It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-03-2011, 07:44 AM   #1
(female)

Redgold HB User
calcaneal osteotomy recovery

I hope someone can just post back to me and re-assure me that what I am going thru is normal and that I will recover from this and be able to walk without pain. I had a calcaneal osteotomy, ip release and 2-5 fusion in the middle of July, so that is 3 1/2 months ago. My foot still swells up like a balloon if I am unable to elevate it during the day. It feels like it is going to burst from the pressure inside of the foot most of the time. The numbness on the sole is very slowly improving but still the outside of the foot and toes have no feeling in them. I still cannot weight bear for more than very short periods or else the foot is extremely painful. I need to get back to work for financial reasons, but I am up and down a lot at work. Can someone please just re-assure me that all this is normal and that one day (hopefully in the not too distant future) that I will be able to walk more than 10 minutes without pain.

Old 11-08-2011, 05:56 PM   #2
(female)

GatorKnight HB User
Re: calcaneal osteotomy recovery

I feel your pain & frustration, believe me! I am not familiar with the ip release or 2-5 fusion you mentioned, but I did have flatfoot reconstructive surgery in June, which included posterior tibial tendon work, a calcaneal osteotomy, an additional bone graft on the top of my foot, and lengthening of my Achilles tendon. 5 months later I'm STILL having a lot of problems with swelling. It has improved noticeably over the last 3 weeks, but just a month ago I put on a compression stocking in the morning before going to work, and by the time I got home in the afternoon it was so swelled my husband had to help me get the stocking off. There was one occasion where it was so swelled that the only way to get the compression stocking off was to cut it!!! I was told to expect recurring swelling and discoloration/poor blood flow for a year after surgery. It goes without saying that days I'm on my foot longer (I teach, so my amount of standing/walking varies) mean more swelling. Anyway, I DO think that this is "normal" after the procedures you had, though certainly not fun! I was told not to take any NSAIDS for several months after surgery (because they interfere with bone healing), but once I was allowed to take ibuprofen again, that also seemed to help quite a bit more than the Tylenol I was forced to take in the beginning. I'm still in physical therapy working on weight-bearing for more than about 10 seconds at a time (on the one foot, that is), and I'm 5 months out from my surgery, so I think you're doing pretty well! Good luck!!!

Last edited by GatorKnight; 11-08-2011 at 05:58 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-08-2011, 06:28 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

roxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB User
Re: calcaneal osteotomy recovery

I also had flat foot reconstruction. I had the ptt/spring ligaments repaired, calcaneal osteotomy/cotton osteotomy, tendon transfer and gastroc recession. My foot swelled for several months. I am now 16 months post op and doing well. If you have any doubts about your symptoms, could you call your doctor

Closed Thread