It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-15-2011, 07:12 PM   #1
(male)

Busaman HB User
Ankle OATs Surgery in few days...

Basically ... injured ankle approximately a year ago which resulted in a 14mm lesion and other misc I can't remember ... and ended up having Microfracture Surgery four months later...

Due to NO RELIEF I had a follow up MRI that showed the surgery failed, and how have a 17mm lesion (... don't remember the specifics of the report). My Doctor has recommended OATs surgery using a graft from a cadaver. I'm scheduled to have this done in a few days.

Questions if anyone could please help...

1. I'm assuming this procedure is outpatient? (don't remember doctor saying otherwise)

2. I'm expecting to return to work on "light duty" one week later at a desk position (my leg propped up I'm sure)... What can I expect - considering it's my left ankle and will be able to drive - how much time off at home would someone suggest taking?

HOPING I can get some feedback like REALLY soon ...

Thanks - greatly appreciated.

Old 10-16-2011, 07:14 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

kimberp HB Userkimberp HB Userkimberp HB Userkimberp HB Userkimberp HB Userkimberp HB User
Re: Ankle OATs Surgery in few days...

I had OATS in 2008 but used plugs from my knee. Mine was also my left.

I was in the hospital for 3 nights. The first 2 weeks were pretty intense pain wise so I couldn't see doing anything during at least those first two weeks. (and the pain had nothing to do with my knee, all ankle and tibial osteotomy)

Given you will be in pain, non weight bearing and I don't know how steady you are on crutches, and if on pain meds you won't be able to drive, I think a week is too soon. My suggestion is a minimum of 4 weeks and even that is pushing it.

Good luck with your surgery. It is a tough recovery but I am glad to say that my plugs incorporated well. Just be sure to do your PT when allowed to fend off scar tissue as that was a problem for me afterwards.

The Following User Says Thank You to kimberp For This Useful Post:
Busaman (10-20-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-20-2011, 11:46 AM   #3
(male)

Busaman HB User
Re: Ankle OATs Surgery in few days...

Hello ...

If anyone is monitoring this ... not even sure how to use this post. lol

Well, it's been two days since my left ankle OATs Surgery, and I believe I'm doing quite well. I believe the procedure took about 3 hours, and I was home by 5pm.(outpatient)
Pain has been excruciating at times, but the meds have helped dramatically ... All I'm really doing is taking pain meds and keeping leg elevated. I'm anxious for my post-op appointment - I want to find out all the details, as far as what was seen and done. The only thing I know is that I'll be NWB for six to eight weeks.

I've gathered different results from various patients but am a little concerned for lasting effects. I'm in Law Enforcement and the majority of my work is on my feet ... in rugged terrain, and I do hope I can return to that someday soon.

...just thought I'd share current status. Take care

Closed Thread