It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-30-2011, 08:49 AM   #1
(female)

bess0006 HB User
Evans Calcaneal Osteotomy and Ankle Scope

Hello. I have been diagnosed with Osteochandral Defect Ankle and Flat Foot with Torn Postibial Tendon as well as an Accessory Navicular Bone. The Orthopedic Surgeon will do an Ankle Scope and the Evans Calcaneal Osteotomy procedure. This is for my left ankle/foot.

I meet with the surgeon again prior the actual surgery but thought I would check with my peers to see about their experiences.

Last edited by Administrator; 11-14-2011 at 12:30 PM.

Old 10-30-2011, 05:43 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

roxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB User
Re: Evans Calcaneal Osteotomy and Ankle Scope

I am 16 months post op ptt/spring ligament repair, tendon transfer, calcaneal/cotton osteotomies and gastroc recession. My doctor does not perform the surgery outpatient. He routinely keeps his patients in the hospital two to three nights for pain management. I couldn't imagine going home the same day. I took rx narcotics when I got home. I took the max dose for about 5 days and then over the next week, weaned off of all pain meds.

I was non weight bearing 8 weeks followed by 6 or 7 weeks in a boot anytime my foot was on the floor.

Be sure that you get a raised seat to put over the toilet, shower chair, lots of pillows to elevate your foot and look into renting a kneewalker. You will need help for several weeks.

I was out of work 4 months but then again I have an active job. The doctor would have released me for work at about 3 months if my job was sedentary.

I would NOT drive when non weight bearing. How will you safely get in and out of the car without tripping. You will also have a very bulky cast on. Luckily your surgical foot was your left foot so you should be able to drive after 2 months as long as you have an automatic car.

I started pt at about 5 or 6 weeks post op for range of motion NWB.

I am able to wear shoes but I am careful to wear shoes that will provide support and I do not wear heels or pointy toe shoes. The last thinf I want is to damage my "new foot" or have the other foot end up requiring surgery.

I am doing very well now. Prior to surgery, I was in pain after taking 7 or 8 steps and my foot had pancaked. When I stood, my ankle was starting to cave in towards the floor. Now I am able to work all day and then run errands after work with no problem. Honestly, it took close to a year to really start to feel like the surgery was worth it. Now I feel as if it gave me my life back.

Keep in mind that flat foot surgery is complicated, has a long recovery and an overall success rate of 50%. If you use a skilled surgeon who does the proceeduce frequently then the chances of a good outcome are much higher. I would definitely get a second opinion and be sure that your surgeon is very experienced with the surgery. Some surgeons perform a few a year while others do them frequently. My doctor does three or four a week and is actively involved in clinical studies about flat foot reconstruction.

Good luck

The Following User Says Thank You to roxygirl1 For This Useful Post:
bess0006 (10-30-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-30-2011, 06:20 PM   #3
(female)

bess0006 HB User

Thank you!!

Old 10-31-2011, 04:19 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Missyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB User

I am 14 months post op ptt repair, fdl tendon repair, kidner procedure, achielles tendon lengthening and calcaneal osteotomy. My surgeon also believes in keeping his patients in the hospital for one to two nights for pain control. I believe it really helps. I do not think it would have gone so well if surgery was done outpatient.

I was non-weight bearing for 8 weeks then transitioned to walking in a boot for four weeks.

I was out of work for four months. In my work I have to be on my feet all day. At first, I was only allowed to return for eight hour shifts until my foot got stronger. Like Roxygirl, if my job was sedentary I could have returned after three months.

It is illegal in many states to drive regardless of which foot is in a cast. I did not drive until the cast was removed (8 weeks)

I am glad I had surgery and would do it all over again. There is a sticky thread that gives alot a useful information on preparing for foot surgery. Be sure to read it - it will help you prepare for surgery.

Flat foot surgery is major and recovery can be difficult at times. Recovery is long and there are many ups and downs.
Good luck.

Last edited by Administrator; 11-14-2011 at 12:31 PM.

The Following User Says Thank You to Missyluke For This Useful Post:
bess0006 (11-01-2011)
Closed Thread