It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-15-2011, 07:14 PM   #1
(male)

5circles HB User
Working while non-weight-bearing

Perhaps it's too soon to be thinking seriously about this - less than a week after 5 hours of surgical procedures, and not yet had my first post-op appointment. But after getting things sort of organized in the bedroom for in bed and on a chaise, I decided to see how the home office might work out as the bed and the chaise aren't very satisfactory.

The office has the advantage of a large screen (easier for me to operate from a distance) and files available. I thought at first it was going to be OK with my foot propped on a table. Maybe I just spent too long out of bed but my back got twitchier, and the foot was uncomfortable. I know the foot wasn't above the heart, so perhaps I just have to wait for a bit. But I need to get a small amount of work done before the end of the week.

I'd like to have some options in mind to ask the doctor about when I see him on Thursday.

I I was pleased that my office chair felt good - as others pointed out. I don't suppose that getting the foot higher would do any good (I was even wondering about suspending a sling from the ceiling) as my back would still be too upright.

How are others coping?
Thanks
Mike

Old 11-16-2011, 10:06 AM   #2
(male)

London Chap HB UserLondon Chap HB UserLondon Chap HB User
Re: Working while non-weight-bearing

Some people use products like this and work in bed. I don't know if this is any good but others here have mentioned working with something similar.

Personally I didn't need to as I was able to work with my foot up on another chair.

I was lucky enough to be able to do some minor work about 5 days after my op but the key thing is to keep the foot up and the swelling down. My surgeon told me that I could not be too lazy in the first couple of weeks after surgery.

Last edited by moderator2; 11-16-2011 at 10:07 AM. Reason: please do not post a commercial website, for any reason.

The Following User Says Thank You to London Chap For This Useful Post:
5circles (11-17-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-16-2011, 10:15 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Missyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB User

The first couple of weeks is really important to keep your foot elevated above your heart. I am not sure how you can accomplish this to do work. Keeping it elevated will keep the swelling (and pain) down. Good luck.

The Following User Says Thank You to Missyluke For This Useful Post:
5circles (11-17-2011)
Old 11-17-2011, 10:46 PM   #4
(male)

5circles HB User

Thanks London Chap (pity you couldn't post the URL - that reduces part of the value of the board IMO). Thanks Missieluke.

The doctor says I'm doing well, but echoes the being lazy advice. I'd say I'm getting better at that especially now that I've got some critical things out of the way, but as a self-employed person I can't afford to just take vacation. The doctor said that lying on my front with a laptop might be better as I could still lift the leg up - haven't tried that yet.

When I sent the idea of the ceiling suspended sling to one of my subcontractors he sent a link to "100 ways to kill yourself".

Getting better with Dragon, and making the nest more comfortable and effective.

Last edited by 5circles; 11-18-2011 at 07:36 AM. Reason: Clarify

Closed Thread