It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-10-2011, 03:14 PM   #1
(female)

Grace817 HB User
Sprainked Ankle now Ganglion Cyst, please help!

Hi Everyone,

I have written on here before about my ongoing ankle injury. I sprained my ankle at the end of August and it has just been nonstop issues. I am no longer in PT and went back to see my Ortho on friday who told me he thinks the lump on my ankle is a ganglion cyst. Has anyone had one of these occur after an ankle sprain? It is very painful and the only advice he could give me is to RICE and put lidocaine patches on it and take ibuprofen. I had a cortisone shot in the lower part of my ankle which did help but the huge lump is still there. I now have an appointment with a dr (the person I was seeing was a physician's assistant) on December 30. Is is unreasonable for me to call Monday and ask that my appointment be moved up with the dr? I would really like to get this thing under control so I'm not in pain/limping around during the holidays. Please I would appreciate anyone's advice thank you!

Old 12-10-2011, 04:11 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Missyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB User
Re: Sprainked Ankle now Ganglion Cyst, please help!

If you are in pain, I would definately see if you could possibly get in earlier with the doctor.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-10-2011, 07:09 PM   #3
(female)

Grace817 HB User

I just hate feeling like I am a pain, but every time I go they just push me out three more weeks and nothing changes. If it needs to be surgically removed it would be nice to be able to schedule the surgery so I can take adequate time from work/school (phew felt good to get that out!)

Old 12-10-2011, 07:37 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Missyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB User

Have you thought about getting a second opinion?

Old 12-10-2011, 09:17 PM   #5
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Has no one mentioned taping it? Use athletic tape- available at any pharmacy- and tape it firmly. Should go away in a week or less.

Old 12-11-2011, 08:12 AM   #6
(female)

Grace817 HB User

I have taped it and it does nothing. It actually hurts to have the pressure on it. But yes my doctor did suggest that (sorry probably should have mentioned that!). I have charitable care through my hospital so my list of drs I can visit is limited. I guess I just am getting frustrated from dealing with this for four months now.

Old 12-12-2011, 06:39 AM   #7
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Sorry it didn't work. You know such cysts were called "Bible bumps" in the old days as people would use a large book - generally a Bible would be the one they would have in the house - and then slam it down on the cyst to burst it! I doubt you want to try t hat though.

Old 12-12-2011, 06:59 AM   #8
Facilitator
(female)

Sorry it didn't work. You know such cysts were called "Bible bumps" in the old days as people would use a large book - generally a Bible would be the one they would have in the house - and then slam it down on the cyst to burst it! I doubt you want to try t hat though.

Old 12-12-2011, 03:15 PM   #9
(female)

Grace817 HB User

Oh my gosh I did not know that, but thanks for the laugh....I definitely needed it!!

Old 12-13-2011, 02:05 PM   #10
(female)

Grace817 HB User

Ok went to the dr today, he doesn't think it is a cyst. thinks it is a buildup of fat tissue (***!?), tells me I shouldn't be in pain (even though I am), puts me in a boot, and gives me a prescription for lodine. Has anyone taken this before? I'm at the end of my rope here!

Old 12-13-2011, 05:36 PM   #11
(female)

indaslot HB Userindaslot HB Userindaslot HB Userindaslot HB Userindaslot HB Userindaslot HB User

Hi.My son developed an occult ganglion cyst in his midfoot following a ligament sprain. It may have also developed from friction from his hockey skates. he was misdiagnosed with extensor tendonitis, put in a boot took prescription anti inflammatories for a month, physio, padding, ice, rest, you name it. Finally, I was able to see a f&a ortho who did an MRI which found a tiny ganglion. It was injected with cortisone via ultrasound guidance by a radiologist and basically was vaporised as it was tiny. Stayed off his foot for a week or so. The soreness persisted for a while and gradually disappeared, helped by a change of skate model.

Last edited by indaslot; 12-13-2011 at 05:38 PM.

Closed Thread