It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-23-2011, 05:20 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Missyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB User
Post op - repair to peroneal tendon tear

I had my surgery yesterday. The surgeon was doing an exploration and debridement of the peroneal tendons. The MRI did not show anything wrong with the peroneal tendon but fortunately, my surgeon listened to me on what I was feeling, and the swelling which would not subside. Turns out there was a tear in the peroneal tendon which he repaired. This surgery was done as an outpatient and believe me I really miss the PCA pump I had for my previous surgery! The popliteal nerve block wore off at 4:00 am and the pain was unbelieveable. It does not matter what I do, any movement is excruiating. I am to do absolutely nothing but elevate and ice for the first five days, remain NWB for a total of two weeks, then I will be back to the boot. He said after surgery that once I recover, I will feel absolutely great - my foot should finally feel normal. So now, I am just taking my pain pills, icing & elevating and trying to suck it up and deal with this pain. Honestly, when I get up to use the bathroom, the pain is so intence that I am not sure if I am going the throw up or pass out. I know in the end, it will be so worth it, but it is hard to be back to this place and know I will need to go through it again with my other foot sooner rather then later.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-23-2011, 07:12 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB User
Re: Post op - repair to peroneal tendon tear

I'm glad your surgery went well and that your surgeon listened to you and found and fixed the problem. I am sorry that you are in so much pain. I bet you do miss your PCA pump from your previous surgery! Your previous surgery was so much more involved than this one! I didn't have a PCA pump for my first surgery either (modified Brostrom) and I won't for this 2nd surgery my doctor and I are in the middle of deciding either (MRI was yesterday). I remember the kind of pain you are in and it's a yucky place to be! But remember, it gets better every single day! Keep it elevated except for when you HAVE to get up and then take it slow to help minimize the nausea. I find your story very interesting b/c my doctor thinks I have a peroneal tendon tear. Interestingly enough, I don't have swelling (anymore, I did after each injury). I just have continued pain in the area of the peroneals and have sustained injuries whose mechanisms are high risk for peroneal tendon tears. We'll see what the MRI says next week, but as you said, it doesn't always show up. That happened in my first surgery. The CFL was "poorly visualized" on MRI and when he got in there, it was torn too! The other interesting thing is that you said you have to be NWB for only 2 weeks. Did he just suture the tendon together (back to itself)? The reason I ask is b/c I also have lateral ankle instability (again) and depending on if there's a tear or not (and which peroneal tendon is torn), he will take part of my peroneal brevis and suture it to the fibula to help with the instability and either way he said I will be NWB 6 wks!!! 6 wks in a cast-3 in a hard cast and 3 in a boot!

Keep us updated on your recovery and stay on top of the elevation, ice, and pain pills!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-23-2011, 07:35 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

roxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB User

Good luck with your recovery. Hopefully the pain will subside soon.

Old 11-23-2011, 09:32 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Missyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB User

Thank you. I think with any foot surgery, all it takes is the first time you get up to use the bathroom to realize that all you want to do is elevate your foot! Keeping my foot covered in ice and elevated helps so much. With this injury, I did not always have pain, some days were worse then others. For me, the swelling was always there, right behind the bone. The MRI's I have had (both for my peroneals and ptt) did not show a problem, in fact the MRI did not even show a fx bone - it was found during the first surgery. Is your peroneal on the same foot you had surgery on? I am not thrilled about needing another surgery once my foot gets stronger. Funny though, when I first started going to this surgeon (thru workman's comp) I did not like him, and now I think I will probably use him for the reconstruction surgery on my other foot.

Old 11-24-2011, 05:59 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

roxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB User

Isn't it crazy that a country that prides itself on providing quality healthcare has a system where if you get injured on the job, you have to keep your fingers crossed that you have a decent surgeon. It sounds as if you lucked out in this case. Would the other foot be considered a workmans comp injury?

What are your plans for Thanksgiving? I am sure it is NOT cooking.

Old 11-24-2011, 06:47 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

It really should be considered under workman's comp. The surgeon said that the fall really exacerbated the flat foot. However, because having a flat foot is a pre-existing condition, I am not sure what will happen. The OCD was a direct cause of the accident. At this point I am not sure what to think. I am really grateful that the doctor did not look at the MRI and say everything is fine. It's pretty funny now when I think about the first two appointments with him I did not care for him and did not think he would really help me. Turns out now I am very grateful to him for fixing it. I think I got really lucky with him. Thanksgiving dinner, definately will not be cooking! My daughter is going to barbeque some steaks. Hopefully I will be up to eating it - I'm really not feeling so good today although some of the pain has subsided my stomach is upset and I feel kind of shaky. So far, my daughter has really been here for me. Are you cooking Thanksgiving dinner? Have a great day and enjoy. I think I will probably sleep most of the day away.

Old 11-24-2011, 06:56 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hopefully this time next week, you will be feeling much better. I am not cooking, just making an apple pie. We are going to my sister in-laws house. I have had a misserable head cold the past week. I still have coughing fits. My husband will make the pie with my close guidance. I figure that no one would want me to make it when they hear one of my coughing fits.

My non surgical foot, the ptt starts to bother me by the end of the day if I don't wear my extremely supportive orthotics (I have one for sneakers and one for shoes) in my motion control sneakers. I am going for pt to strengthen things. Hopefully the pt will prevent my non surgical foot from going south.

Old 11-24-2011, 07:46 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

I really hope you can prevent your non-surgical foot from needing surgery. I have to find a way to put it off until next year. I need to FMLA and will only have 6 weeks left after this recovery. Hope you feel better.

Old 11-25-2011, 12:10 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB User

Missy, I hope you are feeling somewhat better even though I know you aren't feeling great! Happy Thanksgiving anyway! To answer your question, yes the peroneal pain is on my surgical foot. I've had a pretty good amount of pain today b/c Thanksgiving was at my house and I did a lot of cooking (not all of it by far) and was on my feet all day. Trying to get comfortable enough to go to sleep now. Can't wait to see what the MRI says on Mon at my appt although I'm betting it doesn't say anything just like yours!

Old 11-25-2011, 12:39 AM   #10
Inactive
(male)

xbadfishx HB Userxbadfishx HB Userxbadfishx HB User

sound like he hit a nerve but hopefully thats only that has happened.

Old 11-25-2011, 11:49 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hollywood48: Good luck on Monday. Let us know what happens. I have started not taking the pain pills on a schedule, but only when the pain gets to that point where I need it. I think I am spending most of my time sleeping which I guess is a good thing. I do not think I am eating as I should, do not really feel hungry. Hopefully today you get to rest your foot some.

Roxygirl: I really hope this time next year your ptt is feeling much better (on your non-surgical foot) and that we are not going through flat foot reconstruction surgery together again!

Old 11-28-2011, 06:26 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Wanted to let you know how much better I feel. I stopped taking the pain meds on Saturday, but continue with the elevation and ice. Have not even needed to take any Advil for the aches. Ice seems to really help with the aches and pains. I am really glad this is behind me and look forward to the first post op appt (12-5) to get the spint off and stitches/staples removed. the doctor really feels that once I get past the recovery I will see an enormous difference with this foot. Then it will be time to think about the other foot.....

Old 11-28-2011, 06:37 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

That is great news

Old 11-28-2011, 04:15 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

Oh that IS great news! So glad the pain is much better! Yes, it is behind you and you will feel better after getting the splint off! You will have to let us know how that post-op appt goes!

I went to the OS today for my MRI results. Read my thread for that update! I wasn't prepared for it!

Old 11-28-2011, 04:32 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

Missy-you are right! NOT what I want! But it isn't as bad as what you are going through and then having to do the other foot! Bless your heart!

Closed Thread