It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-21-2011, 12:37 AM   #1
(female)

alexia2011 HB User
Angry Achilles Contracture and posterior tibial tendonitis

I was diagnosed with Achilles Contracture and posterior tibial tendonits 10 weeks ago I was told that these were from my plantars fasciitis and very large heel spur.

8 and 1/2 weeks ago I had endoscopic plantar fasciotomy and had the heel spur rounded out. That part has seemed to be very successful as I no longer am in pain when I stand on the heel.

I spent 4 weeks in a fiberglass cast and 3 weeks in a cam walker and now I am going between an AOS brace (with orthotics and shoe) and the cam walker. I have not returned to work because of the size of the heel spur and because of my line of work.

I am a bit frustrated because the symptoms of the Achilles Contracture and Posterior Tibial Tendonitis pain surfaced in August (the symptoms were dismissed by a dif podiatrist as not knowing what was wrong other than my pf)

I am still in a great deal of pain from both of these conditions and yet my current Podiatrist is now saying that is from being in a cast for so long (this pain never went away) Nothing more than physical exams have been done to confirm the diagnosis.

So i'm just not sure what to think....

Old 12-21-2011, 03:24 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

roxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB User
Re: Achilles Contracture and posterior tibial tendonitis

It is interesting that you just posted this. 17 months ago I went through a successfull flat foot surgery. For the past four months, I have been dealing with achillese tendonitis and occasional very mild pain along the ptt. The podiatrist noted that the achillese tendon is in contracture. I can not even get the foot to neutral. The is absolutely a correlation between the tight achillese tendon and plantar fasciitis and posterior tibial tendonitis. I am in physical therapy to stretch the achillese tendon. So far, there has been no improvement. If another few weeks of pt does not help, the doctor mentioned lengthening the achillese tendon to prevent my ptt from progressing to pttd. I am suprised that your doctor did not recognize the impact that the achillese tendon can have on your ptt and plantar fasciitis. Perhaps you could go for a second opinion

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-21-2011, 03:42 PM   #3
(female)

alexia2011 HB User

I am surprised too, sorry to hear you are dealing with pain as well 17 months has to be taking it's toll on you. As far as another podiatrist goes I would have to do some research as I am seeing one of the best in my area and I already drive an hour just to get there.

Old 12-21-2011, 03:59 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

roxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB User

The surgery was done 17 months ago. That foot is so much better than it had been prior to surgery. My problem is with the other foot. The problem started about three months ago. Hopefully you will get some answers soon

Old 12-21-2011, 04:14 PM   #5
(female)

alexia2011 HB User

I see read it wrong. Best of luck to you as well.

Old 12-21-2011, 07:55 PM   #6
(female)

wants to walk HB Userwants to walk HB Userwants to walk HB Userwants to walk HB Userwants to walk HB Userwants to walk HB Userwants to walk HB Userwants to walk HB User

I had the same problem after flat foot reconstruction but with the same leg. My surgeon wanted to go in and work on lengthening the achilles/calf more but we agreed to work physio first. I hooked into a university sports medicine in Ottawa and after little progress, she recommended dry needle therapy. about 8 sessions, I had great improvement and avoided surgery (that I was thinking of not doing anyways). It's painful and pain last about 24-48 hours after-bad calf cramps but it was amazing. They use accupucture type needles and insert them into knots/problem areas until a muscle twitch response occurs (feels like charley horse) but it releases the muscle fibres and allows them to return to normal length which in turns helps with the shortening if the muscles. Might be worth reading about.

The Following User Says Thank You to wants to walk For This Useful Post:
alexia2011 (12-21-2011)
Old 12-21-2011, 10:58 PM   #7
(female)

alexia2011 HB User

I will start researching dry needle therapy and see if anyone around me practices it. The technique sounds like a common sense approach, in your case it sounds like the pain was worth resolving the problem. Thank you again!

Old 01-10-2012, 06:40 PM   #8
(female)

alexia2011 HB User
Exclamation Re: Achilles Contracture and posterior tibial tendonitis UPDATE

I had a very disappointing Dr's visit yesterday. I am now at Stage 2 of Posterior Tendon Tibial Dysfunction and I am now waiting to be fit with an Arizona AFO. I will be returning to work sometime after I get it but only for short shifts.

I was wondering what experiences if any, could be shared with me on success or failure anyone has had wearing this. Other than my podiatrist telling me I will be in a lot of pain wearing it. I haven't been told how long of a duration I will be wearing this.

I'm trying not to get too bummed out by this...lol

Old 01-10-2012, 07:20 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

I don't understand why your doctor is prescribing an arizona brace if he thinks that you will be in a great deal of pain when wearing it. I did have an arizona brace prior to surgery. Initially it did reduce the pain and enable to to get around but after a few months, even with the brace, I was experiencing a lot of pain. I was also stage two when I needed the surgery. I was told that the brace would be worn long term (if it had worked)
Have you had more than one opinion?

Old 01-10-2012, 07:53 PM   #10
(female)

alexia2011 HB User

He said it's the only option he has for the condition, idk if the pain would be related to me standing at my job or not. I have looked up the information and I haven't found a doctor that does not use the Arizona Brace for treatment.

Old 01-31-2012, 06:20 PM   #11
(male)

702bdr HB User

My only advice to anyone with the same problem is NOT to allow a podiatrist to perform reconstructive surgery on your feet or ankles.

Rather go to an orthopedic surgeon who specializes in one or both. They have completed medical school and thus their training is more complete in terms of the total body. A podiatrist is much like a chiropractor.

Google the subject for yourself and see what you learn on your own.

I have problems on both my feet and have had a kidney transplant. Obviously my point of view is somewhat different as I'm also concerned about the risk of infection.

- End-stage valgus arthritis with deltoid disruption, left ankle

- Stage 2A posterior tibial tendinopathy, right foot with Achilles contracture

I've extensively researched my situation and encourage you to do the same before making any decision.

Good luck.

Closed Thread