It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-25-2011, 08:47 PM   #1
(female)

dance2urheart HB User
Peroneal tendon subluxation surgery-freaking out!

I'm exactly two weeks today from having surgery. I thought I was supposed to be having just a modified brostrom & an ankle scope which would mean 3 weeks in a fiberglass cast NWB, then 3 weeks in a weight bearing cast, than another week or so in a walking boot, then a lace up ankle brace until 12 weeks post-op; however, I found out that my doctor is also planning on performing a peroneal tendon subluxation repair as well- the deepening of the groove version, & I have no idea what that means for healing time. I've been trying to do some research, it appears most people are 6 weeks NWB? Anyone ever had this type of surgery that could offer up some advice? I would greatly appreciate it because I'm a bit panicky right now.

The Following User Says Thank You to dance2urheart For This Useful Post:
maggietaz (10-26-2011)
Old 10-26-2011, 05:51 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

maggietaz HB Usermaggietaz HB Usermaggietaz HB Usermaggietaz HB Usermaggietaz HB Usermaggietaz HB Usermaggietaz HB Usermaggietaz HB User
Re: Peroneal tendon subluxation surgery-freaking out!

I was two weeks non weight bearing, then weight bearing as tolerating to full weight bearing which was for four weeks (in a boot). Then into a lace up brace.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-26-2011, 07:41 PM   #3
(female)

dance2urheart HB User

Thank you so much for replying to me, I greatly appreciate it! It seems that subluxation repairs are few & far between. Everything I was reading online seemed to be pointing to 6weeks NWB, but I was reading a couple things that said 2-4weeks also. Hearing it from a person who actually had it just puts my mind at ease a bit thank you!

Old 02-05-2012, 03:48 PM   #4
(female)

Zufa116 HB User

Hey,

I was just wondering whether you've had the surgery yet, and if so, how you're doing. I had peroneal tendon subluxation surgery on 9.12.11, with retinaculum repair and groove deepening. I was full weight-bearing instantly, and wasn't actually given crutches till the following day. I read a lot about the surgery beforehand, but haven't heard of anyone with instant weight-bearing. I personally felt that this decision was risky, and I fell a couple of times attempting to walk. Furthermore, I did not have a cast, and instead, my foot was bandaged and put straight into an aircast boot.

I am 8 weeks post op and have started PT, but have considerable ankle stiffness although no real pain. Any similar stories?

Old 02-05-2012, 11:55 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB User

I'm definitely interested in your reply too. I will be having peroneal tendon tear repair and subluxation repair with groove deepening along with Brostrom-Gould repair. I have been told 6 wks NWB with 3 in a hard cast and 3 in a boot and then in the boot as I transition to FWB and then later on a lace up ASO. How did it go for you?

Old 02-06-2012, 05:16 PM   #6
(female)

Firelady1 HB UserFirelady1 HB UserFirelady1 HB UserFirelady1 HB User

I have also been diagnosed with sublaxation of both peroneal tendons and will require surgical repair. I am awaiting my referral with the surgeon but considering I have had this injury for the last 18 months after shattering my calcaneous I know the damage will be considerable. I have also not seen alot of information online and am not looking forward to another month and a half in a cast Please let us know how you made out.

Old 08-25-2012, 03:12 PM   #7
(female)

footiefan25 HB User

I am trying to find some more information on peroneal tendon subluxation and was wondering if you guys could help me.

I tore my ATFL and CFL last April and have had pain since and have not been able to run. My peroneal tendon pops in and out when i move my ankle from inversion to eversion and back again. How much did your tendon pop out when it was subluxing? Did it completely dislocate and move over the malleous or did it just click in and out? Mine doesn't move all the way over but it does consistently pop in and out when i move it, it's easier to feel it with your fingers but you can see the tendon move behind the malleous. What other symptoms did you have? I have been to the doctor numerous times and had arthroscopy on my ankle for impingement from the injury but it still feels horrible. I don't want to look like a hypochondriac but I'm fed of the doctors not taking this as seriously as I would like as I want to be to normal asap as the soccer season has begun. I have already had two knee surgeries in my career (first was ACL, and second was meniscus which got stuck between the bones,) so I know a real injury when i have one and hate that it's being brushed off like it's nothing.

If anyone has any info/ symptoms or ways to tell that surgery is definitely necessary that would be great!! Thanks in advance

Old 08-25-2012, 10:08 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB User

Hi! Basically if you can see the tendon popping in and out or over the fibula, you need to get it fixed. If it keeps it up, not only will you have pain (if you don't already from it), but it will wer down the tendon eventually tearing it. I just had surgery for this 6 months ago in Feb. I had my ATL, CFL, and retinaculum repaired along with a torn peroneal tendon repaired and an osteotomy (broke and drilled the bone) for fibular groove deepening for peroneal tendon subluxation. Basically they deepen thr groove it sits in so it won't pop out anymore. In my case, I had a lot of pain in the peroneal area from the tear and the subluxing. Interesting thing is I told my doctor they weren't subluxing because I hadn't noticed it popping in and out or over, etc. When he examined it, he said that yes they were subluxing and put my fingers in place for me to feel it and I did! So all that to say, they can be subluxing when you don't realize it, so if you visibly SEE it, it needs to be fixed! I'm happy to report that I feel my surgery was a success. Obviously being 6 months out, still hard to tell, but I didn't feel this great after my first surgery (which was a failure but didn't involve peroneal stuff). I will admit I still do get pain from time to time, but my doctor said I would until around 9 months out and so I still have 3 more months to go with that. However, it isn't anything like thr pain I had prior to surgery. It feels like soreness and healing from surgery. I've already gone overseas, hiking and zip lining and dog sledding in Alaska, and went on a 3 mile walk at a 3.5mph pace with hills yesterday! I've signed up for my 2nd half marathon (with my doctors permission) in December! I hope this gives you encouragement!!

The Following User Says Thank You to Hollywood48 For This Useful Post:
LabGimp (10-07-2012)
Old 10-16-2012, 10:22 PM   #9
(female)

Newcastlek HB User

Hi I was wondering if anybody has experienced retrofibular intrasheath subluxation, which is the peroneal tendons snapping over each other and subluxing within the sheath?

If so any advise on treatment, such as strengthening, bracing, taping or surgery or other would be much appreciated.

Thank you!

Closed Thread