It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-10-2011, 11:44 AM   #1
(female)

gramattheshore HB User
Heel pain post pttd surgery; please help

I am 8 months post pttd surgery for a torn tendon. My original pain from the tear is, of course, long gone. HOWEVER, I still have extreme heel pain and on both sides of my Achilles tendon when I first stand, even if only sitting for a matter of 10 minutes. The pain lessens somewhat when I keep walking, but it is stil about a 5-6 out of 10. My foot surgeon says she does not know what it is, sees no heel spurs, and since she cannot duplicate the pain by pressing on the foot, she cannot find out what it is from. I'm so disgusted and after 2 years of pain prior to the complete tendon tear and all these months recovering from the surgery, I'm desperate. Don't know what to do. Has anyone had this and found relief? Please help.....Thanks, Theresa

Old 11-10-2011, 04:39 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

roxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB User
Re: Heel pain post pttd surgery; please help

I had a lot of pain at the back/bottom of the heal due to the screws. Once they were removed, the heal pain went away.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-11-2011, 03:12 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Missyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB User

Do you stretch your achielles in the morning? I had some discomfort and tightness at my achielles after surgery. Stretching helped - I stretched several times a day.

Old 11-11-2011, 07:30 AM   #4
(male)

cduke HB Usercduke HB User

I am 8 months post op lateral column lengthening, calcaneal osteotomy, and gastroc recession. My pain sounds very similar to yours. I have a sharp pain in the back of my heel, mainly on the outside and where the heel meets the achilles. This pain is not getting much better. Gramattheshore, have you had any hardware removed near your heel? I have been wondering if the screw in my heel is the problem. My doctor says no. I have no idea. Roxy, do you have any pain in your heel now at all?

Old 11-11-2011, 07:44 PM   #5
(female)

lightstepper HB Userlightstepper HB Userlightstepper HB Userlightstepper HB Userlightstepper HB Userlightstepper HB User

I have had my hardware out. My lingering pain 8 months post op is in the arch just below where the original PTT pain was/is. It is killer when I first stand up, but works itself out. Triggered when going down stairs or scooching down.

Old 11-20-2011, 07:33 AM   #6
(female)

gramattheshore HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxygirl1 View Post
I had a lot of pain at the back/bottom of the heal due to the screws. Once they were removed, the heal pain went away.
Roxygirl, the only hardware I have is the anchor(s) holding the repaired and reinforced tendon in place. No other hardware. I've tried stretching (many times a day) and icing but no relief. I'm going to make an appt with the doc who rebuilt my son's foot after a fall. I'm in DE and he is in MD, but that gives me a chance to visit the grandchildren.

Old 11-20-2011, 07:44 AM   #7
(female)

gramattheshore HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cduke View Post
I am 8 months post op lateral column lengthening, calcaneal osteotomy, and gastroc recession. My pain sounds very similar to yours. I have a sharp pain in the back of my heel, mainly on the outside and where the heel meets the achilles. This pain is not getting much better. Gramattheshore, have you had any hardware removed near your heel? I have been wondering if the screw in my heel is the problem. My doctor says no. I have no idea. Roxy, do you have any pain in your heel now at all?
cduke, I still have the pain. I've tried stretching and ice, no help. The only hardware I have are the anchors holding the repaired/rebuilt tendon in place, and that is not near the heel. I'm going to make an appt with the doc who rebuilt my son's foot after a fall. I'm in DE and he is in MD, but that gives me a chance to visit the grandchildren, too.

Old 11-20-2011, 07:47 AM   #8
(female)

gramattheshore HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missyluke View Post
Do you stretch your achielles in the morning? I had some discomfort and tightness at my achielles after surgery. Stretching helped - I stretched several times a day.
Missyluke, I have tried (and still do) stretching, ice but no relief. Sometimes it feels like I'm stepping on a nail. I'm going to MD (I live in DE) to see the doc who rebuilt my son's foot after a fall. I'm at the end of my rope with this pain. Even started using a cane again just to get up after sitting.

Old 11-20-2011, 05:29 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Missyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB User

I am so sorry you are still going through all the pain. Hopefully, the new doctor will find what the problem is and correct it.

The Following User Says Thank You to Missyluke For This Useful Post:
gramattheshore (11-20-2011)
Closed Thread