It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-09-2011, 03:37 AM   #1
(female)

j8oxas HB User
posterior tibial tear

hi all, i am new on here, but here is my story so far.
In May this year I was running and felt something 'go' in my right ankle, it was extremely painful, and radiated up into my calf. My initial thought was achilles tendon.... I went to casualty the next morning and had an xray which revelaed nothing, (I knew ot wasnt a bony injury). Any way it didnt get better stayed very swollen, and my foot kind of collapsed, making it flat. Eventually my gp sent me for physio, the therapist didnt want to do any thing with it as she said it needed an orthopoedic opinion.
I saw my consultant in September who said it was a posterior tibial tendon tear. Ive had an mri scan wheich has confirmed it and now am waiting for a tendon transfer, he is going to break my heel and realign it at the same time. Im told I will be in plaster for ten weeks non weight bearing, then elbow cruches partially weight bearing. I cant wiat to get it done, its so painful and swollen, and is really holdong me back.
i just wondered how others have gone on with the same injury and surgery??
Sorry if I have gone on a bit Looking forward to hearing other peeps experiences. Thank you xx

Old 11-09-2011, 04:25 PM   #2
(female)

lightstepper HB Userlightstepper HB Userlightstepper HB Userlightstepper HB Userlightstepper HB Userlightstepper HB User
Re: posterior tibial tear

I have a nasty habit of tucking my foot under me when I sit. When I did that one day in a chair that had a little curve to the seat, I felt my posterior tibial tendon tear. Though mine didn't swell, it definetly hurt and I wanted something done with it right away. My injury was in Oct 2010 and I finally got flat foot reconstruction surgery in April 2011. I was in a cast/splint for 8 weeks. I JUST finished physical therapy Monday after doing it since June. The recovery is a long haul, but anatomically, you end up more "correct." My chiropractor marvels at how level my hips are since the surgery, so I think it was worth it. I still have pain in the foot, but it isn't the same injured feeling you have in the tendon while it is ripped and disfunctional.

Good luck to you!

The following user gives a hug of support to lightstepper:
j8oxas (11-09-2011)
The Following User Says Thank You to lightstepper For This Useful Post:
j8oxas (11-09-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-09-2011, 11:06 PM   #3
(female)

j8oxas HB User
Wink Re: posterior tibial tear

Thank you for your reply, I hope you are feeling better. It is just beginning to dawn on me how long the recovery period is going to be....... My consultant has been very honest with me, hes very good at his job and specializes in foot work, he did say it was a long haul but this board has really has driven it home, so I guess I could be looking at six months??
Im really looking forward to having my foot fixed, and just want things back on track. (I get awful knee, hip and back pain on the left, my injury is the right).
Im very active, go to the gym five times a week, (havent been since the injury) work in an operating theatre (not orthopoedic lol), and I breed show and judge Boxers, I also have more relaxing hobbies so Im going to have to concentrate on those while Im off .
Its really good to hear from others..........................

Old 11-10-2011, 01:11 AM   #4
(female)

lightstepper HB Userlightstepper HB Userlightstepper HB Userlightstepper HB Userlightstepper HB Userlightstepper HB User

My surgeon said 10-12 weeks off work but when I got to that point and still wasn't real snappy about getting around, I couldn't see how I would have gone back to work. Fortunatly I am a teacher and could take the summer to recover, too. I went back to work at 5 months and felt I was more "ready" then.

Old 11-10-2011, 07:29 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

roxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB User

I also work in the public schools. I went back to work after 20 weeks. There is no way I could have gone back to work much sooner.

The Following User Says Thank You to roxygirl1 For This Useful Post:
j8oxas (11-10-2011)
Old 11-10-2011, 11:39 AM   #6
(female)

j8oxas HB User

Thanks guys, actually I work as a nurse, in an operating theatre!!!!! though not orthopoedics lol.
Im told by my surgeon - plaster non weight bearing for ten weeks then partial weight bearing with elbow crutches, then physio. I can see its going to be slow....... I just want it done now, its soooo hard working (or trying to) all day, I do have an ankle support, Im just hoping that when I see my consultant next week he's going to be able to give me a date for my surgery.
it also worries me the amount of time that has elapsed between the injury and the diagnosis.....

Old 11-11-2011, 03:17 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Missyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB User

Recovery is long, but well worth it in the end. I did not return to work until four month post op. Even at this it was difficult. My job is in the hospital and I am required to be on my feet all day. There are some on the board you have returned to work sooner, but their jobs did not require them to be on their feet. Before having surgery, be sure to check out the sticky thread on tactics for coping while non-weight bearing after surgery.

The Following User Says Thank You to Missyluke For This Useful Post:
j8oxas (11-14-2011)
Old 11-13-2011, 10:35 AM   #8
(female)

j8oxas HB User

Thank you, whaat is a sticky thread and how do I find it lol xx

Old 11-13-2011, 11:02 AM   #9
(female)

lola456 HB Userlola456 HB Userlola456 HB User

It's one of the top posts you'll see in the foot problem section. It's 'sticky' because it forever remains in the designated top section.

Right under the 'post a question' button, there is 'start your own new thread' post followed by the NWB tips.

The actual post link (I assume I'm allowed to post this??):
http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=737812

The following user gives a hug of support to lola456:
j8oxas (11-14-2011)
Old 11-13-2011, 11:04 AM   #10
(female)

lola456 HB Userlola456 HB Userlola456 HB User

It's one of the top posts you'll see in the foot problem section. It's 'sticky' because it forever remains in the designated top section.

Right under the 'post a question' button, there is 'start your own new thread' post followed by the NWB tips.

The actual post link (I assume I'm allowed to post this??):
http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=737812
---

update:
d'oh!! it looks like I double posted somehow. Sorry about that!

Last edited by lola456; 11-14-2011 at 04:18 PM.

The Following User Says Thank You to lola456 For This Useful Post:
j8oxas (11-14-2011)
Old 11-14-2011, 03:38 PM   #11
(female)

Jolmsey HB User

Roxygirl1,Did HSS do your surgery?

Old 11-14-2011, 04:41 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

roxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB User

Yes, I went to HSS. It was well worth the inconvenience of the 1 1/2 hour drive into the city. I am now 16 months post op and thrilled with the outcome so far. Are you considering surgery there? I used the head of the foot and ankle dept. He does lots of flat foot surgeries

Old 11-15-2011, 04:52 AM   #13
(female)

Jolmsey HB User

I actually already had the surgery - at HSS by the same doctor you had. I'm 12 months post-op and also thrilled with the results. I'm back playing golf. I walk the first nine and take a cart for the back nine. I've started playing tennis again - doubles only (for now). I try to walk at least two miles a day and do leg and ankle exercises at the gym three days a week. This is a far cry from where I was summer of 2010 - constant pain and unable to walk very much at all. We are fortunate to have had the best doctor. I also had to travel at least 90 minutes. I just had my one year check up last Wednesday and don't have to go back for a year!!

Old 11-15-2011, 05:43 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

Congratulations. I also feel as if I got my life back. I find that I still have to do occasional stretches and the top of the foot has somewhat reduced sensation but it is no big deal. I work full time and don't have to think twice abouit going out to do errands etc after I work.
\
Do you wear orthotics?

Old 11-15-2011, 05:57 AM   #15
(female)

Jolmsey HB User

I do wear orthotics - not all the time. They were made right there at HSS and are adjusted at each of my post-op appts. I also have reduced sensation (numbness) but it's on the outside of my ankle right by the ankle bone. I still have all my pins and screws in but Dr. D said he could remove some of them if they bothered me - which they don't at this time. I still sleep with a pillow under my knee. It just feels better that way. I'm not 100% yet but am soooooooooo much better than I was. My tennis friends say that I'm back 85% - and they're a tough bunch. My team actually went to Nationals two years ago and came in fourth! I need so much to be active. The surgery saved me.

Closed Thread