It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-14-2011, 09:42 AM   #1
(female)

april1985 HB Userapril1985 HB Userapril1985 HB Userapril1985 HB User
Complications after foot surgery.

On Feb. 22nd I had flat foot reconstruction surgery which included calcaneal osteotomy, cotton wedge osteotomy, kidner procedure, and gastroc recession. The first few months after surgery I was progressing normally. Then it seemed that things kept happening one after another. Now at nine and a half months out my doctors and physical therapist are concerned that I have Complex Regional Pain Syndrome.

The past two to three months have been bad, things are getting progressively worse. The pain and symptoms are now spread throughout the whole leg all the way up to my hip. I have increased pain, sensitivity to touch especially on my quad, intense uncontrollable shaking that starts in my quad but shakes the whole leg with both active and passive activities, lots of tightness in my quad and hamstring, and increased weakness. Went back to see my surgeon on Monday and he ordered nerve and muscle testing which I had yesterday. The neurologist said that the tests came back fine which in this case isn't good news as with this syndrome those tests often come back normal. Sounds like my next step is to see a psychiatist/ pain management doctor.

Anyone else here have any similiar experience or know much about CRPS? The information I've been reading on the internet isn't very promising as its a life long condition and can be debilitating. I'm trying to stay positive throughout all this but its getting rather difficult at times.

The following user gives a hug of support to april1985:
lola456 (12-14-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-14-2011, 02:29 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

maggietaz HB Usermaggietaz HB Usermaggietaz HB Usermaggietaz HB Usermaggietaz HB Usermaggietaz HB Usermaggietaz HB Usermaggietaz HB User
Re: Complications after foot surgery.

April1985
I developed CRPS after breaking my foot twice last year, funny part about it, is where it was most painful was where I had had sugery previously the year before on my tibia to release the fascia. Anyway, there are things that can be done if intervention is done early enough. As you said, you have been on the web and that can be scary. Sometimes it can be put into a remissive state and it doesn't flare it's ugly head to often and other times it can be tough. I think I am one of the lucky ones. I have had several lumbar sympethetic nerve blocks as well as scar injections and my pain is pretty much on the low side most of the time. I do also have drugs if I need them, but I prefer not to take them unless I really need them. There is an RSD board on these boards as well if you haven't been there. Pain management is the way to go, I happen to be seeing my pain management doctor for something else and he is the one who figured out what was going on with my leg, the ortho. doc was headed in that direction, but the PM doc, went there much quicker as he is used to handled CRPS patients.

The Following User Says Thank You to maggietaz For This Useful Post:
april1985 (12-14-2011)
Old 12-14-2011, 09:35 PM   #3
(female)

maggietaz: I am planning on scheduling an appointment tomorrow morning with a pain management doctor that my physical therapist is recommending. My physical therapist and orthopedic doctor brought up the sympathetic nerve block as they both feel it may be the best plan of attack to help bring some pain relief. I'm hoping to be able to get in with the PM doctor relatively fast. I haven't been able to sleep well the past few nights as the pain has gotten worse at night and the nerve spasms are rather uncomfortable and annoying. The thought of getting a sympathetic nerve block scares me as it doesn't sound like a very comfortable procedure. Was it as bad as it sounds? Also I've heard that rest can be one of the worst things for this syndrome and that physical therapy is crucial. I've been in PT two to three times a week nonstop since April and am beginning to wonder if there is a end in sight. How long did you end up doing PT for?

Old 12-19-2011, 05:53 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

maggietaz HB Usermaggietaz HB Usermaggietaz HB Usermaggietaz HB Usermaggietaz HB Usermaggietaz HB Usermaggietaz HB Usermaggietaz HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by april1985 View Post
maggietaz: I am planning on scheduling an appointment tomorrow morning with a pain management doctor that my physical therapist is recommending. My physical therapist and orthopedic doctor brought up the sympathetic nerve block as they both feel it may be the best plan of attack to help bring some pain relief. I'm hoping to be able to get in with the PM doctor relatively fast. I haven't been able to sleep well the past few nights as the pain has gotten worse at night and the nerve spasms are rather uncomfortable and annoying. The thought of getting a sympathetic nerve block scares me as it doesn't sound like a very comfortable procedure. Was it as bad as it sounds? Also I've heard that rest can be one of the worst things for this syndrome and that physical therapy is crucial. I've been in PT two to three times a week nonstop since April and am beginning to wonder if there is a end in sight. How long did you end up doing PT for?

I didn't think the nerve blocks were that bad to get once I knew what to expect. The bad part for me was when then wore off and the pain came back. It always seemed that the pain was worse. The blocks I had worked fairly well the first few times. PT was good for me, got me moving again as I had backed off of exercising. It is important to stay away from cold.

Have you been to the PM doctor yet?

Old 12-19-2011, 09:52 PM   #5
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggietaz View Post
I didn't think the nerve blocks were that bad to get once I knew what to expect. The bad part for me was when then wore off and the pain came back. It always seemed that the pain was worse. The blocks I had worked fairly well the first few times. PT was good for me, got me moving again as I had backed off of exercising. It is important to stay away from cold.

Have you been to the PM doctor yet?
I got officially diagnosed with CRPS type 1 this morning. I see a pyshiatrist on Wednesday morning to discuss treatment and pain relief. I'm getting very nervous about what they are going to say. I'm thankful that they did catch it early and that I do have enough mobility to walk without assistance. My leg feels extremely weak and tight but I'm better off than most people who finally reach a diagnosis. I'm hoping for a good prognosis but am concerned after researching the syndrome.

Closed Thread