It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-10-2011, 07:43 AM   #16
(female)

Moxie410 HB User
Re: PTTD surgery... any regrets or great results?

First, thank you to all who have replied and shared their experiences. I truly appreciate it!
Now for more details about my podiatrist appt yesterday, I asked how long he would recommend me going back into the boot for this time around. He said only a couple of weeks. I don't understand the short period of time given that the condition has worsened. Am I missing something?
On to post op questions again, I live and work with my sister and am able to work from home if necessary but can ride in to work with her since I won't be able to drive. Did none of you feel up to working within two weeks even if all you had to do was sit at a desk with your foot elevated or work from the bed on your laptop? My surgeon has said he thinks this is totally feasible ...in writing no less! Is that too optimistic? Regarding travel, if I have the surgery 12/21 it sounds to me like I probably won't be able to fly as early as mid January. I have a work trip but my boss understands if I can't make it.
Did any of you follow a strict vitamin regimen pre and post op? I asked my surgeon about it and he said to go for it as long as no fish oils and no vitamin e.
Ok, this is clearly my Saturday morning mind racing so I'll stop now. Thanks again for all the feedback.

Old 12-10-2011, 07:50 AM   #17
(female)

Moxie410 HB User

Oops, one more question, does anyone have any links to studies on these procedures? The only ones I can find are on a podiatry board.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-10-2011, 02:42 PM   #18
Senior Veteran
(female)

roxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB User

There was NO way I could have returned to work after two weeks!!!! Any time my foot was not elevated above my nose, I got that miserable blood rush. Your surgeon obviously never had this proceedure performed on himself if he says that returning to work after two weeks is realistic.

Old 12-10-2011, 03:05 PM   #19
(female)

Moxie410 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxygirl1 View Post
There was NO way I could have returned to work after two weeks!!!! Any time my foot was not elevated above my nose, I got that miserable blood rush. Your surgeon obviously never had this proceedure performed on himself if he says that returning to work after two weeks is realistic.
That makes me want to cry, actually this whole situation does. I'm having a hard time deciding to go for the surgery considering that it's totally a pain level I can deal with at this point. Yes, it hurts. No, I probably won't be doing any two day 40 mile breast cancer walks again because that was PAIN. Problem is I seem to have either a high enough pain tolerance or just an iron will and am so used to pain that I wonder if most people would think the level of pain I deal with is unbearable.
At this point I haven't been able to consistently wear a ladies dress shoe since April 2010....partially because of knee surgery, and I'm just dying to feel normal again and not have to "deal" with anything.

Old 12-10-2011, 03:29 PM   #20
Senior Veteran
(female)

Missyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB User

There is absolutely no way I could have worked, even from home, within two weeks. I know this is a huge decision but keep in mind that your foot is only going to continue to deteriorate. As time continues to move forward, the pain will continue to get worse.

Old 12-10-2011, 03:58 PM   #21
(female)

Moxie410 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missyluke View Post
There is absolutely no way I could have worked, even from home, within two weeks. I know this is a huge decision but keep in mind that your foot is only going to continue to deteriorate. As time continues to move forward, the pain will continue to get worse.
Can you explain why you don't feel like you could have worked then? Energy level, pain management? I had acl reconstruction last year with an autograft and started working from home 10 days out but could have easily gone to my office. The only reason I worked from home was because my surgeon thought it prudent to protect the graft to spend less time on my feet getting from a to b.

Old 12-10-2011, 04:09 PM   #22
Senior Veteran
(female)

Missyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB User

Any time my foot was hanging down or NOT toes above nose, the swelling and pain would take over. The first two weeks are really important to following toes above the nose. Once the swelling starts, the pain also goes up. I know some have gone back to work several weeks following this surgery but I think it would be difficult

The Following User Says Thank You to Missyluke For This Useful Post:
Moxie410 (12-10-2011)
Old 12-10-2011, 08:43 PM   #23
(female)

Moxie410 HB User

Thanks. I just hate losing my routine. I have looked into the laptop laid back thing and it looks like I could work from bed with my foot sky high with this. Also, my dog helps keep me going so even though I'll have help with her right at first i'm glad not to be boarding her like I did with my acl surgery. That sucked and I missed her but I had that huge cpm machine in my bed and it just wouldnt have worked with her in the bed too. She was a godsend in getting me back going once I got rid of that machine. I also became quite genius in doing laundry, washing dishes and carrying my food in Tupperware so I'm glad at least to have had the whole NWB experience before.

Thanks again for the support and information! I keep trying to tell myself mine won't be too bad considering they feel like they have caught it early enough to save me from more severe surgical intervention, but I also don't want to be too optimistic on a speedy recovery. Hope for the best prepare for the worst.

Old 12-10-2011, 09:28 PM   #24
(female)

lola456 HB Userlola456 HB Userlola456 HB User

>I don't understand the short period of time given that the condition has worsened. Am I missing something?

I'm not following the reasoning either.

> Did none of you feel up to working within two weeks even if all you had to do was sit at a desk with your foot elevated or work from the bed on your laptop?

I thought I would be, but i 110% was not. My surgeon said I could be back part time (working from home) in one week, and full time in about three. I returned part time after 5weeks and am now 11 weeks out and still working part time (mostly at this point due to the need for extra time off for physical therapy and occasional nerve surges). I had some nerve pain issues that I think increased my time off, but even without them, I think my surgeon was way off..If I had to do it again, I'd plan on *at least* 4 weeks off. (Whereas I followed what my surgeon said and told my boss I'd definitely be back by 2wks, thinking I was overestimating given the surgeon saying it would be 1wk).

>Can you explain why you don't feel like you could have worked then? Energy level, pain management?

Both, i think..plus the fact that if you have a pain spike at 3am and take opiates, you probably won't be shiny and awake at 7am.

*Everything* takes so much energy and effort post-op. I thought I had healthy 'youth' (36yrs) or some version thereof on my side so i'd be fine...it kicked my butt.

>Did any of you follow a strict vitamin regimen pre and post op? I asked my surgeon about it and he said to go for it as long as no fish oils and no vitamin e.

I was told to do no vitamins at all for 2 weeks before. I think this is just because it's easier for them to do a blanket removal lest 'I didn't realize...' ones slip through.
That said, don't forget about vitamin K (e & omegas 3s can cause bleeding...k can cause clotting) and herbs. A lot of vitamins now have added herbs which may not mix well with anesthesia.
Post-op I returned to my usual vitamin regimen, adding in bromelain for its inflammation assistance.
I also already take C above and beyond the RDA, but if you don't - there is a study showing 500mg of C helping reduce the # of patients with RSD after wrist fractures. (This isn't a wrist fracture, but if there's a chance the water-soluble vitamin possibly could help, I'm all for it).

>does anyone have any links to studies on these procedures?
I don't think we can post links on this board. Send me a pm if you want me to send you some.

>That makes me want to cry, actually this whole situation does. I'm having a hard time deciding to go for the surgery considering that it's totally a pain level I can deal with at this point.

I know that struggle all too well..

>I had acl reconstruction last year with an autograft and started working from home 10 days out but could have easily gone to my office.

I believe swimbunnie had the same thing and thus could first-hand comment on the differences. From what I've read (and heard from my surgeon), the knee recovery is much quicker/easier...Again though - I haven't gone through it so that's my spreading hearsay.

Good luck in whatever you decide to do!

---
Update -> Also, keep in mind, MRIs are estimates. The images can both under and over-report issues.

Last edited by lola456; 12-10-2011 at 09:38 PM.

Old 12-10-2011, 10:30 PM   #25
(female)

lightstepper HB Userlightstepper HB Userlightstepper HB Userlightstepper HB Userlightstepper HB Userlightstepper HB User

No way I would have been able to work either. You get so exhausted doing anything as it takes so much effort. Also the swelling issue and you're most likely still on pain pills then, too. They are doing SO much to your foot at once you need to focus using your energy to heal.

I found vitamin D helpful as you are inside without sun and trying to heal bone. Helps with depression, too. I also took vitamin C and calcium as well.

Old 12-11-2011, 06:12 AM   #26
Senior Veteran
(female)

roxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB User

At 17 months post op, I still remember how completely exhausted I felt just using the knee walker to go from bed to the bathroom at three weeks post op. Plan on being home for several weeks. The recovery is long and difficult but when I look back at how much pain I was in just walking from room to room prior to surgery, I knew that I had no option. For me, having the surgeru gave me my life back

Old 12-11-2011, 07:35 AM   #27
(male)

PA_bud HB User

I can tell U all that the surgeon that did my procedures insisted that I get a hospital bed since I have a multi-level home. I was flat on my back with my dang foot in the air for 5 or 6 weeks. It was nice when it was that way....they getting up to use the restroom and the surge of blood made ya wanna scream.
I am now 21 months since my initial injury...and 17 weeks since my revision for non union. I would be a LOT happier if I was pain free and could walk....but one day at a time I guess.

Please take care and thank you all for the support and advice.

Buddha

Old 12-11-2011, 07:45 AM   #28
Senior Veteran
(female)

sorry that you had to have a second surgery. I also live in a multi level home. We have a comfortable pull out in the living room. I spent about four weeks downstairs. My husband pretty much waited on me. At four weeks, I finally slept upstairs. I scootched up the steps on my tush with my husband there, spotting me and did the same to get downstairs in the morning. My husband had to help me get from the floor into our bed. My poor husband had to bring all of the pillows upstairs and then the elevated toilet seat and then the walker and of course bring them all back down in the morning. At four weeks post op, I was going sturr crazy just leaving the house for dr appointments. We borrowed a wheel chair and my husband pushed me a few blocks to a local bagel store. Eating out felt so good. The blood rushes and sheer exhaustion that resulted from doing anything would have made working impossible

Old 12-11-2011, 08:35 AM   #29
(female)

Moxie410 HB User

Roxygirl, can I ask your age or is that too forward? Also have you had other ortho surgeries in the past?

I luckily have a one story so bed and bath are on the same levels but I have to step one up yo get out of my bedroom then one down to get to the living room and kitchen.

Old 12-11-2011, 08:36 AM   #30
(female)

Moxie410 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA_bud View Post
I can tell U all that the surgeon that did my procedures insisted that I get a hospital bed since I have a multi-level home. I was flat on my back with my dang foot in the air for 5 or 6 weeks. It was nice when it was that way....they getting up to use the restroom and the surge of blood made ya wanna scream.
I am now 21 months since my initial injury...and 17 weeks since my revision for non union. I would be a LOT happier if I was pain free and could walk....but one day at a time I guess.

Please take care and thank you all for the support and advice.

Buddha
Do you know what caused your non union?

Closed Thread