It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-08-2011, 07:44 PM   #1
(female)

a mess in ct HB User
scheduled for surgery on Sept. 29th

Hi!

I have also been diagnosed with PTTD and am scheduled for surgery on Sept. 29th, 2011 .Was just wondering if you decided to have the surgery after all. If so how did it go and whats the recovery like? I've already had two surgeries this year for plantar faciiatis but got no relief. I am really scared but I am only 53 and feel that I don't want to be in pain for the rest of my life. I've got to much living to do. Would appreciate knowing how you're doing!
Sincerely,
Terry

Old 09-09-2011, 01:21 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Missyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB User
Re: Newly diagnosed PTTD patient needs info

A Mess in Ct: I had flat foot reconstruction 8/25/10. It is not a surgery I would recommend to have done until you absolutely have to. Recovery is a very long process. Would I do it all over again? Absolutely. My surgery was a success. Know going into it that it really does take a full year until you are fully healed. Once I got to approximately 10 months, things had finally got to a point where I had no discomfort and could do everything I wanted to do. I returned to work four months post op and due to my job (RRT at hospital), it was hard going back and had many ups and downs. Due to an accident at work, my arch on my "good" has significantly dropped and the workman comp. doctor looked at my heal from behind (yesterday), and I have the classic look - foot caved in and heal out of allignment. He said that the work injury definately exacerbated my flat foot problem and would ultimately need the surgery again on my other foot. It really is not what I want to have done again but will do it with no reservations because I know in the end it is really worth it. I would recommend trying all conservative methods first but if you need the surgery it truly is worth having done.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-09-2011, 07:31 AM   #3
(female)

scribytoo HB User

Mess - I had a triple arthrodesis in fall of 2008. As others have said, it is a tough recovery - at least for me it was a full 12 weeks completely off the foot (wheelchair and hopping with walker.) Then the slow rehab phase. But I went back to work after 4 mos. and by 8 mos. was doing well. Only pain after initial surgery came during rehab and it was tough at times. Now, 3 years late, I feel like I have a new lease on life. Sure, once in awhile I get what I would call normal pain from too long on my feet. But nothing like what I experienced efore the surgery. It was the waiting to walk that nearly did me in. But if you read the boards, that is common with this type of surgery.

I've had two total knee replacements and the triple and I felt like I became younger. One of my colleagues walked up behind me one day and said "I didn't think that was you. You're walking so normal!"
Scribytoo

The Following User Says Thank You to scribytoo For This Useful Post:
a mess in ct (09-09-2011)
Old 09-09-2011, 08:10 AM   #4
(female)

a mess in ct HB User

Hi!

Thanks so much for your reply. So glad to hear you're doing better but also sad to hear that you may need to do it again.
I have been in pain and going to doctors for 2 years now. I had plantar faciitis surgery on both feet this year and am still in pain so I'm very reluctant about yet another surgery. Reading everyones post is really scarey but I can't go on the way I am. I want to return to doing all my favorite activities so I guess this is my only option. I have it in both feet which is a real bummer. I asked if they could do both at the same time and he said only if I want to go to a nursing home for 2 months. I Don't think so!
If you have any helpful tips I'd love to hear them. Don't want to be a bother but it's nice to talk to someone who understands what I'm going through.Thanks again!
Sincerely,
Terry

Old 09-09-2011, 08:24 AM   #5
(female)

a mess in ct HB User

Hi Scribytoo,
Thank you so much for your encouraging words. So glad to hear you recovered so nicely. It sounds really scarey but hopefully will be worth it in the end. You've been through so much. I guess if you can do it well than so can I. If you have any good tips, I'd love to hear them. All the best to you!
Sincerely,
Terry

Old 09-09-2011, 08:37 AM   #6
(female)

romangirl03 HB User

Well it's no walk in the park, that's for sure. I did have the surgery shortly after that. It's been 2 years now. It was a very painful recovery, at least for the first few weeks. OMG, after surgery -I'd say the first 2 weeks were the worst! Couldn't put my foot on the floor for about 8 weeks. And since I was not very good with the crutches, it was pretty difficult. I lived in a 2 story house at the time, so I basically lived in my family room or months. This surgery was no joke! I am extremely independent and so the toughest part was having to rely on friends and family for help! I am a single parent. Someone (usually my mom) had to come everyday to help out. My friends were there for the first couple of weeks, but soon I didn't see them much anymore. It was a very tough time...but I got thru it. After the first 2 months I was able to do a little more on my own, going to physical therapy basically was it. Since I had my left foot reconstructed, at least I could drive. It was at least 12 - 16 weeks before I could actually walk without assistance. And even then it wasn't over. It was a still somewhat of a struggle, that first year. After that, I was ok and worked on just getting my ankle stronger. I still cannot bend my toes on that foot, I'm not sure if anyone else has had that problem. But for the most part, I really don't need to. I am planning (reluctantly) to have the ight foot done a the end of October. Overall, I'm glad that I did it! Although I still have pain sometimes, it's nothing like it was. I'd say my left foot is about 80%, and I think that's as good as it's going to get, maybe it'll get o 85% eventually. This surgery will be much more difficult since my mom recently passed away and I won't be able to drive myself since it's my right foot this time. But like you said, I've got too much living to do to be in this much pain. By the way, I doubt I'll ever wear heels again! Good luck! Let me know how it goes if you go thru with it.
Bj

Old 09-09-2011, 01:06 PM   #7
(female)

CALADY HB User

Hello:

I had PTTD surgery in July 2009. I am a tour guide and my feet are as important as my voice! I was 54 when I had this surgery done, and if I had to do it to the right foot as well, I would do it without even hesitating. I was non-weight bearing for 8 weeks and off of work for one year. Since my job required an incredible amount of walking, I had to be completely healed before I was able to go back. I am not sugar-coating this - it is a long recovery. I had to cancel a trip my husband and I had planned for months and months because it was 3 1/2 months after surgery and although I thought I would be able to make it, as time got closer and closer, I saw that I was only fooling myself. My foot did take nearly a year to feel well enough to go back to work. The swelling seemed to take forever to go away. My one recommendation to you is to rent a "knee roller" or "knee scooter" from a healthcare facility or pharmacy. It was my saving grace! It gives you independence to do things for yourself. Your operated foot is lifted and that knee is resting on the knee pad of the scooter while you "scoot" with your good foot. Check into those and reserve one BEFORE your surgery!!

Good luck....it will all be worth it in the end!

The Following User Says Thank You to CALADY For This Useful Post:
Old 09-09-2011, 01:09 PM   #8
(female)

swimbunnie HB Userswimbunnie HB Userswimbunnie HB Userswimbunnie HB Userswimbunnie HB Userswimbunnie HB Userswimbunnie HB User

Mess in CT... I'm 13 weeks post op. I went into NYC to have mine done by a reknowned foot and ankle surgeon. I know he also has an office out of CT, but I'm not sure where it is in relation to you...Martin O'Malley is his name. He is great if you have any reservations as to whether its time for surgery or not. I actually was at stage 2, but was still getting by in an AFO brace. It was getting worse though and as a teacher, summer was the best time. I'm back at work, in a boot, alternating between walking and using a kneewalker since these concrete floors are tough to deal with. I see progress every week and cant wait for next week appt hoping to get driving clearance. Good luck.

The Following User Says Thank You to swimbunnie For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread