It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-11-2011, 04:19 AM   #16
(female)

kindredsprit HB Userkindredsprit HB Userkindredsprit HB Userkindredsprit HB User
Re: 2 Week count down to PTTD Surgery--Petrified Need imput

I couldn't do crutches either and I had been working on upper body strength for months leading up to the surgery--but I'm not in great shape anyway. The knee walker has been a blessing. I would recommend getting one before surgery and making sure it can get around your house--I initially had one that was too wide. Also, I agree about practicing getting up on one leg. That was very hard for me in the beginning. And be sure to try many different seats. One of my couches is still challenging for me to get out of.

Good, good luck!

Old 10-11-2011, 05:58 AM   #17
(female)

Upside HB UserUpside HB UserUpside HB User

oooooo good idea about the weight...and practicing getting up with one foot. Thank you!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-11-2011, 06:20 AM   #18
(female)

kindredsprit HB Userkindredsprit HB Userkindredsprit HB Userkindredsprit HB User

Hey Upside,
Where are you having your surgery? I actually came up to Baltimore (Mercy Medical) for mine.

Old 10-12-2011, 09:22 AM   #19
(female)

Yes, Mercy too!

Old 10-12-2011, 09:23 AM   #20
(female)

Getting rental knee walker asap. Didn't even think I would need to practice for that too. Thank God for this forum and thank you all for answering my questions.

Old 10-14-2011, 05:47 PM   #21
(female)

gramattheshore HB User

I had pttd surgery for a completely torn tendon 6 months ago. Everyone here is right; you cannot prepare too much. I too made sure everything I could possibly want and need was close by. I had to be off the foot completely the 10 days I had to wait for surgery so I had time to build up my strength before surgery. Knee walker hurt my knee too much so I had actually sat on padded seat (I got one with a nice size padded seat instead of the "skinny" on with just enough room for your knee). Wheel chair did not fit very well in the bathroom so most days I would transfer from wheel chair to sitting on the knee walker then scoot over to the commode. I was given "sedation" before the block and I was really happy about that. I did have a backache the second day and called my doc and problem was solved with muscle relaxer. The pain meds made me nauseated so she gave me meds to fight that also. I ate a lot of Saltene crackers and graham crackers to keep something on my stomach and that helped with the nausea also. And as someone else said, the pain meds definitely cause constipation so prepare for that as soon as you get home. Maybe talk to your doc about something mild to take (it is impossible to get to the bathroom quickly.) Also, I bought a cast cover so I could take a shower, a shower chair to transfer from wheelchair to shower, and elevated potty seat. My hubby also installed a very strong bar on the wall right next to the commode. With the vanity on my left and the bar on the right, I was at least able to lift myself and swivel back into the wheelchair or walker seat. Yes, it was frustrating and seemed like it would take forever but it will pass. I agree that these boards made it much, much easier....at least you know what is "normal" to expect, although every case is a little different. Good luck and don't be afraid to call your doc any time you need to do so. Keep in touch.

Old 10-18-2011, 09:31 AM   #22
(female)

A under a week until Peg Leg status....I feel like I am forgetting something to do...I guess the panic and fear are settling in on my brain. Thank you all for input and support. It really does help!!

Old 10-20-2011, 05:32 PM   #23
(female)

Surgery called this am Due in @5:45 Monday, yikes!! And they gave me a dilaudid RX...did anyone else have this?

Old 10-21-2011, 05:15 PM   #24
Senior Veteran
(female)

roxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB User

Good luck with your surgery. I am now 16 months post op and doing well. Hang in there, follow the post op directions and be sure to rest rest rest, ice and elevate. Be sure that you take the pain meds to stay ahead of your pain

The Following User Says Thank You to roxygirl1 For This Useful Post:
Upside (10-21-2011)
Old 10-21-2011, 05:39 PM   #25
(female)

Dancing all day on my 2 feet! Panic has set in but I know it HAS to be done so no chickening out! Thanks for the well wishes!

The following user gives a hug of support to Upside:
Zoeys Grammy (10-22-2011)
Old 10-22-2011, 01:49 PM   #26
(female)

Zoeys Grammy HB UserZoeys Grammy HB UserZoeys Grammy HB UserZoeys Grammy HB User

Hi,

My tendon was torn. I had a post tibial tendon transfer & a subtalar fusion just 4 1/2 months ago. Good luck to you! You'll do great! Keep us posted.
Hugs, Zoeys Grammy

Old 10-22-2011, 10:55 PM   #27
Veteran
(female)

velvetrain HB Uservelvetrain HB Uservelvetrain HB Uservelvetrain HB Uservelvetrain HB Uservelvetrain HB Uservelvetrain HB Uservelvetrain HB Uservelvetrain HB Uservelvetrain HB User

Well I am seven months out from the procedure and not pain free. Ugh. I am confident though at some point I will be. All my pain now is at the back of my heel and occasionally in my heelchord and along my incisions. I do feel close to 80% better now than I did before surgerey where my quality of life was horrible as I was always in pain.

Look at the surgerey as a means to an end. You won't remember a thing about being in surgerey if you are under general anesthesia so it's nothing to be afraid of. I had a very nice nap during it and gradually woke after the procedure complaining my heel hurt and asked for the popliteal block which I requested before I went under. You will be fine.

Looking back in hindsight the surgerey ain't nothing. It's the recoverey period afterward that is frightening and frustrating. It will make you a stronger person mentally and physically. I don't ever want to go through it again.

Last edited by velvetrain; 10-22-2011 at 11:03 PM.

Old 10-23-2011, 04:42 AM   #28
Senior Veteran
(female)

Missyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB User

Good luck. I was also scared to death before I had surgery - it was my first! If you have a nerve block, you will not feel anything post-op for a while. Just remember to stay ahead of the pain and I can't say enough - elevate, elevate and ice your foot. My surgery was 14 mths ago and the parts of my foot do not bother me at all. I am, however, having surgery next month on my peroneal tendon due to a work accident. Will you be staying in the hospital for observation? Keep us posted.

Last edited by Missyluke; 10-23-2011 at 04:49 AM.

Old 10-23-2011, 07:10 AM   #29
(female)

I am scheduled for oupatient...I am more afraid of MERSA than pain. Even though I so want to chicken out, I know I can't live with this pain for the rest of my life. Every stinking night my foot is throbbing and waking me up. I am trying to stay positive and realize I am a 45 year old and not the frightened 4 year old I think I am. Will keep all posted...Leaving for hotel now...5:45a.m. pre-op time. Prayers are WELCOME. Thank you all for your help and feedback!! xoxo

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: Upside
London Chap (10-23-2011), music47 (10-25-2011)
Old 10-24-2011, 10:09 PM   #30
(male)

dubpt HB Userdubpt HB User

Upside,

I hope your surgery went well and that your recovery process goes smoothly.

I will be starting this flatfoot reconstruction surgery journey myself next week on 11/1/11 and hoping the date brings me good luck. My surgery will include the posterior calcaneal osteotomy, gastroc recession, and likely tmt (midfoot) fusion. I work in the medical field and have researched this surgical decision exhaustively and have found a good surgeon to entrust my care. I am really looking forward to gaining back my mobility with recreational pursuits and work, with the ability to chase after my 6 month old twin boys, once recovered, with greater ease than possible currently.

Closed Thread