It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-09-2011, 04:03 PM   #1
(female)

Upside HB UserUpside HB UserUpside HB User
2 Week count down to PTTD Surgery--Petrified Need imput

I am reading that you are awake during the nerve block and it is painful..I don't want to be awake. Can anyone tell me if this is true? I am so scared and chickening out the more I read this kind of stuff.

The following user gives a hug of support to Upside:
music47 (10-25-2011)
Old 10-09-2011, 05:30 PM   #2
(female)

lightstepper HB Userlightstepper HB Userlightstepper HB Userlightstepper HB Userlightstepper HB Userlightstepper HB User
Re: 2 Week count down to PTTD Surgery--Petrified Need imput

Yes, I was awake. Yes, it was a little painful, but it is over quick. They inject something (novocaine?) into the nerve, but they have to find the nerve on the back of your leg in your calf first, so they have to poke around a little. Took about 5 minutes if that. The benefits out weigh the pain for sure, though. It kept me nice and comfy for about 2 days after surgery. It is really nothing in the grand scheme of this surgery. They may even give you something to "relax" you before you have it. Don't sweat it. Really.

Deep breath...

The Following User Says Thank You to lightstepper For This Useful Post:
Upside (10-10-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-09-2011, 05:52 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

roxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB User

I am 15 months post op and am so happy that I had the surgery done. I am able to get around pain free now. Good luck

The Following User Says Thank You to roxygirl1 For This Useful Post:
Upside (10-10-2011)
Old 10-09-2011, 06:03 PM   #4
(female)

Zoeys Grammy HB UserZoeys Grammy HB UserZoeys Grammy HB UserZoeys Grammy HB User

Hi,

I had a block. I had no pain doing surgery and the block lasted for several hours. I began taking pain pills (percocet) as soon as I felt the block wearing off. I did not remember surgery; having had something similiar to a twilight sleep.

My surgery was 4 months ago...talk to your surgeon about this. Call the doctors office & speak to his nurse or physicians assistant; regarding your fears. Good luck to you.

Zoeys Grammy

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Zoeys Grammy For This Useful Post:
Hurtfoot (10-09-2011), Upside (10-10-2011)
Old 10-09-2011, 07:31 PM   #5
(female)

lola456 HB Userlola456 HB Userlola456 HB User

Mine didn't hurt.

The anesthesiologist spent a minute or so finding the proper nerve (there perhaps was a pinch for that) - and when he found the nerve, it felt weird as it made my foot jump around on its own. But the block itself didn't hurt at all...I wouldn't have even known he did it were it not for the fact that my foot started feeling like it had gone to the dentist.

He also gave me something before looking for the nerve that made the world a happy, calm place. Though it was a hypnotic/benzo and thus not a pain killer, the fact that I wasn't full of anticipatory anxiety probably helped lessen any potential pain as well.

As I discovered when I woke, my block didn't work as intended. However, based on what I experienced, even if getting the block were painful, I would definitely do it again in an attempt to ease the post-op hit.

All that said, I just had my surgery on Sep.21st so I can't yet say if it was a good decision or not. I can however say that I was terrified of surgery in general, anesthesia, waking during surgery, etc...and it actually was a very smooth process...
I went in, got an iv (which was painful), answered questions...saw the doctor & anesthesiologist...got the happy, calm injection in the iv...he did the nerve block..put a mask on my face and had me take a few deep breaths...and then i woke in the recovery room (or at least that's where my memory of the process begins).

Good luck!!

The Following User Says Thank You to lola456 For This Useful Post:
Upside (10-10-2011)
Old 10-10-2011, 01:31 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Missyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB User

I was a 17 hour nerve block and am very grateful for it. I was given versed and another drug (can't remember what the other drug was) and I do not remember any part of getting the nerve block. From the time I was given the medication, I really do not remember much until after the surgery. The only thing I remember is being in the OR and being told to take a couple of breaths from the mask.

The Following User Says Thank You to Missyluke For This Useful Post:
Upside (10-10-2011)
Old 10-10-2011, 04:36 AM   #7
(female)

Ok, I am going to email the doc today regarding the nerve block...I admittedly am the biggest chicken on the planet. With regards to the IV...did it go in your hand or arm? The hand looks more painful. Did anyone get a temporary handicap permit. My husband travels a lot so I am home alone...I feel like I will need it to get around?? Did anyone get Heparin shots post-op...it looks like a long needle..does it have to go all the way into the skin...or can it go half way then inject? What pain meds did you all get...I have been give oxycodone which barely touches the pre-op pain I have at night. Is there anything else?? Thank you replying to my questions...I so appreciate it!!!

Old 10-10-2011, 05:33 AM   #8
(female)

kindredsprit HB Userkindredsprit HB Userkindredsprit HB Userkindredsprit HB User

Hi,
My doctor actually waited until I was put to sleep before giving my the block and then he turned down the general. Check with your doctor rather than worrying. I am almost 5 weeks out and worked hard to be relaxed (as best I could) before the surgery! It was not as bad as I had imagined. BTW, I had a calc ostetomy, tendon transfer, & lateral column lengthening.
Take care--my thoughts are with you!

The Following User Says Thank You to kindredsprit For This Useful Post:
Upside (10-10-2011)
Old 10-10-2011, 06:04 AM   #9
(female)

@kindred...thank you! I have been worrying myself sick. I am trying to stay calm but that only works for an hour or two then I am back worrying. I just want them to wheel me into the OR, already knocked out! Or better yet, knock me out before I get to the pre-op stuff. I asked for an anxiety med before I get to hospital and the doc looked at me like I had 4 heads, then said "after you sign the paperwork you will be given something" I said, " I will sign the paperwork now" He just laughed at me and went into the next patient room!...

Old 10-10-2011, 06:40 AM   #10
(female)

kindredsprit HB Userkindredsprit HB Userkindredsprit HB Userkindredsprit HB User

I thought they could give you something to help you relax before you arrived at the hospital--maybe not this early... ;-)

However, you are not alone. The guy in the bed next to me was hyperventilating. I was lucky because I had experience with yoga and meditation so whenever I would start to get stressed out, I would go into my yoga breathing--it really helped me.

I spent my last 2 weeks, as suggested by others on this site, getting my house ready. That also helped me focus on doing and less on thinking!

The Following User Says Thank You to kindredsprit For This Useful Post:
Upside (10-10-2011)
Old 10-10-2011, 09:07 AM   #11
(female)

lightstepper HB Userlightstepper HB Userlightstepper HB Userlightstepper HB Userlightstepper HB Userlightstepper HB User

I also focused on getting ready to leave my work and getting my house ready. By the time I was done with that I was in so much pain I was READY for them to fix me.

I found meditation and deep breathing to be very helpful with anxiety as well.

Old 10-10-2011, 02:38 PM   #12
(female)

>I admittedly am the biggest chicken on the planet.
I offer good competition for that position!! If there was something to worry about with this surgery, I did!

>With regards to the IV...did it go in your hand or arm?
Mine was in the hand. It was painful, but the pain didn't last long. Once they swapped the needle for the tube, my hand felt fine. And...it's where the post-op morphine comes from if needed, so, I'd say it's worth it

>Did anyone get a temporary handicap permit...I feel like I will need it to get around??
I haven't yet but I read that others did. My surgery is on my right foot, so I can't drive for a long, long time. But even if it were on my left, I still don't think I'd be going anywhere any time soon. The very act of having my foot down and thus having the blood rushing into it....at 2.5weeks out, I definitely couldn't sit in a car in that position for more than a minute or two. And for the first two weeks, my 'getting around' was moving between the couch, bathroom, and bed.

>Did anyone get Heparin shots post-op...
I have no history of clots, so I was just told to do an aspirin a day for a month.

> What pain meds did you all get...
In the hospital, I had oxycontin and oxycodone (oral) and iv morphine & toradol. (Again, my nerve block didn't work as desired.) It wasn't enough (see nerve block issues ) and my nerves were hyper-excited, so the dose was upped...I then had a massive migraine and was throwing up so I was switched to dilaudid, oxycontin, ibuprofen, acetominophen, iv morphine...
I was discharged with all but the iv morphine and have since weened off the oxycontin. I am currently taking dilaudid, ibuprofen, acetominophen, neurontin (for my nerves) with the intention of weening fully off the dilaudid in the next 1.5 weeks.

>Is there anything else??
I'm not sure if you've prepared for the weeks of being no-weight-bearing? I did a lot of pre-surgery prep and thus after surgery, i had my pillows, ice packs, and rolling drawers of stuff all in one spot and ready to go..so there was no last minute i need x, y,z..or how will i do this and get that !?!? my books, remotes, phone, laptop, snacks, pills, liquids, crafts, pillows, blankets, etc were all right where i needed them.

Two things i learned so far:
1 - if you have an allergy to costume jewelry, you are probably allergic to nickel...surgical steel is not pure and is often mixed with metals such as nickel. Thus make sure to get titanium screws
2 - don't underestimate the constipating powers of opiates. You might want to start upping your fiber with psyllium tabs a good week before and perhaps start something such as Miralax the first day post-op..

The Following User Says Thank You to lola456 For This Useful Post:
Upside (10-10-2011)
Old 10-10-2011, 03:24 PM   #13
(female)

Wow @ Lola...thank you for the lengthy reply thank you!
...I so hope all goes smoothly...I can't stand to have nausea and pain makes me nauseous...ugh. Yes, I am getting everything together in the house...and practicing with my crutches (husband asks me why am I practicing?? duh) at this point I am just a sitting chickenshi*.

Old 10-10-2011, 08:23 PM   #14
(female)

I hope it helps...I wouldn't have been 1/100th as prepared as I was were it not for others' posts so I reckon I have some paying back to do! And hey, i'm sitting on my butt right now anyway!

If you're not already, you might want to try adding a 3-5lb ankle weight to your crutch practice.
Before surgery, I toodled around the house with crutches and thought "Bah! I got it, no problem!" but I discovered the weight of the splint (mine was like a plaster cast with spaces in the middle) made a world of difference...As did the fact that for me, whether it's the splint weight or the drugs or the recovery process or ???, after surgery, every little thing is a huge effort. Not just that it takes a lot of extra time, but at first, a trip to the bathroom might as well have been a 5mile hike...
(That part is definitely getting better, but it still is amazing. I 'walked' the dogs with the knee scooter for the first time today and a whopping 6 blocks of me rolling on the scooter left me breathing hard.)

I also forgot to practice getting up from wherever I'd be sitting (or even from flat on my butt) with one foot. I'm not sure if you already have that one covered, but if not, it's definitely one that would have been easier to master before surgery!

One other thing on the pain topic - if you haven't already, it might be worth it to talk to your doctor about what the pain management plan is..As in what will you be taking/will you be taking something that's long-acting? etc. just so you have an idea of what the plan is and are comfortable with it..
For what it's worth, I found that it is *definitely* easier to stay on top of the pain than it is to play catch up with it.

All that said, I hope it goes smoothly for you...you go to the hospital, get a happy drug...and wake in the recovery room a few hours later with no nausea and a thoroughly numb foot (that lasts for many, many hours!)

Last edited by lola456; 10-10-2011 at 08:27 PM.

Old 10-11-2011, 01:19 AM   #15
(female)

I found I couldn't do crutches. A walker worked best for me. And, yes...everything takes sooo much effort after surgery. Just don't be in a hurry to do anything.

Closed Thread