It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....



Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-17-2011, 08:48 PM   #1
Newbie
(female)
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Kansas City, MO
Posts: 6
HockeyFantom HB User
Unhappy Big Toe-Bone Graft vs. Amputation?

Just wanted to see if anyone out there had any advice for me. I had a bunionectomy in 2004 with a hammertoe repair (little toe). I contracted MRSA, and subsequently had 3 surgeries to clean the bone, and finally a screw removal. To say the least, I have been stuck with a mess for a result. Have waited for repair, I'm a single parent, and 6 months off work without pay is ALOT. Anyways, 2nd consult with a great doc in town (6 months to get an appt) and he recommends a 5 toe amputation on my left foot vs, the more invasive bone graft in my big toe. he would then have to remove knuckles (called this resectioning?) in toes 2-5 to make them lay flat, and pin them in place. I am in alot of pain, daily. Has anyone got any advice on whether the MRSA will attack again? i hate to go the full route, and do the grafts, etc if it may not take. I had 2 rounds of vanco iv before they got it under control last time. Im not worried about the pain, i expect it to hurt. But I am super worried about the infection coming back. The doc recommended the amputation because of my infection history, and because I now walk on my joints in the toes, not the toes themselves. I would gladly take any advice right now- surgery is after christmas.

 
Sponsors Lightbulb
   
Old 11-18-2011, 04:54 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 1,158
roxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB User
Re: Big Toe-Bone Graft vs. Amputation?

You are facing a big decision. Could you get more than the one opinion?

 
Sponsors Lightbulb
   
Old 11-18-2011, 06:34 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Palm Harbor, FL
Posts: 777
Missyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB User
Re: Big Toe-Bone Graft vs. Amputation?

It sounds like you have been through so much already, and now face a major, major decision. I really think you should go for a third opinion and see what another doctor recommends.

 
Old 11-24-2011, 08:13 PM   #4
Newbie
(female)
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Kansas City, MO
Posts: 6
HockeyFantom HB User
Re: Big Toe-Bone Graft vs. Amputation?

I've not found one close to me, the dr. I just saw that gave me the recommendation is a foot and ankle reconstructive surgeon, one of the top in the area and he was highly recommended. So, I don't know where to look for another one? I've tried casually searching my area, but not sure where to look. Since I've had so many difficulties, I really want someone who does grafts alot, not just reagular foot surgeries? Any suggestions on where to search?? I've scheduled with him for Dec 30th, but could back out if I found someone different.

 
Old 11-25-2011, 02:35 PM   #5
Facilitator
(female)
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 15,534
Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: Big Toe-Bone Graft vs. Amputation?

Call the Chiefs front office and find out who they use for foot issues. Knowing that your big toes balance your entire body, I'd want to be absolutely certain before I had one amputated.

 
Old 11-27-2011, 06:57 AM   #6
Senior Member
(female)
 
jcjwillis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 239
jcjwillis HB User
Re: Big Toe-Bone Graft vs. Amputation?

Dear Hockey Fantom

I am having amputation and ray amputation surgery on my big toe this coming Wednesday,

I to have an infection all the way to the bone (Osteomyelitis) my infection is a staph infection. I have been through many surgeries and treatments for I have had the infection for over four years.

This is a big decision for you to make. You want to weigh all your possibilities carefully and do a lot of research on amputation.

This is a last resort for me. Have you tried hyber baric oxygen treatments?

Wish you all the best and hope that soon you will be feeling better!

 
Closed Thread

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Board Replies Last Post
Do I really have Big Toe arthritis even though my X-ray is normal? Please any input? Axemytoe Foot & Ankle Problems 54 09-03-2010 09:07 AM
Is this toe pain really Morton's neuroma? rmillstein Foot & Ankle Problems 11 08-29-2010 03:40 PM
Big Toe is numb - Nerve damage? flagator Foot & Ankle Problems 0 10-17-2009 09:21 PM
Toe fusion questions imhdab Foot & Ankle Problems 102 04-13-2005 07:08 AM
Has anyone gone through overlapping fifth toe surgery? Scottshark Foot & Ankle Problems 3 05-30-2004 06:48 AM

Tags
bone graft, bunion, mrsa, resection, staph infection



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Sign Up Today!

Ask our community of thousands of members your health questions, and learn from others experiences. Join the conversation!

I want my free account

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:42 PM.



Site owned and operated by HealthBoards.comô
Terms of Use © 1998-2014 HealthBoards.comô All rights reserved.
Do not copy or redistribute in any form!