared to death of another surgery. I was much better off before I had the surgery. Does your doc suspect a stump neuroma?

Hi,
May I ask you a question?
You said you have lost some fat pad because of injections.
Did you have any cortisone injections?
I've had one cortisone and two alcohol injections between second interspaced and two alcohol injections between third interspaced. I can not stand or walk barefoot, I have feeling (pain) like a stick is stuck across the ball of my feet. I've seen podiatrists and foot orthor. doctors. I have thin fat pad but they never said I've lost fat pad from injections also, neuroma is causing pain not thin fat pad. I do not have feeling of numb nor shooting pain nor squeezing pain nor clicking sound. My MRI with high intensity do not shows neuroma (twice) but utrasound shows them (size of more than 1.3mm). Some doctors wondered if nuroma is that big, should've seen in the MRI. Well, my main question is, did your doctor tell you that you have lost fat pad because of ALCOHOL INJECTIONS or from CORTISONE INJECTIONS?
Thank you.

Old 10-11-2011, 02:33 PM   #15
(female)

Yes, they think it's a stump neuroma. It's been a problem for six years and getting worse. If I could go back in time, I would not have done any surgeries. My surgeons were great, it's just that I think the side effects of the surgery - in many cases - are worse than the original neuroma. I'm afraid of another surgery too - I have been putting it off for six years - but now I may have to do it next Spring - it's getting very difficult to walk with it. I can't wear my socks at all in my shoes - too crampy. I can't wear shoes alone for too long either and I can't drive. I just saw the orthopedic today - he said surgery is a gamble -don't know what to do. Thanks for writing. I had one alcohol shot about 4 years ago - but I reacted quite bad to it initially and the top of my foot changed in terms of the skin. Yet, even one shot, in some ways tempoarily helped a wee bit - but now it feels worse in the long run.

Closed Thread