It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-16-2011, 09:38 AM   #1
(female)

cg71 HB User
One week after double bunion surgery

I had double bunion surgery last Weds (one week today) using the Scarf Akin procedure. I have read so many stories that put fear into me while I was waiting for my surgery that I thought I would post what, to date, has been a positive experience.

I left hospital the same day having had a nerve block which wore off after about 18 hours. I walked to my frot door using my crutches and climbed the stairs on my bottom. I stayed upstairs until Sunday and took painkillers round the clock - co-codamol and ibuprofen and had some pain but nothing beyond a 6 on a scale of 1-10 at worst but averaging a 3. The air was pretty blue the first morning when I got up to go to the bathroom but it hurt less as the first day went on. The Co-codamol made me feel awful so I stopped taking it on Sunday morning and since Sunday evening I have perhaps just taken 400mg of ibuprofen a day maximum.

My surgeon told me there was no need to ice my feet so I haven't. They are bandaged very tightly and I have surgical shoes to walk in. From what I can see my 2nd toes on both feet are slightly bruised but there appears to be no swelling.

I am havig the stitches out on Monday and can't wait to see what they look like under the bandages - planning on taking photos to show the kids and add to my scrapbook of before, during and after recovery photos.

I am getting around the house using my crutches just fine although I have to climb up and down the stairs on my bottom. While I can walk on crutches I can't stand still as my feet tingle if I stand on them for more than a couple of minutes.

It is frustrating not being able to do anything around the house and am sat here now listening to the kids fighting! I am also very emtional and my husband only has to look at me the wrong way and I cry!!

So all in all a very poisitive experience so far. Soorry for the self-indulgent nature of the post just wanted to offer a positive slant on this whole experience. If I had my time again I would definitely have double surgery again - couldn't bear the boredom of the recovery twice!! If I can help anyone then please feel free to drop me a line

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-16-2011, 02:43 PM   #2
(female)

rachelanz HB User
Re: One week after double bunion surgery

Hey there, thank you so much for your positive post about your double bunionectomy! I'm due to have mine one week from today and have been freaking out slightly from all the research I have been doing on other people's experiences. I totally agree with you about getting both done at once rather than going through the recovery process twice!!

Any words of wisdom, hints or tips you can offer would be extremely helpful. I'm still unsure as to what type of surgery I'm having as I had my consultation back in May and couldn't really schedule my surgery until now when it is a quiet period at my workplace. I've bought a stool for the shower so I don't get my feet wet, ice packs, and comfy pillows for the couch - but anything else you can recommend would be extremely helpful!! (Not to mention the books, arts and craft projects, dvd box sets, puzzles etc I have to keep my mentally stimulated!!).

Best of luck with your own recovery and it would be great to see photos of how the surgery has turned out. I hope that it stays a positive experience and that mine will be as good as yours!!

Take care

Rachel

Old 11-17-2011, 02:27 AM   #3
(female)

cg71 HB User
Re: One week after double bunion surgery

I saw my consultant in May too and booked my operation now as it worked well with my 2 children - didn't occur to me that christmas was also just round the corner so now franically online shopping! Why not call the hospital and check which procedure you are having? Have you had your pre-op appointmnet yet as they will be able to tell you as well?

I would say make sure that someone pops in few times a day if your partner unable to be home with you. You won't be able to make a cup of tea or sandwich even - while I can now make a cup of tea I can't carry it and use my crutches and can't stand still for more than a couple of minutes.

My surgeon said no to ice packs and I have to say I have had little/no swelling and haven't needed them. Make sure that you take painkillers regularly upon leavig hosital - do not allow the pain to build up. I took co-codamol and ibuprofen every alternate 4 hours for the first 2-3 days - so I would take co-codamol and then 2 later ibuprofen - felt like I did nothig other than take drugs the first few days!

I would also say make sure you have tracksuit bottoms as the bandaging is very thick and much easier and more comfortable to pull on than jeans. I also have a couple of hooded sweatshirts with pockets in the front which mean I can carry small items in them such as a can of diet coke in them which is helpful.

I am washing in the bathroom at the basin and am really missing my bath. Our shower has a fixed head so not able to wash in the shower even with a stool.

Can't think of anything else at the moment. Just noticed you are in the UK. Where abouts? I'm in the South

Closed Thread