It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-18-2011, 03:43 PM   #1
(male)

rwe366 HB User
flat feet/ colapsed arch

Right now I am 20 years old. My feet have since birth have always hurt me. Over the past 1-2 years it's been a lot worse. I broke my right ankle ( my good of the two ankles) about a year ago playing hockey. Every time I play hockey I can play like 10 mins and then I am just killing in my ankles especially my left. Any running jogging for longer than 10-20 mins make it very sore and with my career being on my feet know if I don't get it now I will need to get it later it seems. My left ankle is flat and it is collapsed. My right ankle is just super flat and still hurts a little from a plate that was inserted when I broke my ankle.. Both of my feet my doctor says are the flattest feet he has ever seen. I almost had surgery before college for my left feet that he was going to break my ankle not sure exactly and do something. I honestly don't remember exactly and was not for it then so just told my parents at the time no. My parents have very good insurance and with the Christmas vacation coming up I set up an appointment with my orthopedic surgeon.I don't know He is very good. I know my ankle is only going to get worse. I was thinking about having surgery possibly this Christmas vacation. I just don't know what to do and would like any advice from people who have had a similar surgery thanks.

Old 11-18-2011, 03:50 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

roxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB User
Re: flat feet/ colapsed arch

There are many different proceedures to correct flat feet. Without knowing what proceedures the doctor wants to do, it is impossible to comment on the anticipated outcome. You mention breaking the ankle. Do you mean breaking and re alligning the heal? You could expect to be out of commission for at least 8 weeks following most flat foot surgeries. I would suggest that you find out what the doctor wants to do and what type of recovery you will have to expect

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-05-2011, 07:07 PM   #3
(male)

rwe366 HB User
collaps arch

I did post here a few weeks bag debating on going to the doctor about my feet. I did not want to go because of my hockey career. After suffering my 4th concussion in less than a year my doctor told me that if I continue to play I am putting my life at risk. As hard as it is for me I am going to have to hang the skates up for now at least. I have played hockey my whole life and know it is going to be hard. I've had several surgeries from badly broken noses to broken ankles, you name it I probably have had it done. I scheduled the appointment for tomorrow for my orthopedic surgeon. He did advise me to get the surgery done, but due to my hockey career I said I could deal with the pain.

I was just looking for any advice. Does it really help as much as my doctor was saying. I have done physical therapy, have orthopedics, etc... I think this is my only option when knee and back pain every day. How bad is the pain. If I had it on my Christmas break would that be enough time to recover to get back to school or should I take the semester off. Thanks for any advice you can offer.

Last edited by moderator2; 12-06-2011 at 10:00 AM. Reason: please do not post a commercial website, for any reason.

Old 12-06-2011, 05:55 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Missyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB User
Re: collaps arch

I am assuming that you are having flat foot reconstruction surgery. What procedures is the doctor planning on doing? I had this surgery in 8/2010 and it really did make a huge difference. The recovery is long and at times difficult but very much worth it in the end. It takes a full year for the recovery process. I had just reached the one year mark when I had a work accident and required surgery for a tear in the peroneal tendon. When this is fully healed, I am supposed to have flat foot reconstruction surgery on my other foot. While I am not particularly looking forward to it, especially since I have been there before, I will be glad to have the problem fixed. Before having surgery, be sure to read the sticky thread about coping while NWB following foot surgery. It offers many ideas of how to prepare for this surgery.

The Following User Says Thank You to Missyluke For This Useful Post:
rwe366 (12-06-2011)
Closed Thread