It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-25-2011, 09:01 PM   #31
Senior Veteran
(female)

music47 HB User
Re: 2 Week count down to PTTD Surgery--Petrified Need imput

Upside
My prayers are with you. I had ankle fusion in 2004 and still have pain. Hang in there.

Nadine

Old 10-26-2011, 05:57 AM   #32
(female)

Upside HB UserUpside HB UserUpside HB User

Well...Day 3 and I am finally feeling a little relief from the excruciating pain on Day 1. The nerve block did not take. I had to be admitted into the hospital where I basically was unattended to and cried all night from the Pain. The pain pump didn't work either. Thankful to have my husband by my side the whole night in the hospital as the nurse they gave me was incompetent. I am totally second guessing this procedure. I realize I have to wait 3-4 months to make a judgement on this surgery but today...no way would I do it again. Thanks for all your prayers and well wishes !

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-26-2011, 05:12 PM   #33
Senior Veteran
(female)

Missyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB User

I am so sorry the recovery has been so awful for you. I can not even imagine the pain you had to endure. Very happy to hear it is going a little better. After a few months when things really improve, hopefully you will be grateful for having the surgery. For now, keep your foot elevated, I mean really elevated and iced to help with swelling. Keep taking the pain pills and try to stay ahead of the pain. Good luck with your recovery.

The Following User Says Thank You to Missyluke For This Useful Post:
Upside (10-27-2011)
Old 10-27-2011, 09:18 AM   #34
(female)

buffalobelle HB User

I didn't feel a thing. Again, if you have good healthcare professionals, it makes all the difference in the world. Be confident in your doctor and the surgical team that is taking care of you.

Old 10-27-2011, 09:58 AM   #35
(female)

Buffalobelle-You didn't have any pain at all?? Post op pain? I can't believe that...my doc told me that the meds would not totally eliminate the pain but would take the edge off. I was recommended to the doc I chose and the hospital by a woman who had the same surgery 3 years ago. I was fully confident in the Dr. However, the whole experience has been horrific...Over a week to get questions answered. Pre-op fishing for veins, Post-op push out within an hour of awaking...Nerve Block Failure....Incompetent Floor Nurse....I could go on an on...
I don't know the "surgical team"...and no one ever took care of me. The post-op staff pushed me out the door and then when I came back due to severe pain, acted as though it was a hassle to take me back because I had been "discharged". The only thing I am confident about at this point is....Never would I recommend this Foot and Ankle Hospital to anyone.

Old 10-27-2011, 10:00 AM   #36
(female)

How am I icing? I have a big white splint on my foot...so don't know how I can ice?

Old 10-27-2011, 11:19 AM   #37
(male)

London Chap HB UserLondon Chap HB UserLondon Chap HB User

I'm not sure about your procedure but my split was a slab cast around the ankle and sole of my foot but was basically padded bandages over the top of the foot. If yours is like that then you can apply an ice pack to the top of the foot.

I was lucky with my op. I had a nerve block and a general and very little discomfort at all after the op. My painkilling regime was to take two paracetamol every four hours and two anti-inflamatories every four hours but starting two hours after the paracetamol. I'm sure you've been told this but keeping the foot elevated (preferably above the level of the heart) is very good at relieving inflamation and pain.

I hope you feel better soon.

Old 10-27-2011, 07:19 PM   #38
(female)

lola456 HB Userlola456 HB Userlola456 HB User

My splint was similar to LondonChap's thus I focused my ice packs on the face of the foot/leg. Nonetheless, I also wrapped ice bags around the ankle part as well (I used an old ace bandage to hold them onto the leg). Supposedly, even though you can't feel it, the cold does penetrate.
Ice behind the knee is supposed to help cool the blood on the way to the foot as well.

Sorry to hear about your miserable time so far. Mine was pretty dismal as well, but I was fortunate enough to be admitted post-op instead of discharged. A few of the nurses I had were pretty awful as well, but others were so wonderful..that makes all the difference in the world!

Last edited by lola456; 10-27-2011 at 07:31 PM.

The Following User Says Thank You to lola456 For This Useful Post:
Upside (10-28-2011)
Old 10-28-2011, 06:33 AM   #39
(female)

So, now I have had an allergic reaction to the antibiotic Clindamycin. The Pharmacist told me to call the prescribing doctor which is the ortho, the ortho told me to call my primary care, the primary care told me to go to the ER...
Symptoms include, rash, difficulty swallowing, and difficulty urinating.
What else could happen????

The following user gives a hug of support to Upside:
lola456 (10-28-2011)
Old 10-28-2011, 07:44 PM   #40
(male)

dubpt HB Userdubpt HB User

Upside,

I am sorry to hear of your post-operative experience thus far. It's unfortunate you are starting on the process of recovery under challenging circumstances.

As I am preparing to have my flatfoot reconstruction surgery this upcoming Tuesday, I will be having a 2 day stay at the hospital after the surgery as recommended by my surgeon. Did your doctor discuss with you before the surgery why you were going to have this procedure as a day-surgery vs becoming an inpatient at the hospital? I have heard from others how the nerve blocks do not always work, making the post-op experience more difficult to manage the pain and being an inpatient in the hospital will be a comfort for me if my nerve blocks are ineffective.

Being only a week apart with our surgeries hopefully we can see steady progress throughout these next few challenging months.

Old 10-29-2011, 02:08 AM   #41
(female)

If I had to do it over again, I would definitely stay in the hospital at least overnight! The day after my surgery when I got the obligatory 2 minute visit from my Dr., I asked him why a surgery of this type was outpatient? He proceeded to tell me that 99% of patients can handle it and that I had myself so worked up before the surgery he believes thats why I couldn't handle it....so It was my fault the nerve block didn't take I guess.
And basically this was the feeling I got from everyone from PACU to the floor nurses...that I was a big PITA (pain in the a**) and to" just deal with it." So no nerve block AND basically no IV pain pump, as who knows how long my IV was out of my hand just draining into the sheets on the bed. By the time I realized it, it was 5:30 am.

Last edited by Upside; 10-29-2011 at 04:54 AM.

Old 10-29-2011, 09:36 AM   #42
(female)

swimbunnie HB Userswimbunnie HB Userswimbunnie HB Userswimbunnie HB Userswimbunnie HB Userswimbunnie HB Userswimbunnie HB User

Wow, sorry to hear of your experience. I spent three nights at hospital, two expected right at the start by my surgeon b/c of his knowledge of pain after this surgery. One extra day to get on top of it particularly due to the fact that I lived alone. Pain can be subjective in some respects but it sounds like your surgeon is an unsympathetic clout. Good luck with your continuing recovery.

Old 10-29-2011, 11:39 AM   #43
(female)

My doc frightened me over MRSA more so than the pain. So I was so concerned with that. I didn't realize that when the pain level was a 12 who would care about MRSA?
I would demand to stay overnight in advance. Or at least get a Plan B if the nerve block didn't take. I knew it didn't take within an hour in the PACU.

Old 10-29-2011, 01:54 PM   #44
(female)

lola456 HB Userlola456 HB Userlola456 HB User

I'm surprised the surgeon didn't even have you scheduled to stick around for a while post-op to make sure all was well..
Though like swimbunnie, I too ended up staying 3 days (which is longer than most), the two surgeons I was debating between both have their patients stay overnight. I went into it thinking 'bah, I'll be fine...cut me up and send me home!..I don't need to stay overnight!' but was of course quite wrong. Regardless, their approach was that if I felt up for it, I could leave post-op, but they planned on me staying the night..

As for the nerve block, my anesthesiologist warned me before my surgery that sometimes it just doesn't work (granted he warned me of this 5 min before! ) and unfortunately there is no way to know in advance if it will take or not...There was nothing about it being the person's fault..It was simply that some times it doesn't work as desired.
Additionally, when part of my block failed, my doctor said that the area that hurt was the hardest to cover and the spot he did the most work - he too said nothing even vaguely insinuating that if I weren't anxious about the surgery it would have worked fine..

I think swimbunnie hit it - "it sounds like your surgeon is an unsympathetic clout"

Old 10-29-2011, 02:30 PM   #45
Senior Veteran
(female)

roxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB User

It is ashame that your doctor was so uncaring. I find it amazing that some doctors to this surgery outpatient while others routinely have their patients stay two to three days. I wonder if insurance is the real reason for their decision?

Prior to surgery, my doctor told me to expect to be in the hospital three nights, possibly four if bone is harvested from the hip. I had no complications and stayed three nights. I am so thankful that I did stay. I was on an IV pump that I could control and offered oral meds for breakthrough pain. The second day, I started to get horrible muscles spasms which reduced me to tears during the evening. Within fifteen minutes the pain management doctor was in my room and gave me medication to ease the spasms. The doctor gave me the choice of staying one extra night but by day four, I finally felt well enough to go home. I had to demonstrate to the pt that I was able to get around NWB using a walker and knee walker as well as go up and down steps on my tush before the doctor signed release papers. Once home, I was instructed to stay ahead of the pain. I took the max dose of rx pain meds for two or three days and then started to wean off the meds. By about two weeks post op, I only took pain meds right before bedtime. Now I am about 16 months post op and am so happy that I had the surgery. Prior to surgery, I was in agony walking from room to room in my house. Now, I am able to put in a full day at work and then do errands afterwards. Weather permitting, I am able to take a walk with my husband. I can walk over a mile as long as the ground is reasonaby even without any problem at all. Things will get better. The first few weeks are definitely difficult and frustrating. Unfortunately you have an unsympathetic doctor also. Hopefully things will start to improve soon.

The Following User Says Thank You to roxygirl1 For This Useful Post:
Upside (10-29-2011)
Closed Thread